Ultra Runners

On short notice would you be more likely to do a 40k or 50k Fat Ass run? (Read 69 times)

andrew.albright

On short notice would you be more likely to do a 40k or 50k Fat Ass run?

On On

50K, for the stupid reason that I have done others of that length and I could some how compare my times and tell myself that my fitness is better or worse based on the time it took me to do the race.

Other than that maybe 40K, automatic PR.

Buzzie

Bacon Party!

40k. I'm feeling lazy.

Liz

pace sera, sera

Trail Monster

50k. Why would I run less than a marathon?

2013 races:

3/17 Shamrock Marathon

4/20 North Coast 24 Hour

7/27 Burning RIver 100M

8/24 Baker 50M

10/5 Oil Creek (distance to be determined)

My Blog

Brands I Heart:

FitFluential

INKnBURN

Altra Zero Drop

Kalsarikännit

50k. Why would I run less than a marathon?

Well, lots of reasons to run less than a marathon, but to stop 2 km short of one?  No way.

I want to do it because I want to do it.  -Amelia Earhart

Home Away From Home

Well, lots of reasons to run less than a marathon, but to stop 2 km short of one?  No way.

+1

MM#5768

"Anyone can do it in ideal conditions"- A quote from a true NE CN runner and friend.

xor

Eh.  It's a fat ass.  If you want to run an extra 2k, run an extra 2k and then come eat some soup and swap some beer.

Some maniacs have co-opted the 'fat ass' idea to be "a bunch of loops in the park so me and my buddy can count this as something and marvel at our stats".  But I digress.

I might be inclined to run the 40k specifically because it IS so close to marathon length and then is like, naaaah.  "screw you, trebek".  Training-wise, it's the same thing.  Fun-wise, well that depends on the course and the company.

Says the guy who doesn't really run anymore.  I'm going to try one of those 10k fat asses I think.

Phillyfatass

Bordering on spam like spamming
                  Purdey

Self anointed title

Guys - no need to create new profiles in order to promote fat ass events - just give us the details.  It always looks suspicious if a new profile posts something like that.  We don't want no spam.

Here are the details of the Philly Fat Ass:

http://phillyfatass.wordpress.com/2013/01/21/first-annual-february-philly-fat-ass-40k-feb-3rd/

Date – Sunday, February 3rd, 2013

Start time – 6:38 am (civil twilight sunrise)

Location – Beginning of Forbidden Drive Trail (Get Directions)

Course – 4x10k trail loop in North Wissahickon. Exact course TBD – most likely similar to the Wissahickon Trail Classic 10k - http://www.mapmyrun.com/routes/view/99107643. Exact course map will be posted by January 30th.

Fat Ass Disclaimer - This is not a race or organized run.  There is no support, no trail markings, no entry fee, no prizes, etc.

10k, 20k, 30k options – Feel free to run only run the course once, twice, or three times.

Self-support – Bring everything you need to complete the run. If you park at the start, then you’ll run by your car every lap. Plan B – There is also a coffee shop at the start.

Amenities - There is a port-a-john located at the S/F courtesy of the City Of Brotherly Love

Trail Monster

Maybe, but my point was more that I don't LIKE to run less than a marathon. I only run 5k's because my husband loves them. I run halves as training runs but usually I run more miles before/after too. Just seems like if I'm going to drive somewhere and hang out in the woods or whatever all day then I'd rather make it worth it. More miles, more fun right?!

2013 races:

3/17 Shamrock Marathon

4/20 North Coast 24 Hour

7/27 Burning RIver 100M

8/24 Baker 50M

10/5 Oil Creek (distance to be determined)

My Blog

Brands I Heart:

FitFluential

INKnBURN

Altra Zero Drop

DoppleBock

Either - Not important in my decision making

On short notice would you be more likely to do a 40k or 50k Fat Ass run?

Long dead ... But my stench lingers !

I'm going to try one of those 10k fat asses I think.

Is that a 10k marathon?

to op: it all depends on where I'm at in training and how I feel.

I ran in a FA event last Saturday, and opted for 17m version rather than the full monty (34m)

"Famous last words"  ~Bhearn

Dream Maker

Heh, yes, because you definitely can't have fun if it doesn't count for status.

I would do whichever one had more of my friends or was in a location I'd want to be at.  If they were exactly the same regardless, I'd go with the 50K because it's longer and it's gotten to the point if I have to find early morning childcare I want to get the most out of it.

Eh.  It's a fat ass.  If you want to run an extra 2k, run an extra 2k and then come eat some soup and swap some beer.

Some maniacs have co-opted the 'fat ass' idea to be "a bunch of loops in the park so me and my buddy can count this as something and marvel at our stats".  But I digress.

I might be inclined to run the 40k specifically because it IS so close to marathon length and then is like, naaaah.  "screw you, trebek".  Training-wise, it's the same thing.  Fun-wise, well that depends on the course and the company.

Says the guy who doesn't really run anymore.  I'm going to try one of those 10k fat asses I think.