Ultra Runners

Anyone know Waldo? (Read 751 times)

Just signed up for Waldo... has anyone run this race? http://www.ww100k.org/

WG, you should come so you can hang out with Craig T. I know you're a fan!

~Sara
    It's supposed to be hard. If it wasn't hard, everyone would do it. The hard is what makes it great. ~ Jimmy Dugan

xor

gumbee has.  I assume he'll be along shortly.

BTW, given that you posted about Waldo, you really should post a Christmas pic.

This is another one to ask Mrs Mullen about.  Also Karen Wiggins (are you a fb friend?), she busted up her arm or wrist there last year.  Oh, and I-have-5000-fb-friends Melissa.

I was just looking at their FAQ and noticed this under "Awards":

====

Show us Your Waldo This subjective award is judged by the aid stations. Each aid station will get one vote for the runner who shows or has the most or best Waldo. Early starters are eligible for this award. Prize is a free entry into the 2012 race, and the crazy perpetual hat that you must return in 2012 with your unique contribution added.

====

Ok then.

Heh, I ran this last year.

Tough course, good organization, great volunteers.

You will like it a lot.

"Famous last words"  ~Bhearn

Gumbee - You ever met up with KateMD aka Kate Merrill at Waldo?  She's run it the last 3 (4?) years.  She was the one who got into some medical trouble a couple of years ago, and I believe last year the RD used her as an example of what not to do when you are in a bad med situation.  She was thoroughly embarrassed. Big grin

Leslie
          Living and Running Behind the Redwood Curtain
          -------------

Trail Runner Nation

Sally McCrae-Choose Strong

Bare Performance

Gumbee - You ever met up with KateMD aka Kate Merrill at Waldo? 

I have not met her (formally) but think we have run some of the same races. 

I do not meet folks as easily as I would like.

My real life persona is much different then my interweb persona: I'm much scarier in real life Smile

You look a little like Dan Aykroyd, too.  Wink

Leslie
              -------------

Trail Runner Nation

Bare Performance

You look a little like Dan Aykroyd, too.  Wink

Ahem, "Fred Garvin, male prostitute"

This is another one to ask Mrs Mullen about.  Also Karen Wiggins (are you a fb friend?), she busted up her arm or wrist there last year.  Oh, and I-have-5000-fb-friends Melissa.

I was just looking at their FAQ and noticed this under "Awards":

====

Show us Your Waldo This subjective award is judged by the aid stations. Each aid station will get one vote for the runner who shows or has the most or best Waldo. Early starters are eligible for this award. Prize is a free entry into the 2012 race, and the crazy perpetual hat that you must return in 2012 with your unique contribution added.

====

Ok then.

You're funny. I do know Karen. She took a fall? Ick. And I only have 500ish fb friends... such a loser.

I don't have a waldo so that's not fair.

Where did you stay gumbee?? I'm excited! Seems like a good race.

~Sara
                  It's supposed to be hard. If it wasn't hard, everyone would do it. The hard is what makes it great. ~ Jimmy Dugan

Ahem, "Fred Garvin, male prostitute"

Big grin  pardonnez-moi

Leslie
                    -------------

Trail Runner Nation

Bare Performance

Where did you stay gumbee?? I'm excited! Seems like a good race.

Slept in my car (in parking lot)**

There are runners / crew that camp at the start / finish, in tents, campers and motorhomes.

Others (like me) slept in their cars. I think most of these folks were early starters, and by early start I mean EARLY (3:00AM)

They have the bathrooms open at the lodge to use, so that worked well.

**Last year (2010) I drove down on Friday, checked in, dined at the pre-race pasta feed, slept in my car (for about an hour or two), got up at 2:00AM for the 3:00AM early start, finished that SOB the race in a little under 16 hours, then drove home. Shit, just typing that makes me question my sanity.

The early start is 3:00 freaking a.m.??  If I ever get to the point where I want to run a 100k, that there is probably the one thing that would keep me from doing Waldo.

Leslie
                        -------------

Trail Runner Nation

Bare Performance

Kalsarikännit

Just signed up for Waldo... has anyone run this race? http://www.ww100k.org/

WG, you should come so you can hang out with Craig T. I know you're a fan!

This is high on my to-do list!  I am so jealous.

And I am a huge Thornley fan.  Unfortunately, I will probably just embarass myself when I beg him to be my friend.

I want to do it because I want to do it.  -Amelia Earhart

Unfortunately, I will probably just embarass myself when I beg him to be my friend.

What happens at Waldo, stays at Waldo

What happens at Waldo, stays at Waldo

Is that why everyone show's their Waldo?

~Sara

Is that why everyone show's their Waldo?

I can't answer that.

Please see my post above

That is all