Ultra Runners

Finished first 50! report. (Read 336 times)

Well I did it, I finished my first 50 miler one week after finishing my first Mountain Marathon.  I wanted to say thanks to everyone who answered all my posts on the forum and for the support.  It made a big difference for my performances.

The 50 miler was the little, unadvertised, 16 year old Resurrection 50.  The run is on the Kenai Peninsula in south central Alaska.  50 miles up and over a pass (5200') and then down the other side then up a fire road for 4 miles and another 2000' (this 4 mile climb starts at mile 42 of the race) then checkpoint at the top of the road then back down the road you just climbed and into the finish at the local high school.  Only two aide stations, one at mile 38 and then one at the top of the hill at mile 45.  We had to carry everyting.

Only 30 people showed up, this race has always been low key but has had some pretty famous runners, it was Geoff Roes first 50 miler (and yes of course he holds the course record).  We had a rain storm the night before so the trail was really slippery and muddy.  Some said the worst it has ever been.

I had a great day early on, I was still tired from last weeks Crow Pass Crossing (26 mile race) where I ran fast.  But yesterday I did good until about mile 32 and then I had to struggle for every step from there on out.  I had tons of hip pain all day and just had to push through.  

This was the toughest thing I have ever done in my life.  I think I did pretty well on the hydration front, the S! caps seem to work really well.  I didn't have any cramps until about mile 45 and then they went away pretty fast.  I wasn't really hungry but I forced myself to keep sucking down Honey Stingers, a sandwhich and some clif shots.  (probably about 220 cals an hour).  

I finished strong despite the pain.  I got 3rd place with a time of 8 hours 22 minutes.  7 minutes behind second place and 20 minutes behind first.  Not to shabby for a rookie.

At moments during the race I was convinced that the Marathon is the perfect distance as I would have been done hours ago, but now and even at the finish line I am already thinking about my next 50.

HoosierDaddy

GreyBeard

That is a fast 50 - especially for your first!  Congrats.  See any bears on your run?  Would be hesitant to run on trails there given some AK specials I've seen re: bears and communities

• Black Canyon 100k
      • RRR
      • Zane Grey 100k
      • High Lonesome 100
      • Wyoming Range 100 (?)
      • The Bear 100
      • Javelina Jundred (?)

Congratulations on a strong first 50 miler!  Forcing myself to eat when nothing sounds good is a huge problem for me.  Glad to see you were able to push that aside and take in the calories you needed.   Only 2 aid stations?  Wow.  That calls for carrying a bit of a load.

Again - Good job!!!

Leslie
        Living and Running Behind the Redwood Curtain
        -------------

Trail Runner Nation

Sally McCrae-Choose Strong

Bare Performance

Wow, great job!  That's hauling butt!! 
          Purdey

Self anointed title

I finished strong despite the pain.  I got 3rd place with a time of 8 hours 22 minutes.  7 minutes behind second place and 20 minutes behind first.  Not to shabby for a rookie.

That is a superb performance for your first 50 - especially given the elevation, conditions under foot and that it was (largely) unsupported.  Superb.  Not too shabby indeed.

100 next?

who knows...

Great job! That is a great time.
              "There is no I in εγω." --Unknown author, source of possible, but in no way certain, Greek origin
                Thanks, Everyone!

No bears were encountered by anyone during this race.  Although, up here that is always a very, very real possibility.  I always carry a can of bear (pepper) spray on my runs off road.  During the crow pass race (26.2 miles) there were a few bear encounters but no incidents.  The key is to say "Yo Bear" every 2 minutes or so and let the critters know you are coming down the trail.  Mostly they will clear out.  They just don't like to be surprised.  

Yes, I am planning two one hundreds now (this 50 miler experience really released my inner chains).  The "Susitna 100" in February.  A self supported 100 mile race across a frozen river out near my house.  I skied the 50k last year and am feeling like I can run the 100miler this time.  You have to pull a sled (well you don't have to but you do need to carry about 20 lbs. of gear and sleds seem to be how most accomplish this).

Then if that goes well I will try the hundred mile version of the Resurrection race I just did.  It's an out and back.  

One thing at a time though.  

Congratulations, YoBear!  Very nicely done. There were a lot of new faces in the 50miler. That's a fun trail to run.

That rain storm that made the trails muddy - that's what the 100milers were running in the night before in the dark and wind. I was volunteering at various places over the weekend.

"So many people get stuck in the routine of life that their dreams waste away. This is about living the dream." - Cave Dog
                    Congrats on a great run! That's a great time!

~Sara
                    It's supposed to be hard. If it wasn't hard, everyone would do it. The hard is what makes it great. ~ Jimmy Dugan