Ultra Runners

I'm suffering from overtraining (I guess?!). Now what? (Read 602 times)

I ran my first ultra, the NJ Trail Series 50K, back in March and I loved it.  I'm doing my next one, May 27th on my birthday at the Pineland Farms Trail Challenge 50K.  My dilemma is that I'm frankly tapped and virtually every step I take at this point kinda sucks a tiny bit more than the one that preceded it.  I've always loved running but right now I'm tired, cranky, gaining weight, not sleeping well, getting a bit depressed because I use running to mitigate stress and now it blows blah blah blah.   The number of miles I've been running of late is actually lower than the miles I used to log, these miles are just getting harder to gut out.

The obvious answer to me is that I'm heading into a taper as I'm 2 weeks (give or take) out from race day and to just cut back as I normally would in a taper.  Is there anything else I can or should be doing?  4 days after this race I'll be forced to take a break anyway as I'm having two back-to-back surgeries on June 1 & 8th (non running-related) which should certainly help.

DoppleBock

I would taper agressively - Meaning run a little less 75-80% of your normal taper miles.

I tend to have numerous days where I feel rough and I end up scrapping whatever run mileage / workout I hav planned.  I usually still run - Just a lot less or less intense.  But I typically suffer more when I am not eating enough then if I am running too much - So a nice big meal and early to bed does wonders.

In your case - How is your iron?  I had that issue last year. 

I ran my first ultra, the NJ Trail Series 50K, back in March and I loved it.  I'm doing my next one, May 27th on my birthday at the Pineland Farms Trail Challenge 50K.  My dilemma is that I'm frankly tapped and virtually every step I take at this point kinda sucks a tiny bit more than the one that preceded it.  I've always loved running but right now I'm tired, cranky, gaining weight, not sleeping well, getting a bit depressed because I use running to mitigate stress and now it blows blah blah blah.   The number of miles I've been running of late is actually lower than the miles I used to log, these miles are just getting harder to gut out.

The obvious answer to me is that I'm heading into a taper as I'm 2 weeks (give or take) out from race day and to just cut back as I normally would in a taper.  Is there anything else I can or should be doing?  4 days after this race I'll be forced to take a break anyway as I'm having two back-to-back surgeries on June 1 & 8th (non running-related) which should certainly help.

Long dead ... But my stench lingers !

So, can I blow off the 16-miler I had planned for tomorrow? Honestly, this happened to a lesser degree before MCM last Oct. and I just didn't run for more than an hour any day for last 3 weeks so I wouldn't spontaneously combust before race day. Perhaps even that's too much. I will definitely check my iron. I do eat tons of dark leafy things though. Thanks for thoughts and advice. I'm feeling pretty slow on uptake.

Buzzie

Bacon Party!

Cut back, back, back. If you're not feeling it, then any "training" you might be doing is doing more harm than good. The most important hay is in the barn. Arrive at your race feeling light, nimble, and so fresh you can't be contained.

Seriously.

Been there. Done that. More than once. Including the 24-hr I ran last week.

Kick back and chill for a bit. If the mojo returns, then take it for a nice mid-weekish sorta-long run. If not, keep it dialed back.

Liz

pace sera, sera

DoppleBock & Buzzie,

Jesus, I can't begin to convey the gratitude I feel hearing this...  I feel like a serious simp.  For someone with an advanced degree, it's amazing I can get myself out the door and up the street these days.  I was almost ready to attribute this to Lyme or some other random disease/disorder.  I serious haven't felt this fatigued in I don't know how long...  I'm not sure what I will do to find that (elusive these days) balance that running generally provides me, but I'll figure it out...  

I don't have much to add, save that I totally agree with the above advice, and I'll also be at Pineland Farms. Not ultra-in' it up though, just the 25k for me this time. Hope to see you there.

A list of my PRs in a misguided attempt to impress people that do not care.

Feeling the growl again

I would taper agressively - Meaning run a little less 75-80% of your normal taper miles.

This.  And I would definitely NOT do the 16-miler.

There is nothing you can do 2 weeks out from an ultra to really help you...but you can do a lot of things to hurt your performance, especially if you are on the edge or have already tipped over it.

I would be lazy, lazy, lazy....if it helps, you can even think of it as training.  If you are broken down normal training will make you slower and destroy endurance, but rest will make you faster....

"If you want to be a bad a$s, then do what a bad a$s does.  There's your pep talk for today.  Go Run." -- Slo_Hand

I am spaniel - Crusher of Treadmills

Buzzie

Bacon Party!

I would be lazy, lazy, lazy....if it helps, you can even think of it as training.  If you are broken down normal training will make you slower and destroy endurance, but rest will make you faster....

It IS training ... Training = Work + Rest

Liz

pace sera, sera

Feeling the growl again

Exactly Wink

Just accentuating it for the psychological value.

"If you want to be a bad a$s, then do what a bad a$s does.  There's your pep talk for today.  Go Run." -- Slo_Hand

I am spaniel - Crusher of Treadmills

3 glasses of amazing red wine later, you are making me very relieved. I love running and everything it has brought to my life. I credit it (when sober) for saving me from the horror,in huge part, of cancer treatment. The lesson here though is moderation & the common sense that must prevail. I've ignored this in my pursuit of proof I'm healthy & cancer-free. I will be lazy now, ride my expensive cyclocross bike that is collecting dust and run only when I can't stop myself from running. Thanks and Good Night.

Buzzie

Bacon Party!

Moderation in most things. Good red wine not being one of them. Smile

I'm chomping at the bit to get back out there after last weekend's race, but my heart rate variability (HRV) says otherwise. So ... I went out a did a little more than yesterday anyways ... and, I'm not ready. The hip that seized is still tired and worn out. My shoulders are still burning and I still can't get them out of my ears. So, it may just be some gentle barefoot walking and maybe some inline skating for another week or two or until next race June 2.

I'll wait until my heart says I'm ready to go ... it tends not to lie. To do anything else would be counterproductive - no matter what my ego likes to think.

Liz

pace sera, sera

I appreciate that no one flamed me for being hammered last night.  I did an easy barefoot beach run today that felt absolutely amazing.  I left my garmin at home which helped me to not push it.  I won't run tomorrow and will just plan to ride my bike to work (20 r/t) 3 days a week instead of running.  Thanks again for the advice.  Greg, I look forward to meeting you in Maine.  Are you camping there or have you found local accommodations?

Are you camping there or have you found local accommodations?

Neither. I live in Maine so it's a day trip for me. Should be fun. I'll likely be the guy in the swamp snglt or a winners circle running club singlet (but there'll likely be lots of those around.). Rest up, feel better.

A list of my PRs in a misguided attempt to impress people that do not care.

L Train

Pineland Farms Trail Challenge 50K.

I will be running this as well.  Greg C is such a wuss.

DoppleBock

I find overtraining interesting ~ THere are times I cannot understand how I am not a pile of over-trained poop and yet I feel invigorated and light on my feet(Running 2000 miles in 3 months).  Other times I am not running much at all and I can hardly get out the door and have sludge in my legs. 

For me part of it is how I take care of my non-running needs:  Sleep, Hydration, Proper Nutrition and booze or lack there of.  But even when I am doing all that I sometimes hit a tough 2-3 month stretch.

Sometimes its as much mental - After I knew I was not going to be able to do Monkey last year ~ I imploded and didn't care about anything.

Long dead ... But my stench lingers !