Ultra Runners

Bighorn 100 - pacer wanted (Read 639 times)

HoosierDaddy

GreyBeard

I am looking for a pacer Big grin.

I plan to do the 100 mile run.  Generally, don't require much other than the company and someone to suffer along with me. As many or as few miles as you wish.  Preferably, many!

Sheridan, WY.  Starts Friday at 10 a.m. June 15th.   Shooting for 24 hours or less.  Post here or PM, please, if interested.

• Black Canyon 100k
    • RRR
    • Zane Grey 100k
    • High Lonesome 100
    • Wyoming Range 100 (?)
    • The Bear 100
    • Javelina Jundred (?)

You'll ruin your knees!

Hey gang, let me just say that if you go do this, you won't be dissapointed!  Bighorn delivers on all facets of epicness!  Help a brother out! 

""...the truth that someday, you will go for your last run. But not today—today you got to run." - Matt Crownover (after Western States)

Kalsarikännit

Man.  It is going to be tough to defend your title at Hawthorn AND run 100 miles the next week.

Unless you think the Wyoming Rockies are going to be more beautiful than Terre Haute, IN, and are only planning on doing the one.

I wish I could commit to something like this, but I have no idea how long it will take me to get back to decent, healthy running shape.  I have always wanted to see this course. 

I want to do it because I want to do it.  -Amelia Earhart

The King of Beasts

I am going to say maybe. I hope to be going out west for the summer but I am not sure on dates.

"As a dreamer of dreams and a travelin' man I have chalked up many a mile. Read dozens of books about heroes and crooks, And I've learned much from both of their styles." ~ Jimmy Buffett

"I don't see much sense in that," said Rabbit. "No," said Pooh humbly, "there isn't. But there was going to be when I began it. It's just that something happened to it along the way."”

Unless you think the Wyoming Rockies are going to be more beautiful than Terre Haute, IN.

Terre Haute for the win.  The Wyoming Rockies don't have that unmistakable smell of Hot Dog Water that Terre Haute has. 

- Evansville native.

xor

Hot dog water!  HA.

I want to run Bighorn myself, but I can never make it fit my schedule.  Good luck with finding a pacer!

Kalsarikännit

Terre Haute for the win.  The Wyoming Rockies don't have that unmistakable smell of Hot Dog Water that Terre Haute has. 

Hmmmm.  I always thought that was meth lab that I smelled.

I want to do it because I want to do it.  -Amelia Earhart

HoosierDaddy

GreyBeard

I am going to say maybe. I hope to be going out west for the summer but I am not sure on dates.

Great - let me know when you figure out your plans.  What better way to start off your Pb training than a long trek !

WG - I wish the Hawthorne was after this.  I so miss the hot fires in the campgrounds during a 90 degree day, the attack dog at the top of the "big" climb, and the locals smoking stuff while their kids run around barefoot and unattended.  Actually, I do like that race and intended to do again.  

• Black Canyon 100k
                  • RRR
                  • Zane Grey 100k
                  • High Lonesome 100
                  • Wyoming Range 100 (?)
                  • The Bear 100
                  • Javelina Jundred (?)

Ostrich runner

I would love to, but it's poor form for a pacer to slow you down a couple minutes per mile.

http://www.runningahead.com/groups/Indy/forum

HoosierDaddy

GreyBeard

Ok - so I need a pacer for both Bighorn and Leadville.  Any suggestions on other boards or list-serves that I can hit up people for help?

Offer still open for this lovely bunch, too Big grin

• Black Canyon 100k
                      • RRR
                      • Zane Grey 100k
                      • High Lonesome 100
                      • Wyoming Range 100 (?)
                      • The Bear 100
                      • Javelina Jundred (?)

Ostrich runner

Are you from Indiana? You might get a taker on indianatrailrunning.com there are a handful of people on there who were either at Leadville as racers or pacers in the last few years. 

http://www.runningahead.com/groups/Indy/forum

HoosierDaddy

GreyBeard

Beef - thanks for the suggestion.

I ended up bailing on Bighorn for few reasons...

Did sign up for San Diego 100 - hopefully it will offer some scenic trails, too.

• Black Canyon 100k
                          • RRR
                          • Zane Grey 100k
                          • High Lonesome 100
                          • Wyoming Range 100 (?)
                          • The Bear 100
                          • Javelina Jundred (?)

Did sign up for San Diego 100 - hopefully it will offer some scenic trails, too.

Loved San Diego! Scott Mills does an amazing job as RD and I thought you got a lot of bang for your buck there. Lots of miles on the PCT. Scenery was very different from what I'm used to but beautiful in it's own way (canyons, low brush, meadows). I did it alone with no pacer or crew and felt pretty safe/didn't get lost. Lots of trail, not much road at all. Definitely some technical, rocky sections. It was HOT during the day and facking cold at night... probably because I was moving like a slug. I'm a sea level dweller so even the higher, but model elevation proved to be a bit challenging.

This was one of my low points around mile 40ish... nobody got pictures of me sitting on the trail puking around mile 90. Ha!

~Sara
                            It's supposed to be hard. If it wasn't hard, everyone would do it. The hard is what makes it great. ~ Jimmy Dugan

HoosierDaddy

GreyBeard

I did it alone with no pacer or crew and felt pretty safe/didn't get lost.

This was one of my low points around mile 40ish... nobody got pictures of me sitting on the trail puking around mile 90. Ha!

Thanks for responding.  Is it fairly exposed the whole day?  

You look pretty good there, really (40 miles in heat?!)

100 alone is heroic.  You can do whatever you want on the trail when you are solo. I may end up solo at Leadville this year unless I find a pacer or am able to sync up well with a friend or two (or some random, unknowing person).

• Black Canyon 100k
                              • RRR
                              • Zane Grey 100k
                              • High Lonesome 100
                              • Wyoming Range 100 (?)
                              • The Bear 100
                              • Javelina Jundred (?)

Thanks for responding.  Is it fairly exposed the whole day?  

You look pretty good there, really (40 miles in heat?!)

It's pretty exposed. Not entirely, but quite a bit. I was doing heat training for Badwater pacing and I really think it helped me. The heat didn't get to me until climbing out of the canyon just before that picture was taken. It's one of the only big climbs and totally exposed. Just seemed to go on forever, but there was someone handing out popsicles half-way. Smile The course is quite runnable... there are only a few sizable climbs. I felt like I was cruising for the first 30 which was a very different experience from Cascade Crest which has some bigger climbs right away.

~Sara
                                It's supposed to be hard. If it wasn't hard, everyone would do it. The hard is what makes it great. ~ Jimmy Dugan