Ultra Runners

MMTR 50 Registration (Read 493 times)

DoppleBock

I can not find the date or registration area for this race

Retired 1/1/13 ... Tired of being broken and fat  ... Hit 296# Memorial Day 2016 - New goal = To be able to enjoy running 4-5 hours through the woods again by Fall 2016.

I found the date of 11/5/11 under a link about the Beast series however did not find how to register.

2011 Event Information

Race Name: Details:
      Holiday Lake 50k++ Appomattox, VA
      February, 12 2011**
      Terrapin Mountain 50k & 1/2 Marathon Sedalia, VA
      March, 26 2011**
      Promise Land 50k Bedford, VA
      April, 23 2011**
      Grindstone 100 Staunton, VA
      October, 7-9 2011*
      Mountain Masochist (MMTR) - 50 Miles Lynchburg, VA
      November, 5 2011**
      Hellgate 100k Fincastle, VA
      December, 10 2011
      DoppleBock

Boy I would like to do this race - But I can not take the 1st 4 working days of month off - So I will have to wait for it to cycle through

Retired 1/1/13 ... Tired of being broken and fat  ... Hit 296# Memorial Day 2016 - New goal = To be able to enjoy running 4-5 hours through the woods again by Fall 2016.

Hmm, being a landlubber from the Chicago suburbs and only mild hills left from glaciers, I wonder how the hell to train for something like this? 

How do these races differ from the Dances with Dirt series?

Boy I would like to do this race - But I can not take the 1st 4 working days of month off - So I will have to wait for it to cycle through

DoppleBock

DWD Devils Lake 50M / Glacial 50M- Likely close to many mountain races in total elevation change and difficulty factor - Just different.

Mountain races you often climb for miles @ a time and decend for miles at a time - This allows you to get into a good rythm.  Glacial 50M - The biggest hill is probably 150 verticle feet.  It is constant change - Up 100 - Down 100 - up/down up/ down.  Glacial has @ 12,500 feet of elevation change in 50M.

So - what can a flatlander do?

Climbing can be simulated on a tm up to 15% and if you own it - put blocks under it and get it to 25-30% incline.  That is important, but not where us flatlanders will fail / suffer the most.  It is the downhills - the quad busitng - hope smashing - life draining downhills.

How can we train for the downhills?  I am not sure.  Locally I have a steep 1/2 mile hill (30 minutes away) that I can repetitively walk up and run down for hours at a time.  My home town - 90 minutes away has a ski area with with @ 700 verticle feet and a state park at the top.  I plan on parking at the bottom of the road up - running / power hiking up the road - then running down the ski hill - back up the ski hill and back down the road - then repeat amny times.

So 1-2x a week on the closer big hill

2x a month on the ski hill

2x a month on the Glacial 50 mile trails (60 minutes away)

April - July to prepare for Leadville

Hmm, being a landlubber from the Chicago suburbs and only mild hills left from glaciers, I wonder how the hell to train for something like this? 

It is the downhills - the quad busitng - hope smashing - life draining downhills.

Big grin  Can you be more specific, please?

Leslie
              Living and Running Behind the Redwood Curtain
              -------------

2016 Preliminary List:

Feb 13 - Hagg Lake 50k; Mar 19 - 4MPH Challenge; June 4 - Grasshopper Peak 30k; June 17 & 18 - Wild Rogue Relay; June 25 & 26 Western States Volunteer; July 23 - Pick Your Poison 24 Hr.

"You're a good man, Dad." "I'm a good man?"  "The best . . ."  Jim Gleason 04-13-1941 to 08-25-2015
              Ultrarunnerpodcast

Trail Runner Nation

DoppleBock

Damn Flatlanding, no good brothers-in-law from Illinoise. 

Hows about I take a baseball bat to your quads 2x a week - Should toughen them up

FIB - Not the fun in bed type ...

DoppleBock

Just kidding ... mostly

Hmm, after hearing about your training schedule, the bat to the quads is sounding like the easy route...  Last couple years training for Boston I ran snake rd in Lake Geneva, which has some brutal hills, but I could not imagine running down a 700ft hill once much less multiple times.  Must be the cheese curds that keeps those joints limber Smile

Damn Flatlanding, no good brothers-in-law from Illinoise. 

Hows about I take a baseball bat to your quads 2x a week - Should toughen them up

FIB - Not the fun in bed type ...