Ultra Runners

Running hydration vest/pack (Read 35 times)

philarunner

Hi folks, I’m doing my first 50K is three weeks—the Under Armour mountain run in Killington, VT. I’m hoping this will be the first of many as I turn more to trails than the road.

Any suggestions on running packs? I think I’d rather have a vest that holds bottles rather than a bladder, but I’m open to all suggestions. I’m thinking about the Salamon S Lab Sense Ultra 5. Any experience with that one? Other thoughts?

Thanks all!

Bert-o

I lost my rama

Hi, I have the Salomon Advanced Skin 12, which doesn't look too different.  Both have 2 x 500 ml soft flasks.  Very comfortable, and no chaffing issues.  I think it would be fine for a 50K.  If there's more than a couple hours in between aid stations, I'd get something that carries more water or carry a handheld bottle with it, especially if hot.  Good luck on your race!

3/17 - NYC Half

4/28 - Big Sur Marathon  DNS

6/29 - Forbidden Forest 30 Hour

8/29 - A Race for the Ages - will be given 47 hours

Pain is my friend

I have the Salomon S Lab Sense Ultra 5.  Love it.  Light wait and functional. I use it from 50k to 100 miles.  If 2 bottles aren't enough just carry another in the back.

ATY 24   141.445 2019 1st

Bear 100 22:08 2021 

Jackpot 100 Feb 14:59 - 5th

Pulse endurance 48 hr 175.3 miles

Bonnevile Backyard ultra 

Ute 100 Aug

24 hour loop race?

GC100k

Hi, I have the Salomon Advanced Skin 12, which doesn't look too different.  Both have 2 x 500 ml soft flasks.  Very comfortable, and no chaffing issues.  I think it would be fine for a 50K.  If there's more than a couple hours in between aid stations, I'd get something that carries more water or carry a handheld bottle with it, especially if hot.  Good luck on your race!

My first 50k I (against race rules) didn't carry anything. The longest time between aid stations was less than 2 hours and it was a cool day with temps in the mid 70s. But I think I like sipping a bit now and then rather than gulping down and eating at aid stations. For the same race this year I used an Ultimate Direction Timothy Olson race vest that has 2 x 500 mL soft flasks. It worked perfect for the race, but it has very little other storage and for long runs I'd like to have something with more storage so I could stick another bottle in the back and maybe a jacket or hat.

dhuffman63

Trails

I have the Orange Mud Endurance pack.  I like to fill the bladder 1/2 full if AS are closer...but being slow I may need more than that.  I'd rather end with some left than run out.  I do like the front pockets to put in stuff I like to eat (I nibble all day at work anyway) and the little pocket in back has a small first aid kit.  I'm a firm believer in "Just in Case"...drove my DD crazy growing up but you never know.

T Hound

Slower but happier

ive got a Salomon  Adv 12 sense or set or something.  Names are  annoying but it fits great.  Really no movement or chaffing. Definitely overkill for 50k in terms of room, cost etc.  But I mention it in case you plan longer races in the future.    I swapped out the small salomon flasks for wider mouth ultraflasks that are 20 oz i belive.  The small mouths on salomon flasks cause trouble.  I also like straws but they come both ways now. Now if this is a one off thing or not sure, i would go with something a little cheaper.  I used a cheap Nathan for long time and just stuffed hand held water bottles in the front.

2020 goal:  couch to 5K, currently working on the couch block

philarunner

Thanks, everyone. I think I’m going to pull the trigger on the Salamon Ultra 5.

Bert-o

I lost my rama

ive got a Salomon  Adv 12 sense or set or something.  Names are  annoying but it fits great.  Really no movement or chaffing. Definitely overkill for 50k in terms of room, cost etc.  But I mention it in case you plan longer races in the future.    I swapped out the small salomon flasks for wider mouth ultraflasks that are 20 oz i belive.  The small mouths on salomon flasks cause trouble.  I also like straws but they come both ways now. Now if this is a one off thing or not sure, i would go with something a little cheaper.  I used a cheap Nathan for long time and just stuffed hand held water bottles in the front.

What brand of ultraflask are you using?  I find the 500 ml soft flasks to be a snug fit, so a 20 oz would be bigger.  Do you have any issues getting them into the pouch?

3/17 - NYC Half

4/28 - Big Sur Marathon  DNS

6/29 - Forbidden Forest 30 Hour

8/29 - A Race for the Ages - will be given 47 hours