Ultra Runners

Walking (Read 397 times)

jeffdonahue

Okay so a couple questions for the experts here as I start to look forward to my 50 miler training this summer.

1.)  Do you do a walk/run schedule when you do Ultras, and if so what is it (5/1, 25/5)?

2.)  When training, do you do the run/walk schedule on every run or just your long runs or not at all?

DoppleBock

The 50s I have done have been on trails with moderate to steep hills - So I do not have a schedule of walking - I just powerhike the hills I deem as walkers and any other time I feel like it.

I ran 1 road 50 - But it had some major hills in the 1st 25 miles - I walked 4-5 hills in the 1st 25 - Then it became flat, so I ran the rest of the time

It will depend on the course and you fitness level to run hills and run 50 miles straight.

So tell us about the race again

Long dead ... But my stench lingers !

jeffdonahue

it is a trail race (Stone Cat 50 miler - Ipswich, MA), but from what I have heard from friends that have run it there arent really any big hills and the trails (other than some areas with a few rocks and roots) are not too technical.

So with no large hills (though I plan to run the route in early July to check it out so will know more then) i was thinking of implementing some sort of walking plan in there to help me finish more comfortably since it is my first and my whole goal will be just to finish.

DoppleBock

I think that sounds reasonable - Although you will know more after you see some of the course, so I would remain flexible.  I would still consider taking my walk breaks on hills even if they are not steep. 

I personally like the Idea of a 25/5 over a 5/1 - My main goal in a 50 is to zone out - get in a rythm and eat up miles.  Walking every 5 minutes would make that more difficult.

IMHO

You'll ruin your knees!

You could have a plan in place to walk/run on timed intervals, 25/5 is probably just fine.  Still, the course will find ways to convince you to walk in certain places.  If not, you can also plan on walking x minutes following each aid station.  Put a sandwich bag(s) in your pack/pocket and go through the aid station like a cafeteria, filling your bag with anything that looks good.  Walking for 10 min out of an AS gives you time to chew, swallow and wash it down and to think about what you may have forgotten back at the aid station.  Between the AS breaks and some natural places that the course may slow you down, there may be no need for timed intervals. 

Remember to walk early and remember to run late...

""...the truth that someday, you will go for your last run. But not today—today you got to run." - Matt Crownover (after Western States)

Imminent Catastrophe

I'm considering Stone Cat too. Maybe I'll see you.

I believe in the "Train like you race, race like you train" method. So I do incorporate walking on steeper sections on training runs, especially the long ones. I'll sometimes do it on the treadmill too--set it to a good grade like 10% and set a brisk powerhike pace. I think it's helped me get faster on those walking sections and it's a pretty good cardio low-impact workout too.

"Able to function despite imminent catastrophe"

"To obtain the air that angels breathe you must come to Tahoe"--Mark Twain

"The most common question from potential entrants is 'I do not know if I can do this' to which I usually answer, 'that's the whole point'.--Paul Charteris, Tarawera Ultramarathon RD.

√ Javelina Jundred Jalloween 2015

Cruel Jewel 50 mile May 2016

Western States 100 June 2016

DoppleBock

I do this, but other times it is not connected

Often I practice walking separate from running - But when trail running - I do what he said

I'm considering Stone Cat too. Maybe I'll see you.

I believe in the "Train like you race, race like you train" method. So I do incorporate walking on steeper sections on training runs, especially the long ones. I'll sometimes do it on the treadmill too--set it to a good grade like 10% and set a brisk powerhike pace. I think it's helped me get faster on those walking sections and it's a pretty good cardio low-impact workout too.

+1

I think that sounds reasonable - Although you will know more after you see some of the course, so I would remain flexible.  I would still consider taking my walk breaks on hills even if they are not steep.

I would advise getting out an running some of the course.  This was invaluable for me earlier in the year running Ice Age 50.  If I had not done so, I would have drastically overestimated how fast I could run it and would have probably resulted in a death march.  There were not many real big hills (maybe 1 or 2 1/4 mile or so) either but the constant up/down of little hills really got to me.  The more time you can spend running similar terrain the more prepared you will be for the race. 

The other consideration is whether you need to walk or not on a timed interval.  Like jlynnbob said, the course will most likely force you to walk and if you go out slow enough walking is not a must every X minutes.  As a rookie 50 mile runner I managed to finish with an acceptable (to me) 20 minute positive split with no scheduled walk breaks.  Not saying don't do this if this is what you want to do, but it doesn't have to be a necessity.

HoosierDaddy

GreyBeard

I personally like the Idea of a 25/5 over a 5/1 - My main goal in a 50 is to zone out - get in a rythm and eat up miles.  Walking every 5 minutes would make that more difficult.

IMHO

This is ideal.  Walk ups / power hike ups and run flats and downs. Then just walk when you want to but don't get caught walking with others thinking it is okay - can suck you down with them if you still have more to give.

• Black Canyon 100k
                    • RRR
                    • Zane Grey 100k
                    • High Lonesome 100
                    • Wyoming Range 100 (?)
                    • The Bear 100
                    • Javelina Jundred (?)

Imminent Catastrophe

+1

I would advise getting out an running some of the course.  This was invaluable for me earlier in the year running Ice Age 50. 

Absolutely, if possible do part of the course, this made all the difference for me, knowing what to expect is very, very helpful (OMG will this hill ever end? Yes, it will). 

"Able to function despite imminent catastrophe"

"To obtain the air that angels breathe you must come to Tahoe"--Mark Twain

"The most common question from potential entrants is 'I do not know if I can do this' to which I usually answer, 'that's the whole point'.--Paul Charteris, Tarawera Ultramarathon RD.

√ Javelina Jundred Jalloween 2015

Cruel Jewel 50 mile May 2016

Western States 100 June 2016