Ultra Runners

Glacial 50M / 50K October 9th (Read 667 times)

DoppleBock

Greenbush, WI

This is a great race - I was running 4+ hours on the course last Saturday and it is in great condition - Fall colors are nice, the grass has all been cut down to a reasonable length and no standing water.

This is a low key "Runners" race.  Starting and ending at Greenbush Firestation.  The course is excellently marked and lots of variety - Some smooth places, some super technical.  One thing I like about this course, I never have to think about when to walk - There are fequent enough small hills (20-100 foot) that I get plenty of walking

Afterward is Chilli (Meat and Meatless) some soup and sandwhiches and last year there were a couple of coolers with beer along with soda and water.  People just hang out outside on the grass or inside and chat.

Another nice feature - Only top so many people get awards (No AG or Maters) so they had you your award as you cross the finish line.

This year I am going to have fun in the 50k - Not race, just run.  I am at peace in the fact I will finish in the middle of the pack - Feeling good.

Anyone want to join me?

Long dead ... But my stench lingers !

jjameson

I was going to do this but my wife informed me we have houseguests that weekend.  Argh.  I guess that means I can't go.  Thinking about Door County 50 (2 weeks later) instead.  Been running a lot of road.  Good luck.

Joe

Not this year, Chicago marathon is the same day. It is on my todo list though.
        DoppleBock

flatfooter - Have a great Chicago!

If you do it - Do the 50 mile if you can ... I am just looking for a workout, so I am doing the 50k

Roch

DB - I'll be there next week; I'm penciled for the 50M.  This is my target race for the year so I'm aiming to leave it all out on the trail   Like you said, nothing big in the way of climbs, but the course is pretty relentless with the hills.  They keep coming... the 50M is said to be one of the harder trails in all the midwest.  I've run the entire course now and I don't know if I'd give it that title or not.  As you mentioned, great variety of trail.

I'll be heading out there about 5am, we take off at 6.  I'll most likely have a red running jacket on if you're out there that early.

DoppleBock

Harder than Ice Age 50M for sure

Easier than Superior 50M

I will not be there that early - We start @ 7:00am - For some reason iif that changes I will look for you.

Roch

Harder than Ice Age 50M for sure

Easier than Superior 50M

I will not be there that early - We start @ 7:00am - For some reason iif that changes I will look for you.

IAT50M is less technical and only about +/- 5,500'

I've heard Superior 50M is more technical and about +/- 10,000'

I've run the course at GT50M although this will be my first time racing GT50M.  It's in the middle technical-wise and about +/- 9,000.

I may catch you at the finish,  I'm shooting for about a 8:45 finish, so about 2:45 in the afternoon for me.  All depends on how my left leg holds up.  It's not 100% at this time, but oh well it's a little too late to test drive a new one.

Roch

Well instead of the 40-55*F we were projected to have on Sunday, it appears to be more in tune with 60-75*F.  Thanks a lot Al Gore!

Needless to say, I won't need the jacket.

Avoid chafing; run naked.

DoppleBock

If you have not run it before - I strongly suggest 2 handhelds or a hydration pack -

Sadly, I do not think we will meet - I am carpooling and we are shooting to get there @ 6:15am and he has to leave by 2:00pm

But I hope you have a great race!

Well instead of the 40-55*F we were projected to have on Sunday, it appears to be more in tune with 60-75*F.  Thanks a lot Al Gore!

Needless to say, I won't need the jacket.

Avoid chafing; run naked.

DoppleBock

Smiled almost the whole race - Beautiful day in the woods - I was happy to do 50k as it was starting to get warm and the beer was really cold at the end.

2:27 1st half

2:26 back in

1st half did include 4 minute poop in the woods break ... but a nice even split - Felt good all day and felt I kept it at "Training" effort ... Goal was to be between 4:50-5:10

You'll ruin your knees!

1st half did include 4 minute poop in the woods break ... but a nice even split

...quotable Heh...

""...the truth that someday, you will go for your last run. But not today—today you got to run." - Matt Crownover (after Western States)

Oh roo roooo!

Dopplebock, glad to hear you had a good run!  I believe a gal won the 50K, didn't she? 

I was volunteering at the Hwy. 67 aid station up until noon.  We had one 50-miler who was having a really bad day...the dude started 15 minutes late, due to arriving late.  Then he got lost in the first 7 miles leading up to the Hwy. 67 station.  Then once we sent him out of there, he apparently got confused and fell (or fell and got confused) and about 20 minutes later was back at our aid station, not realizing it was where he had just been....personally, I would have called it a day about then, but he headed out once again--we did not see him by noon, so I can only hope the rest of his day went better!

Lots more runners this year than last--about 100 ran the 50K and 60 did the 50 miler, as opposed to 70 and 39 last year.

xor

1st half did include 4 minute poop in the woods break ... I kept it at "Training" effort ...

No, it sounds to me like you left it all out on the course.

Imminent Catastrophe

1st half did include 4 minute poop in the woods break ...

I'm sure you put it in a baggie and disposed of it properly. RIght?

"Able to function despite imminent catastrophe"

"To obtain the air that angels breathe you must come to Tahoe"--Mark Twain

"The most common question from potential entrants is 'I do not know if I can do this' to which I usually answer, 'that's the whole point'.--Paul Charteris, Tarawera Ultramarathon RD.

√ Javelina Jundred Jalloween 2015

Cruel Jewel 50 mile May 2016

Western States 100 June 2016

Roch

Honeypig, sounds like that guy had a rough day. Ouch. DB, I had a great race myself. I'd have liked the colder temps, but can't complain too much. Great race conditions and overall experience. Finished 2nd overall in 8:45:55, splits being 4:08/4:37. Second half of the course is overall uphill with warmer conditions. I'm pleased with the result.