Ultra Runners

Running trails near Cheyenne, Wy? (Read 441 times)

Jeff F

Free Beer

I posted this in the trail forum and someone suggested I post this here.

Does anyone know if there are any good running trails within a reasonable driving distance of Cheyenne, WY?  I will be visiting my family in the area in a couple of weeks and want to check out the local trails.  I tried to locate a Cheyenne running club but it does not appear there is one. That is usually a good source for running information.

Kalsarikännit

I'm going to back what A1 said in the trail forum. Medicine Bow Nat Forest is pretty cool. I did the 24 hrs of Laramie there, and it was a very pretty setting. Altitude for our 8.5 mi loop was between 8100-8800. One trail we used was a rocky, technical mess, others were smooth. It has a little of everything. It is off of I-80, so easy to get to from Cheyenne.

I want to do it because I want to do it.  -Amelia Earhart

Purdey

Self anointed title

There is trail forum? Huh.

Kalsarikännit

Yuppers. Check out the (stickied) pictures thread. It doesn't suck.

Purdey

Self anointed title

Seen it now. It doesn't suck a lot. A lot.

Jeff F

Free Beer

Sounds like Medicine Bow is the place to check out.

Thanks!

Jeff F

Free Beer

WG, do you remember?  Did it start and finish at the rest stop with the Lincoln Monument?  If it did, you are correct that is a only short drive from Cheyenne.  Thanks for the information!

Ostrich runner

Did some running around Vedauwoo last week, went through there last night and the sky was ripping open. There is a nice loop around the rocks and several side trails to explore. 

http://www.runningahead.com/groups/Indy/forum

Kalsarikännit

Sorry, Jeff. Just saw your question. I don't remember a Lincoln Monument. Will I see you this week?

Look at this page for directions to where we raced: http://gemimiadventures.com/new/?page_id=100 Look under course/directions.

Jeff F

Free Beer

Sorry, Jeff. Just saw your question. I don't remember a Lincoln Monument. Will I see you this week?

Look at this page for directions to where we raced: http://gemimiadventures.com/new/?page_id=100 Look under course/directions.

Yes, I will see you tomorrow if you are working.

Thanks for the directions.

Jeff F

Free Beer

Thanks for the great advice.

Just thought I would provide an update. I ran a 12 mile trail run on Sunday in the Medicine Bow National Forest. The trailhead was at the Happy Jack Campground parking lot. No maps available, but met another runner at the trailhead who gave me some sketchy directions. This area had multiple trails and anyone who is directionally challenged could have easily gotten lost. Ended up doing one loop of a little over 6 miles and then an out and back on a perimeter trail. The first loop was almost all single track which I would have called mildly technical, one section was called the Haunted Forest which was pretty overgrown but still passable. The out and back was on a road and a fairly easy trail. Total elevation change for the 12 miles was probably only a couple thousand feet. When I go back to visit my family I would do this again and run more of the other trails. This appeared to be primarily a mountain biker area, but did see a handful of other runners, almost all running with dogs.