Ultra Runners

Looking for something fun to do in December (Read 540 times)

Here's my race report from Hellgate 2011 if interested.  It's moderately long.

http://www.extremeultrarunning.com/2011_hellgate/stories/joe_jameson.htm

Joe, your race report is still inspiring reading the second time around.  Awesome performance in the race!  Are you doing it again this year?

I wish there were more local winter ultras.  Weather in the midwest is not usually that bad.  Seems like if there are races, they are usually extreme like Arrowhead 135 or Frozen Otter 60M.  I might consider the Frozen Otter though if I am in better shape next winter.

DoppleBock

Tuscobia in Park Falls WI

http://tuscobia.wordpress.com/

If it happens this year?

50k - 75 mile 150 mile

But it can get really damn cold around that area.

Long dead ... But my stench lingers !

jjameson

Joe, your race report is still inspiring reading the second time around.  Awesome performance in the race!  Are you doing it again this year?

I wish there were more local winter ultras.  Weather in the midwest is not usually that bad.  Seems like if there are races, they are usually extreme like Arrowhead 135 or Frozen Otter 60M.  I might consider the Frozen Otter though if I am in better shape next winter.

I'd love to do Hellgate again, but it's sort of hard to get to and too far to drive for a weekend.  With airline prices up, I'm not sure.  I'm signed up for JFK and my brother lives in Wash DC so I may do that for November.  I've been looking at Bandera 100K for something different in Texas.  Might do Glacial Age.

If I stay healthy, thinking:

Superior 50M

Glacial 50K or 50M

JFK 50

Bandera 100K

Tuscobia would be a last minute decision but I've been eyeing it since its' debut.

DoppleBock

I will be at Glacial - 50M

If the 24 goes poorly in 2 weeks I will be doing something @ Superior - But more likely the 100M 

I'd love to do Hellgate again, but it's sort of hard to get to and too far to drive for a weekend.  With airline prices up, I'm not sure.  I'm signed up for JFK and my brother lives in Wash DC so I may do that for November.  I've been looking at Bandera 100K for something different in Texas.  Might do Glacial Age.

If I stay healthy, thinking:

Superior 50M

Glacial 50K or 50M

JFK 50

Bandera 100K

Tuscobia would be a last minute decision but I've been eyeing it since its' debut.

Long dead ... But my stench lingers !

Trent

Good Bad & The Monkey

I say this or Lookout Mountain - TN seem possible so far. 

Love this one, and may run it again every year for the rest of my life.

Last year, the weather was actually perfect. Mid 40s most of the day, with loads of water down on the ground and in swollen creeks, but loads of sun in the sky. Very pretty. NOT flat, but lots of very runnable segments on reasonable single track most of the way. Love this race. And great organization! And there is even one place where you need to go up and then down a hill so steep you use a rope they have tied to trees.

Website

Couple of my pics:

xor

Yeah, that water crossing looks fun.  The HUFF ones do not.

Perhaps the facial expressions help.

Trent

Good Bad & The Monkey

There is also this:

December

12/16  Trent  Lookout Mountain 50 mi  Chattanooga

I'm sure Trent would be happy to arrange for some interesting weather.  Maybe it won't be heat, but a blizzard with -20 degree temps in TN.

High @ 60 degrees, in December.

Wow.

Duke of the Internet

Maybe Desert Solstice - But I am not sure that is for fun.

Trail running is fun ~ It has to be no later than 12/16 ~ Then it is downhill ski season (Family fun) until Mid-March.

Hellgate - Sounds way to serious

I want to do hellgate so bad.  I have loved the reviews of this race.  Plus running at night is the best!

Duke of the Internet

Pine Mountain 40 in Georgia Dec 2. Rocky and Rooty, and GUTS puts on a great race.

I ran pine mountain last year.  What an awesome race!!  I would recommend this to anyone. 

Trent

Good Bad & The Monkey

There is also this:

December

12/16  Trent  Lookout Mountain 50 mi  Chattanooga

I'm sure Trent would be happy to arrange for some interesting weather.  Maybe it won't be heat, but a blizzard with -20 degree temps in TN.

Weather was great in the end, and I dropped over an hour off of last year's time, coming in under my goal: 11:47 Smile

Course is still beautiful and still tough.

Nice.  Congrats Trent!

Duke of the Internet

Here's my race report from Hellgate 2011 if interested.  It's moderately long.

http://www.extremeultrarunning.com/2011_hellgate/stories/joe_jameson.htm

Joe great report.  I loved your every wood.  What place did you finish in?  Not that it matters but you mentioned your place earlier in the report (11th at the half way point, so just curious). 

BTW-I loved your race in Marquette.  I only did the 50K in 2009 but loved every minute of it.  Great course.  Great volunteers.  Great shirt.  I have my AG award (little ceramic pot with some soap) on my shelf at home.