Ultra Runners

100k to 100 mile shoe options (Read 53 times)

berylrunner

Rick

Hey all, what are you running in.  I sure would like to put a shoe on and not worry about it.  My last race was a 50k and changed shoes 3 times not happy with any.  I know shoes are highly individual and depend on terrain, but what are you running in?  Any latest and greatest you are looking forward to?

My current shoes are:  short trail runs, NB MT110 or NB MT 1010 - longer trails, Altra Superior - road, Altra Impuse.  Not looking to go max cushion but maybe time for more.  Thinking Altra Lone Peak.  I really liked Saucony Peregrine 6 but had some toe pinch, might try the 7.

I am not brand specific but like a wider toebox and a lower drop.  Most of the trails I do are dry and rocky.

Suggestions or discussion?

12-22   Last One Standing  - dnf 37 miles

1-23  Sun Marathon - 3:53

3-4-23  Red Mountain 55k - 7:02

4-15-23  Zion 100 - 27:59

runlikeagirI

paul2432

I am currently partial to the Saucony Peregrine 7.  The 8 is coming out in January and I’m not happy with some of the changes .  Hopefully the 7 will go on clearance.

i ran in Altra Superior for a bit and got tired of them.

berylrunner

Rick

I'm liking the Brooks Caldera lately.

http://www.runningwarehouse.com/Brooks_Caldera/descpage-BCALM3.html

Hadn't considered Brooks.  Looked at the links and stats and interested.  Thanks.

Paul.  I really like Altra's road shoes and have used them in long trail runs.  Just something isn't working in their trail shoes.  Superiors are ok and I did have a good 50 miler in them.  I am not "wow this is my shoe".  Also getting tears in the side at the front of the logo.  A common weak point in all of their shoes.

runlikeagirI

I wouldn’t have considered Brooks either for trail shoes until this model came out. The Cascadia are too heavy & stiff for my liking, prefer a lower heel drop as well. I really love my Calderas!

Hadn't considered Brooks.  Looked at the links and stats and interested.  Thanks.

Paul.  I really like Altra's road shoes and have used them in long trail runs.  Just something isn't working in their trail shoes.  Superiors are ok and I did have a good 50 miler in them.  I am not "wow this is my shoe".  Also getting tears in the side at the front of the logo.  A common weak point in all of their shoes.

breadnatty08

I ran the first ~66mi of my hundo in Peregrine 6s and then changed to Challenger 3s.  Same Peregrines worked well for Laurel Highlands (70mi).  I'm looking at hopefully running Tahoe 100 in July and plan on Challengers all the way with bringing some road shoes as an option (Claytons).

I'm becoming more of a Hoka fan lately; the Speedgoat 2s seem great (they're still quite new to me).

Find me on Strava

Teage O'Connor

I run in the Topo ST-2s. Not a trail shoe, but I ran (and won) the Mt Mansfield Double up in them and that's pretty darn technical terrain. I also ran the Mt Marathon course up in Seward in them. But I also hate trail shoes. If I had to wear trail shoes I'd go with the Topo Runventure 2s. I'm up in Vermont and appreciate the built-in clips for a gaiters for slushy runs. I imagine they're similar to Altras in construction (wide toe box, low drop, etc). For full disclosure, I'm a Topo ambassador, but I've also run thousands of miles in their shoes and haven't had any injuries or problems with the shoes. On the new ST-2s I've put in about 500 miles and they're still holding up just fine.

Or you could just run barefoot Smile

GC100k

I run in the Topo ST-2s. Not a trail shoe, but I ran (and won) the Mt Mansfield Double up in them and that's pretty darn technical terrain. I also ran the Mt Marathon course up in Seward in them. But I also hate trail shoes. If I had to wear trail shoes I'd go with the Topo Runventure 2s. I'm up in Vermont and appreciate the built-in clips for a gaiters for slushy runs. I imagine they're similar to Altras in construction (wide toe box, low drop, etc). For full disclosure, I'm a Topo ambassador, but I've also run thousands of miles in their shoes and haven't had any injuries or problems with the shoes. On the new ST-2s I've put in about 500 miles and they're still holding up just fine.

I ran trails for decades before I got my first trail shoes last year: Topo MT-2. Liked them quite a bit. The uppers tore where they connect to the forefoot outsole, but they last all through the winter last year. They're my deadlifting shoes now.

I wouldn’t have considered Brooks either for trail shoes until this model came out. The Cascadia are too heavy & stiff for my liking, prefer a lower heel drop as well. I really love my Calderas!

No issues or problems with the lack of a rock plate?  Do you run on rocky/rooty trails?

5/11/24 Grizzly Peak Marathon, Berkeley, CA

7/20/24 Tahoe Rim Trail 56 miler, NV

9/21/24 Mountain Lakes 100, OR

T Hound

Slower but happier

For trail,  I run in Altra Lonepeak/Timp and Topo Terraventure/ultralight a good amount of nontechnical races here and I just wear road shoes like Brooks,  Lately i have been into Hokka Bondi fir recovery runs and my sore feet with their ridiculous cushion.  I may try work in something new for 2018.

Btw.  I ran into a guy with Nice new looking superiors at work and ask if he was a trail runner, he said no he had just gotten the shoes at Goodwill for $5.  I was just a little jealous at that find.

2020 goal:  couch to 5K, currently working on the couch block

berylrunner

Rick

Funny you should mention.  I used to quite often and still do once in a great while.  Discovered rugged trails and distance don't match well with being barefoot and I wasn't patient enough.  Love running in sandals also, but again, limited by distance.

I do like TOPO shoes and have a road shoe and a light trail shoe, but have not considered the most recent versions.

berylrunner

Rick

No issues or problems with the lack of a rock plate?  Do you run on rocky/rooty trails?

With me a rock plate makes no difference in protection.

RWD

With me a rock plate makes no difference in protection.

This is really interesting! I thought that was the case for me (and I still think it is mostly) until I ran FANS and my feet were hurting so badly. I was wearing regular road shoes because I didn't know how much of the trail would be gravel. On gravel a rock plate makes a huge difference for me. Of course the race still went to sh!t for me but that was another story.

I run in Salomon Speedcross shoes and I like them (I'm on my 4th pair). While I have not done a 100 mi or 100k race in them, my first 50K took me over 10 hours so my time on feet is still pretty long, and I thought they worked well.

runlikeagirI

No issues at all. Yes, I run technical trails in them. I feel like the stack & cushion are enough to protect you from the trail yet still feel it, but the stack isn’t so high that you’re rolling ankles all the time.

berylrunner

Rick

Got the Brooks Caldera 2.  Not enough miles to give feedback, but I like them.