Ultra Runners

Des Plaines River Trail Race? (Read 173 times)

Oh roo roooo!

I believe this is a fairly newish (couple of years max) race.  Wondering if anyone here has run it or has any info.  I do realize it's not a "real" trail, in that it's on a rails-to-trail path, but for me, that's part of my interest, as I'm considering this as a first 50-miler.  It's close to home and it seems my chances of falling and breaking my face or other body part would be less on this surface, a problem that I have had w/tired legs on other more trail-like trails....

Anyway, any help is appreciated.  Thanks!

I believe this is a fairly newish (couple of years max) race.  Wondering if anyone here has run it or has any info.  I do realize it's not a "real" trail, in that it's on a rails-to-trail path, but for me, that's part of my interest, as I'm considering this as a first 50-miler.  It's close to home and it seems my chances of falling and breaking my face or other body part would be less on this surface, a problem that I have had w/tired legs on other more trail-like trails....

Anyway, any help is appreciated.  Thanks!

I believe this is the 3rd year running.  I haven't run the race, but I have ran the entire course (in different segments) multiple times.  I don't think it is technically "rails to trails" but close enough.  The path is generally about 6 feet wide, all crushed limestone/gravel, and mostly very flat.  It is no more technical than running on a road that may occasionally have a fallen branch or leaf.  I ran 34 miles on it last year and my garmin registered 1000 ft of elevation change.  Here is a link to the section I ran.  Obviously you are not going to have beautiful mountain vistas or views of the ocean/lake, but there is enough change of scenery to keep it interesting.  I would recommend it for anyone looking to run a fast 50 miler.

There is pretty good support from what I hear, as there are a couple of ultra runner groups that support the race.  If you are on facebook, you can join the NLUR group (a local Chicago ultra running group) and find someone who has run it.  You may even find someone who will crew for you. The RD is also part of this running group.

On the other hand, I wouldn't necessarily rule out more challenging trail race.  My first 50 was Ice Age trail and even though I didn't run trails on a regular basis, I didn't fall once although I definitely wished I had done more hill training.  A single track trail with some elevation change breaks up the monotony and may be easier on the body for recovery.

Oh roo roooo!

Thanks for the info and thoughts, flatfooter!