Ultra Runners

Texas! (Read 629 times)

Wasatch Speedgoat

After being buried in snow in NH, Deb and I traveled down to Texas to remember what running on dirt is like....

Lynn...We ran at Legacy Park today and tomorrow Grapevine on the RR50K course!

It's cold down here, but still better than snow on top of ice!

Steve

Life is short, play hard!

You'll ruin your knees!

Welcome, Steve and Deb!  Sorry I have been a little slow in responding.  Would love to meet up for a run (heck, would love to run at all!), but I'm not running these days.  I let the doc scope my knee two weeks ago and won't get back on trails until late this month.  Hope you guys are having a good stay here.  You going down to Bandera?

""...the truth that someday, you will go for your last run. But not today—today you got to run." - Matt Crownover (after Western States)

Wasatch Speedgoat

Hi Lynn....

No Bandera, I have to get back to work ;-(

We did have a great 1.5 weeks down there and ended it all up with a run on NYD with the NTTR and the infamous Tom Crull. he trail was muddy, but the food was great!

The week's weather was dissapointing, but we still had a great time.

See you at Hardrock, and best of luck with the knee!

Steve

Life is short, play hard!

KvnJns

Lynn,

I just flew in to Killeen this afternoon. I will be here unitl the 20th and I would really love to get out and run some trails on the weekends but I have no idea where to go. I don't mind driving a couple hours on Sat or Sun if the run will be worth it. Do you think you could hook me up with a couple locations and maybe even online trail maps so I don't get lost. 

Thanks and I hope you heal up soon.

Kevin

You'll ruin your knees!

Kevin,

First, WELCOME TO TEXAS!

I am not familiar with Kileen, but...

1 hour to Waco (Cameron Park)... some really twisty, rocky, rooty, hilly trails on the banks of the Brazos in the heart of Waco, TX...Cameron Park 

a little over 2 hours to Dinasaur Valley State Park (near Glen Rose)... Dinosaur Valley State Park

about an hour and a half to lots and lots of options down in Austin... Austin trail locations (links on the map provide directions and trail ratings)

closest trails in the Dallas/Fort Worth area are pushing 3 hours from you... here is a link to my trail running club trails map

If you think you want to head to Austin, let me know and I can try to hook you up with some folks down there.  Same for Dallas/Fort Worth area.  If this is information overload, let me know what you are looking for and maybe I can narrow it down a bit.

It may feel warm to you, but it is supposed to be 13 in Dallas on Saturday!!!  Not likely that we will have snow/ice, so probably a great trail running day!

Lynn

""...the truth that someday, you will go for your last run. But not today—today you got to run." - Matt Crownover (after Western States)

KvnJns

Thanks Jerry. I honestly can't say that 13 degrees will feel warm to me, thats just cold no matter where you are.

The link for Waco (Cameron Park) is coming up as the Dinosaur Valley link. If you could try and send that one to me again. I am planning on heading up there this weekend for a run, although I might want to wait until mid-day. 

Thanks again Jerry.

Kevin

Kalsarikännit

Nice timing Lynn!

I am running Bandera on Sat, and then plan on spening a few days in Austin.  Your info will be a big help.

I want to do it because I want to do it.  -Amelia Earhart

You'll ruin your knees!

Nice timing Lynn!

I am running Bandera on Sat, and then plan on spening a few days in Austin.  Your info will be a big help.

Jennifer,

The race director for Bandera is Joe P (not on this forum).  He is a great guy and one of the best race directors I have known.  Be sure and say hi to him and introduce yourself.  He lives in Austin and coaches trail runners, so he will be able to give you great tips on where to go.  They have a huge number of runners registered for Bandera this year, but it will be a blast.  It's killing me not to go...

You'll ruin your knees!

Thanks Jerry. I honestly can't say that 13 degrees will feel warm to me, thats just cold no matter where you are.

The link for Waco (Cameron Park) is coming up as the Dinosaur Valley link. If you could try and send that one to me again. I am planning on heading up there this weekend for a run, although I might want to wait until mid-day. 

Thanks again Jerry.

Sorry, I goofed on the link...

Here is Cameron Park

MTA: Have fun! 

Lynn B

KvnJns

Sorry, I goofed on the link...

Here is Cameron Park

MTA: Have fun! 

Lynn B

Sorry, I don't know why I was calling you Jerry. I knew your name was Lynn. 

With that said, Thank you very much Lynn. 

Kevin

You'll ruin your knees!

Sorry, I don't know why I was calling you Jerry. I knew your name was Lynn. 

With that said, Thank you very much Lynn. 

No problem!  Some gnarly hills in Cameron... they aren't long, but there are some steep ones.  Keep an eye out for the mountain bikers.

Lynn B

Kalsarikännit

The race director for Bandera is Joe P (not on this forum).  He is a great guy and one of the best race directors I have known.  Be sure and say hi to him and introduce yourself.  He lives in Austin and coaches trail runners, so he will be able to give you great tips on where to go.  They have a huge number of runners registered for Bandera this year, but it will be a blast.  It's killing me not to go...

I met Joe last year when I did Bandera.  He does a great job.  It was a really well organized race, with great food!  (I'm pretty sure I am going back just for the piping hot grilled cheese at the X-roads aid station).  He did such a nice job, that I put myself in his hands for my first 100 miler (Rocky Raccoon).  

You'll ruin your knees!

I met Joe last year when I did Bandera.  He does a great job.  It was a really well organized race, with great food!  (I'm pretty sure I am going back just for the piping hot grilled cheese at the X-roads aid station).  He did such a nice job, that I put myself in his hands for my first 100 miler (Rocky Raccoon).  

Rocky Raccon was my first 100, as well... good place to cut your teeth!  When did you run it?  The past 2 years, I ran the Dam Road aid station (the one you went through twice each loop). 

Be sure and check with Joe on best choices for your Austin running.  If you come back to Rocky, look for me at the Dam Road!

Lynn B

Kalsarikännit

Rocky Raccon was my first 100, as well... good place to cut your teeth!  When did you run it?  The past 2 years, I ran the Dam Road aid station (the one you went through twice each loop). 

I ran it last year.  Thank you for helping out.  One of those lessons that it took me too long to learn, was letting volunteers really take care of your needs.  Handing off the water bottle, letting them get your drop bad, etc, instead of trying to do everything yourself.  Everyone was really great at Dam Road (I should know...I spent waaaay too much time there).  I always say that one of the best things about ultras is the volunteers.

I won't be doing Rocky Raccoon this year.  I am doing another "easy" 100 in March.  (Umstead...which, btw, sold out in 5.5 minutes )

I will definitely use Joe as a resource for Austin.

Kalsarikännit

Bandera was beautiful...and cold!  Camping the night before, the temperature dropped down to 8 degrees.  It is the lowest temperature they have had in the park in 20 years. 

The course was rugged and beautiful.  Hill country is really an amazing place.  This year, Bandera was a Montrail Ultra Cup race.  It brought in some really talented runners.  Two men and four women broke the previous course records.  I had the chance to talk to Annette Bednosky and Jill Perry.  They are so normal, and so nice.  Ultrarunners really are a great group of people.

(Lynn, Joe says hi)

Quick pic from the course...sorry about the glare.  I cannot take a good pic to save my life. 

IMG_0903.JPG