Ultra Runners

RWOL Ultra marathon forum.... (Read 89 times)

T Hound

Slower but happier

FKYHD is the 6hr run a race or just for fun?

I roll, do hip strengthening, generally reducing intensity, this walk-running kick is helping.  I had an easy 20 mile sat with some irritation.  I walk-ran 10 yesterday and 7 mi tonight and no pain at all tonight.  I never know is it a real injury coming up or just an echo of prior injury.  For example, when I have had the real ITB it would stop me in my tracks after a couple miles, no running whatsoever was possible.  This is more like just a shot over the bow saying hey back off just a bit or else.  So nothing too bad.  IF I went out and did big tempo runs or ran hard down hills then it would flare up.  If I put on my Hokka Bondi moon boots and go hobby jogging down the road nothing will come of it.

RW:  what is the name of the 50K in Eu Claire?  I haven't heard of that one.

2020 goal:  couch to 5K, currently working on the couch block

RWD

RWD - you might have made your cold a lot worse too, could develop into bronchitis or pneumonia (I don't know if the science supports that, it's what you often hear though). Running hard while sick isn't recommended, hoping for a good 50k for you in 2 weeks

Drock, I did feel a lot worse Saturday afternoon and Sunday. Yesterday I went to the doctor to make sure it had not developed into a secondary illness like bronchitis. I was fairly certain it had not, but I had to fly to Edmonton this morning and did not want to be 1000 mi from home with pneumonia. The doctor said my lungs sounded clear and my oxygen levels were good, so I felt confident about hopping on a plane.

Trailhound, the race in Eau Claire is the Fall Back Blast. There's a 12.5K, 25K, 37.5K, and 50K option. I didn't know about it until I was looking at finding another race to round out the year. My first option was a 12 hour race in North Dakota but that is this coming Sunday, which I felt was too soon after my illness, and too much travel as I'm not getting home from Edmonton til Friday.

a smith

king of the non-sequitur

FKYHD is the 6hr run a race or just for fun?

I roll, do hip strengthening, generally reducing intensity, this walk-running kick is helping.  I had an easy 20 mile sat with some irritation.  I walk-ran 10 yesterday and 7 mi tonight and no pain at all tonight.  I never know is it a real injury coming up or just an echo of prior injury.  For example, when I have had the real ITB it would stop me in my tracks after a couple miles, no running whatsoever was possible.  This is more like just a shot over the bow saying hey back off just a bit or else.  So nothing too bad.  IF I went out and did big tempo runs or ran hard down hills then it would flare up.  If I put on my Hokka Bondi moon boots and go hobby jogging down the road nothing will come of it.

both! i'll do my best and thank anyone who can beat me. it's one mile from home and they have a 2pm start!  ive run it four times and have tried different pacing strategies with no significant difference in result. not expecting any breakthroughs but it's one hell of a workout! someday ill do the 12 when i dont have to work the same day.

i hear you about the itb. i had it for about 20 years before i figured out what it was. now i roll out those quads &itb religiously after every run and find the points near the knee...ahh...ooh...ahh...is that pain or pleasure or something in between?

Bridle Trails 50k 1-13-24 5:39

Cottontail 6 Hour 4-13-24

Cougar Long Series (May,June,July,Aug 2024)

Carkeek 6 Hour 10-19-24 

RWD

berylrunner

Rick

QOTD:  Have you used a walk run strategy in a 100, besides the usual walk the hills?  For example a fixed ratio through the whole thing.

I use a walk/run/hike strategy for nearly every long run and most certainly for a 100.  It is not scheduled though, usually the terrain dictates the pace.  I don't walk every hill though.  Sometimes it feels good to run a hill, but watch the lung exertion and heart rate and back off when needed.  The other consideration in a race is what other runners are doing.  Say you have a walk/run schedule in place and you are on a single track.  Are you going to slow the whole line down when it is time to walk.  Probably not.  So a fixed ratio probably won't work on anything other than a loop course with plenty of passing room.

Another thing with my walking, I try to make it as brief as possible,  Less than one minute.  Lots of transitions.  The idea is to not to be lulled into long walks.  It will make it that much harder to get running again.  Also work on a fast walking pace.  Probably heard it on one of the forums but "walk like you are late to work".  Lately I have been working on an exaggerated long stride and it really loosens the hips up.

Hope this helps.  Bottom line, don't overthink things and just have a good time out there.  Kind of jealous, as I have to wait a while for my next 100.

12-22   Last One Standing  - dnf 37 miles

1-23  Sun Marathon - 3:53

3-4-23  Red Mountain 55k - 7:02

4-15-23  Zion 100 - 27:59

a smith

king of the non-sequitur

I use a walk/run/hike strategy for nearly every long run and most certainly for a 100.  It is not scheduled though, usually the terrain dictates the pace.  I don't walk every hill though.  Sometimes it feels good to run a hill, but watch the lung exertion and heart rate and back off when needed.  The other consideration in a race is what other runners are doing.  Say you have a walk/run schedule in place and you are on a single track.  Are you going to slow the whole line down when it is time to walk.  Probably not.  So a fixed ratio probably won't work on anything other than a loop course with plenty of passing room.

Another thing with my walking, I try to make it as brief as possible,  Less than one minute.  Lots of transitions.  The idea is to not to be lulled into long walks.  It will make it that much harder to get running again.  Also work on a fast walking pace.  Probably heard it on one of the forums but "walk like you are late to work".  Lately I have been working on an exaggerated long stride and it really loosens the hips up.

Hope this helps.  Bottom line, don't overthink things and just have a good time out there.  Kind of jealous, as I have to wait a while for my next 100.

i havent run 100m but i do the same. walking a fast and long stride loosens the hips and gets a nice extension to stretch the hams. i think of a power-hike almost like xc skiing and imagine poles in my hands

Carkeek 6 Hour 10-19-24 

T Hound

Slower but happier

Joe Rogan interview with Moab 240 winner Courtney Dauwalter

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=V8DfjXnIk6c

bhearn

Courtney is famous, but I've never heard of Joe Rogan.

T Hound

Slower but happier

1st overall and DFL at the 1st annual Waterfall Glen 50k (my own little race)   Nice fall colors and sunset.  Got to practice the walk/run.  That will be my last LR before Tunnel.

https://www.strava.com/activities/1248455871/shareable_images/map_based?hl=en-US&v=1509066549

bheam.  Podcast is nice long format some interesting guests/some not.    Though havent followed lately I think he does a good interviewer. https://itunes.apple.com/us/podcast/the-joe-rogan-experience/id360084272?mt=2

drock69

Did a trail marathon today, not an ultra, but took 6h54m, 24 miles, gps was a little wonky, but definitely not the full 26.2. 5200' of climbing with a 1700' climb in less than a mile. Sprained my ankle a couple times on the downhill, same mountain bike trail I always seem to sprain it on. Went down and skinned my knee, rolled it pretty hard, so we'll see how it feels tomorrow. Walked it off, and could run again, I think it slowed the second half of my race, not that I was going to be that much faster. Probably it for me for trail races until January, plan on doing the Fatass new year's day 50k, it was fun last year even with the snow and wind.

Club Fat Ass New Years Day 50k - Jan 1 - 6h13m

First Half HM (road) - Feb. 9

Chuckanut 50k - Mar. 21

Sun Run 10k - Apr. 19

BMO Vancouver Marathon - May 3

Vancouver 100k (Club Fat Ass) - 32h07m 2 runs, pacing 100 miler friends

Whistler Alpine Meadows 100 miler - September 25

a smith

king of the non-sequitur

Nice work Drock!

did the carkeek 6-hour yesterday. strava has me at 28.4 miles and 6429' vert. they had two afternoon 6 start times. one at 2pm and one at noon (because no one but me liked the 2pm start time). i was the only one starting at 2 but loved it. it gave me a chance to run in the dark for a couple of hours. i really enjoyed that! no problems & felt pretty good all day. feel good this morning too and feel like i really worked out some mental stuff, it's amazing how a really hard workout can do that! results pretty much the same as always. guess im on a plateaux!

i'll try to write a short RR later

Carkeek 6 Hour 10-19-24 

drock69

FunkyHd - nice job on the 6 hour! You ran part of it in the dark, and still maintained the same distance

45 miles for the week with the trail marathon, a couple runs and some walking. Walked just over 4 miles today, and it seemed to help my ankle. Could have been a lot worse of a fall, managed to hit dirt with my knee and not rock. I think I haven't been doing enough long trail runs lately, and really felt it yesterday. Will write up a short race report this week

Weekly Summary
                          Monday, Oct 23, 2017 thru Sunday, Oct 29, 2017

<tfoot> </tfoot>
                          Day Miles Pace Description Egain Link
                          Mon 1.2 15:17 Lunch Walk 55 strava
                          Tue 6.4 10:01 10.2km — QE Park — Easy Run 442 strava
                          Tue 1.2 15:27 Lunch Walk 52 strava
                          Tue 1.5 14:13 Evening Walk 73 strava
                          Wed 5.0 10:39 8km — Mountainview — Easy Run 305 strava
                          Wed 1.4 14:54 Lunch Walk 64 strava
                          Sat 24.1 15:29 38.8km — Hallow's Eve Trail Marathon — hard course 5244 strava
                          Sun 4.2 15:22 Walk to stretch out the ankle 321 strava
                            45.0 14:05   6556  

Club Fat Ass New Years Day 50k - Jan 1 - 6h13m

First Half HM (road) - Feb. 9

Chuckanut 50k - Mar. 21

Sun Run 10k - Apr. 19

BMO Vancouver Marathon - May 3

Vancouver 100k (Club Fat Ass) - 32h07m 2 runs, pacing 100 miler friends

Whistler Alpine Meadows 100 miler - September 25

seattlemax

Duke Of Bad Judgment

200 Mile Race Rule #1:  Do not commit to doing 571 things "right after I get back from Moab".  Starting to resurface.

Haven't gone back too far, but it looks like Fnky did Carkeek yesterday, RWD found that races and near-pneumonia don't mix, Beryl had a much better family reunion than that one we did Las Vegas for my DW's family, and Bob Hearn apparated here (and I had the same question - Joe Rogan???).  Semi-recovered from Moab.  Moab RR not started.  Too many things that others were depending upon.

Kudos to 793 of my closest friends (including Bob Hearn) who finished Javelina today (or in at least one case, yesterday).  It seems like every ultra runner I've ever met was there.

berylrunner

Rick

35 miles for the week.  6000 vertical gain, 3800 loss (cheated, usually gain=decent but I got picked up, good for recovery however).  Couple of days of dead legs, but no soreness or injury.

Funky - Nice race and gain, sounds like a good course for a timed event.

Drock - Nice week and race.  Sounds like you got an Ultra in based on time.  1700 gain in a mile!  I need a hill like that.  Have a few that come close near me, but most average 1000 in a mile.

Seattlemax - Thanks for checking in.  Was going to lurk on the 3:20 thread to see if you were posting there.  Anxious for your Moab report.  Consider a teaser, cliff notes report.

Missing some of the RW posters.  Now kicking myself that I wasn't more involved, but it was my busy work season.

Training thoughts.  I am having a good cycle and don't want to mess things up as I am very injury prone.  Thinking of about 50 mpw with as much vertical as I can get in with minimizing travel.  No speed work, but intervals now and then to keep the leg turnover.  Of course been trying to keep the winter weight off.  Holding right now, but could use 5 lbs. loss.

12-22   Last One Standing  - dnf 37 miles

1-23  Sun Marathon - 3:53

3-4-23  Red Mountain 55k - 7:02

4-15-23  Zion 100 - 27:59

Bert-o

I lost my rama

Long time lurker here (and in the now-defunct RWOL Ultra Training thread), but I can officially join since I got roped into my first ultra... Half Ass BUS Trail Mix-Up 50K on 12/3.

fnkyhd - Congrats on exceeding your 6k vert in 6 hrs goal!  Looking forward to your write-up.

seattlemax - I have no words for what you just did.  

GC100k, AT-runner, wcrunner.... I may put the Sole Challenge on my radar for next year.  It's only about a 4 hour drive away.

Everyone else... Hi!

For myself, am I ready for the first 50K?  Hell no.  I told DW that after the Chicago Marathon there would be no more races for the remainder of the year since I haven't been able to shake off a hamstring injury from NYCM last year.  Chicago was meh - 4:01 - hammy fell off at mile 16 and it got hot.  I stopped for every beer I could find.  Recently, someone I've known for a while from RWOL asked if I wanted to do a local low-key 50K.  How could I say no?  But I was so terrified about "the talk" with my wife that it didn't dawn upon me that I actually have to do this race!  It's a 4-ish mile loop course so I can bail if things fall apart, and get credit for 30K if I get that far.  But I've never DNF'd a race, so I won't even consider it.  My only saving grace is that I know I can last for a while - I did a 28K mountain trail run in Sept where just about everything that could go wrong went wrong - and struggled to finish in 8 hrs 21 min.  I'm sure I can finish the 50K in a better time... we'll see.

3/17 - NYC Half

4/28 - Big Sur Marathon  DNS

6/29 - Forbidden Forest 30 Hour

8/29 - A Race for the Ages - will be given 47 hours