My friend Heidi!  5th overall female!

http://instagram.com/p/NNMtmdCdwG/

Kalsarikännit

I want to do it because I want to do it.  -Amelia Earhart

xor

My good friend Claude!

http://instagram.com/p/NNbHX1Cd4C/

DoppleBock

If I run a race all out and destroy myself completely it takes 2-3 months before I can run normal.  If I am only going 90-95% the recovery can be much quicker. 

Really? I'd think 2 months is enough to recover from anything, barring injury. The problem I'd have is there's not much time to ramp training back up. But Badwater itself should count as a lot of training.

Long dead ... But my stench lingers !

bhearn

I've never run the distances you're talking about, but recovery was pretty quick after my two 100 milers. Maybe I didn't push it hard enough.

Meredith finished in 47:08, the last finisher.

Keith finished in 40:05, his slowest Badwater... speaking of insufficient recovery, perhaps. He ran Western States 3 weeks ago.

How great is this picture?  

Nice pic, but she missed the x

DoppleBock

Sometimes "Running Hard Enough" is not from lack of effort, but because of things in the race that limit us being able to destroy our muscles.  A good example is FANS24 this year - I went out too fast, got dehydrated and so those 2 factors had me hit 128 instead of 145 or 150.  Putting my muscles through 128 left them recovered really fast.

When everything clicks and you are able to push you body to near perfect race - running the fastest possible time for the shape you are in - This is when it takes me a long time to recover.

In 2009 - I ran a smooth 2:48 marathon when I was in shape for 2:45 ~ Recovery was quick

in 2010 - I ran a 2:59 (Wind aided marathon) when I had no right to be under 3 ~ Recovery took a long time.  That race I was pushing hard at mile #3 and was able to force the effort to the finish.

I've never run the distances you're talking about, but recovery was pretty quick after my two 100 milers. Maybe I didn't push it hard enough.

Meredith finished in 47:08, the last finisher.

Keith finished in 40:05, his slowest Badwater... speaking of insufficient recovery, perhaps. He ran Western States 3 weeks ago.

Long dead ... But my stench lingers !