Ultra Runners

Freaking Out (Read 450 times)

Running on the ocean

First up: Congratulations! You've finished where many would have quit and that's awesome! I've ran a few ultras like 50K's, 50 miler, 100K's and 100 miler. One question I want to ask you is if you took any kind of salt tables during the event? I personally use SaltStick Electrolyte Capsules. In a normal weather race during the day I take one every hour and one every 2 hours at night. With extreme weather, like running in Death Valley, I take one every 30 seconds. And let me tell you that during ultra marathons, especially 50 and 100 milers, I've seen many women and men squatting right next to the trail doing their business. Don't worry about it. If you're too shy (in the beginning anyways) then just go behind something. Word of caution: Check with the event but some of them, like the JFK50, are very against going #2 somewhere else but the port-a-potty.

You know when you're running a ultra marathon because the pain actually starts to hurt
    -- Jakob Herrmann
    my running achievements

If those things are not available, use rocks!
      The right rock actually makes a great substitute for TP, even if there are leaves around. (you run less risk of a rash in a bad place Blush)

You'll ruin your knees!

Lynn, that ultrunr website is awesome! I've been reading all the pages and getting lots of insights. Thanks for sending it to me. If you have any other ultra website links, I'd love to read those too! Sorry to ask again, but did you say you used Zantac? I think I'll try that instead of Pepcid and see if that works better. Someone posted on that other site that they start taking it 2x per day 2 days before their races and this helps head off nausea/heartburn. I'm running the Lost Dutchman Marathon this Sunday so that'll be a good test..
        Here's another good reference, with lots of linques...http://www.run100s.com/. Yep, I use Zantac... take one about 20-30 minutes before the start, keeps me good for hours. For the longer runs, I might take another if any hint of stomach issues. Mainly prevents acid indegestion, but seems to help with general settling of the stomach overall. I don't know about days before the race, never tried that. Good luck, Lynn

""...the truth that someday, you will go for your last run. But not today—today you got to run." - Matt Crownover (after Western States)

Hi Lynn/ultrarunner2 I took 1 150 mg Zantac yesterday morning at 5:00 am before the Lost Dutchman marathon at 7:00 am. I also took 1 Succeed salt tablet every hour during my race. I've tried the saltstick electrolyte capsules and endurolytes (by hammer nutrition), but I don't think either have enough sodium content to keep me hydrated enough. I read on that ultrarunning website that a higher sodium concentration and a higher sodium to potassium ratio is a better way to go. It seemed to work for me yesterday anyway! Smile For fluids, I only had water on the course. I can't stand the hyperconcentrated gatorade they provide on the course. Anyway, my run was great! I had no stomach issues and actually kicked it into high gear for the last 2.5 miles of the race! I also felt great after the race and was able to eat and drink right away, which is rarely the case for me after a marathon distance race. Looks like this might be a good combination for me!!!
            The right rock actually makes a great substitute for TP, even if there are leaves around. (you run less risk of a rash in a bad place Blush)
            Hilarious! I never thought of that! Yikes!

OilCreek100.org

Congrats on your first ultra! I use Hammer Nutrition's ENDUROLYTES electrolytes - outstanding. I bloat on the SaltStick ones - too much sodium I think. I'm surprise more people don't wear knee and elbow pads like I do during a trial ultra... why risk months of training on a fall with nothing between you and the rock or ground? I use the McDavid Hexpad Thudd shorts, knee and elbow pads which have a thin padding so they are pretty comfortable yet offer surprising protection. I probably should mention I also wear the padded leather palmed bike gloves (the ones with just half fingers) - these are a must have IMO. I can't tell you how many times these babies have saved the palms of my hands from some nasty damage.
                My friend also said you just have to get over the whole bathroom deal. You use wipes and tp and bring baggies. If those things are not available, use rocks! Shocked That must be a "we live in the desert and have no leaves available" thing. I'm still hoping that part will not be an issue but if it is, clearly, I will probably be the one most disturbed by it.
                Wow. Using rocks. Undecided This thread has been very interesting and useful for me. I will be attempting my first ultra in May (keeping fingers crossed) and am already worrying over the '"little things": showcasing my wares when using the bathroom, nausea and heartburn (will keep in mind the Zantac 2 days before), blisters, etc. All of you full of so much useful information, it's greatly appreciated.

Leslie
                Living and Running Behind the Redwood Curtain
                -------------

Trail Runner Nation

Sally McCrae-Choose Strong

Bare Performance

I use Hammer Nutrition's ENDUROLYTES electrolytes - outstanding. I bloat on the SaltStick ones - too much sodium I think.
                  You're one of the few people I've heard of who use these. My coach suggested them to me a long time ago, and I think they've made all the difference for me. Re elbow, knee, and hand protection - definitely something to consider!

Leslie
                  Living and Running Behind the Redwood Curtain
                  -------------

Trail Runner Nation

Sally McCrae-Choose Strong

Bare Performance