Ultra Runners

Badwater 2011 (Read 838 times)

I told him that if he wanted someone to complain about the heat the entire time and never get out of the support van(s), I was his guy

Wow I can't imagine he turned that down! Ha ha. Smile

~Sara
    It's supposed to be hard. If it wasn't hard, everyone would do it. The hard is what makes it great. ~ Jimmy Dugan

You'll ruin your knees!

In case anyone who cares missed it...

http://www.badwater.com/2011web/2011roster.html

""...the truth that someday, you will go for your last run. But not today—today you got to run." - Matt Crownover (after Western States)

xor

But.

That's the exact thing I linked in the first post and the reason why I started the thread.  Heh.

That's the exact thing I linked in the first post and the reason why I started the thread.  Heh.

I did not know your first name was Oswaldo....

good luck

need a pacer?

"Famous last words"  ~Bhearn

xor

Nah, and I got shafted out of being a pacer.  (this is an overdramatic re-rendering of what actually went down)

You'll ruin your knees!

But.

my bad... I was catching up and saw a request for the list on another thread.  I have a pretty good friend on the list that asked me to crew/pace for her... not going to be able to do it.  She is trying to raise the money and do some fundraising for "girls on the run".   She will need a crew... trying to bring folks from TX, but could use experienced help...

Lynn B

""...the truth that someday, you will go for your last run. But not today—today you got to run." - Matt Crownover (after Western States)

squirrelrunner31

I have been interested in running ultras and plan on doing a 50k in June, but I never, never, never have any desire to do Badwater. Shocked

I've watched of a few of the documentaries on the race and find them fascinating.  There's a guy that lives not too far from me that has run it something like 14 times.  I think he needs therapy.

I think Badwater IS the therapy Smile

HoosierDaddy

GreyBeard

For the cost of the race, what is supplied by the organization?  We've joked about the most expensive FatAss.... but really am wondering what the money goes toward since the fees are quite steep.  Anyone?

• Black Canyon 100k
                  • RRR
                  • Zane Grey 100k
                  • High Lonesome 100
                  • Wyoming Range 100 (?)
                  • The Bear 100
                  • Javelina Jundred (?)

Imminent Catastrophe

That accounts for the fact that a lot of runners are now skipping the "official" race and doing solo runs. 

"Able to function despite imminent catastrophe"

"To obtain the air that angels breathe you must come to Tahoe"--Mark Twain

"The most common question from potential entrants is 'I do not know if I can do this' to which I usually answer, 'that's the whole point'.--Paul Charteris, Tarawera Ultramarathon RD.

√ Javelina Jundred Jalloween 2015

Cruel Jewel 50 mile May 2016

Western States 100 June 2016

xor

For the cost of the race, what is supplied by the organization?  We've joked about the most expensive FatAss.... but really am wondering what the money goes toward since the fees are quite steep.  Anyone?

Pretty nice buckle.  There's a little water at the finish.  Not a whole lot else.

For real, it is not JUST a fat ass, but a fat ass with specific requirements regarding how to handle your fat assery.

She also has a little keychain thing.  Dunno if she paid extra.

I can ask her for specifics on what she got... but it isn't anything impressive and the list is frightfully short.

Edited to add: or we could just ask smalcolm, who was probably within about 5 feet of this picture as it was taken and may have seen the (lack of) loot.  This is the runner smalcolm is referring to earlier in this thread.

Total fat ass. No support of any kind and the worst finish support I've ever seen. Nice buckle and medal and cotton shirt I think. That's it. We were hard pressed to find water at the finish. And it was chilly. No soup or anything like that. I guess there might be a finisher's lunch the next day with pizza. I suppose the money goes to insurance and the park maybe. It's my understanding its a for-profit affair though.

~Sara
                        It's supposed to be hard. If it wasn't hard, everyone would do it. The hard is what makes it great. ~ Jimmy Dugan