Ultra Runners

Question regarding extent of taper for 50 mile (Read 310 times)

who knows...

I was hoping someone may be able to offer some advice on the following. Lately I have been tending toward a 7-10 day taper for races of distances up to 50K. However, I am running a 50 mile race on May 25 and am beginning to think that I will need to prolong the taper not only for healing muscle but to store up on energy. I suppose then my question is based on my previous weeks (I will refer to my log) will the following be too much of a taper (or possibly not enough): THIS WEEK: M: rest T: 8 mi W: 4 mi Th: 8 mi F: 4 mi S: 8 (or 11) mi Su: 11 (or 15) mi Total: 43 (or 50 mi) NEXT WEEK: M: rest T: 4 mi W: rest Th: 4 mi F: 4 mi S: rest Su: race Since this is my first 50 mile race, I am trying to find the balance between rest and maintained conditioning.
    "There is no I in εγω." --Unknown author, source of possible, but in no way certain, Greek origin

Ultrachick

Here's my idea-I've got 3 50's under my belt so far and this is what I did for my taper before my first one last year (I did 2 six weeks apart) This week: M: Rest T: 6 W: 8 TH: 6 F: 4 SA: 8 SU: 15 Total: 47 Next week: M: Rest T: 6 W: 4 TH:4 F: Rest SA: 2 SU: Race Total: 66 Seeing all those 4 milers next week looked boring. On the shorter runs keep up some intensity. Everyone is different, do what feels right for you. Make note of how you feel before and after and learn from it for the next one-maybe it's too much or not enough. Good Luck! Kelly Recently certified RRCA Running Coach Big grin
      If you never go fast, you'll never go fast.

who knows...

Here's my idea-I've got 3 50's under my belt so far and this is what I did for my taper before my first one last year (I did 2 six weeks apart) This week: M: Rest T: 6 W: 8 TH: 6 F: 4 SA: 8 SU: 15 Total: 47 Next week: M: Rest T: 6 W: 4 TH:4 F: Rest SA: 2 SU: Race Total: 66 Seeing all those 4 milers next week looked boring. On the shorter runs keep up some intensity. Everyone is different, do what feels right for you. Make note of how you feel before and after and learn from it for the next one-maybe it's too much or not enough. Good Luck! Kelly Recently certified RRCA Running Coach Big grin
        Thanks Kelly. The distribution looks good and something that is comfortable for me. It'll certainly be nice to have a week off from the longer training runs (though I have been enjoying them). jc
        "There is no I in εγω." --Unknown author, source of possible, but in no way certain, Greek origin
        Carl A

will the following be too much of a taper (or possibly not enough)
          The only possible answer I can see to this question is yes. That is, it may be too much, or it may be not enough, or it might just be perfect. Only you can determine how your systems are feeling during the final weeks before your race. Me, I'd play it more loosely--if you're feeling jumpy in the days before the race, take a short run; if you're feeling at all tired, rest. And eat. Good luck, and have fun, in the 50!

Speed my steps along your path, according to your will.