Ultra Runners

November RWOL Ultra Running Forum (Read 51 times)

RWD

Only Seamax could get a DFL and a win in the same season.

Trail_Hound, I need to do more strength training but that's partially because I'm overweight and trying to lose.

Did anyone get a great Black Friday deal on a race? Chippewa Moraine, Fall Back Blast, and Marquette all had sales. Unfortunately, while I am interested in them, none of them fit into my race plans right now.

berylrunner

Rick

An unintended light week of 30 miles.  Good thing I don't schedule, or maybe I should.  A nice long run of 15 miles, 4400 gain, 1000 loss on Thanksgiving Day.

Planning on a big week with no taper for the upcoming 50k.

No strength training for me.  A physical job and running (hiking) hills is enough for me.  Certainly would help if I would do a few routines on some lesser used muscle groups.  I feel out of balance often.   I think some flexibility drills would be a huge benefit.

WC - congrats on your race.

RWD - Did not search for deals as I am afraid to put too much on the schedule, even small races.  RUFA was only $70.  Mogollon Monster registration opens December 1st (gulp).

12-22   Last One Standing  - dnf 37 miles

1-23  Sun Marathon - 3:53

3-4-23  Red Mountain 55k - 7:02

4-15-23  Zion 100 - 27:59

GC100k

QOTD:  what do u guys think of strength training? Do you do it? If so how much?  If you are not maxed out on miles, do u think it’s better to just increase miles?

I lift weights, but it has nothing to do with running.

paul2432

Re strength training - I started mostly body weight strength training a couple months ago and I think it helps.  I've never had good balance and I've noticed a definite improvement with the strength training (I'm hoping this will translate to more confidence on down hills).

Anyone running the Ray Miller 50 miler this weekend (or the 50K)?  I'll be volunteering at the final aid station until about 3:00 PM.  Hope to see you out there.

a smith

king of the non-sequitur

QOTD:  what do u guys think of strength training? Do you do it? If so how much?  If you are not maxed out on miles, do u think it’s better to just increase miles?

FWIW here is my study of one person (and keep in mind most of what i do is contrarian) ...after long periods of either doing it or not i still i dont know! i think it helps with speed and short races but i can get more miles in more easily without. i think if you want to limit your miles perhaps ST is good? but for trail ultras i'd rather be bombing a hill somewhere. it also makes me irritable/grumpy and that's really the killer. so my upper body just dangles but at least i am lighter and dont have man-boobs!

Bridle Trails 50k 1-13-24 5:39

Cottontail 6 Hour 4-13-24

Cougar Long Series (May,June,July,Aug 2024)

Carkeek 6 Hour 10-19-24 

drock69

I signed up for the Squamish 50/50 on Black Friday, it wasn't a deal, and the race sold out in record time, 50k sold out first, then the 50/50

I only do body weight or with light weights strength training. I try to do core a couple times per week, and I have a hip routine that I do. I stretch and foam roll everyday as well, even on rest days. I try to do at least 30 push ups per day or more as well, it's upper body but a bit of core too. I've been doing squats and lunges with 10lb dumbells, haven't been doing it long, so not sure how much it helps. I'd like to add some box jumps, need to set something up for that, I'm thinking plyometrics could be helpful to trail running, jumping up onto rocks, bridges, wooden boardwalks, I think plyometrics would help that

Club Fat Ass New Years Day 50k - Jan 1 - 6h13m

First Half HM (road) - Feb. 9

Chuckanut 50k - Mar. 21

Sun Run 10k - Apr. 19

BMO Vancouver Marathon - May 3

Vancouver 100k (Club Fat Ass) - 32h07m 2 runs, pacing 100 miler friends

Whistler Alpine Meadows 100 miler - September 25

T Hound

Slower but happier

Drock. Thats a good amount.  Sounds like u have it covered. Im scared of pyelo.  I am 200 lbs so jumping up and down makes me nervous.  I got taken out once because i stressed my metatarsal hopping around.  Ironically i started doing it after i started crosstraining due to another injury that prevented me from running.

Flnyd.  Im in your camp. I dont know.  I dud not do it this last season and i lost weight but i did run more.  I felt like i plateaud in traing around 50mpw but felt better after awhile at 60-70 mpw.  So im not sold on strength training but it makes sense to do it.  I will likely continue to waffle

berly. Is capstone this weekend?

i got some early xmas presents in mail:

1. New garmin charger to replace lost one.  Actually dont miss watch but eventually will want it for workouts

2. Advanced Marathon by Pfitzinger to

get some fresh training ideas maybe revisit the 26.2 at some point

3. 2 books about the ice age trail in Wisconsin, , im thinking about running it in sections some day, about 1000 mile alltogether.  Just curious at this point.

4.  Vonhoffs how to fix your feet.  A classic.

2020 goal:  couch to 5K, currently working on the couch block

berylrunner

Rick

berly. Is capstone this weekend?

Yes.  Saturday, noon start.  Heading there Friday to help set up the course and then camping at the starting line.  Don't really have a goal other than having a good time.  It's a loop course of 5 laps.  1000 gain per lap with some technical terrain so I don't expect too fast of a time.  I will try to take the first 2 laps conservative and then see what happens.

12-22   Last One Standing  - dnf 37 miles

1-23  Sun Marathon - 3:53

3-4-23  Red Mountain 55k - 7:02

4-15-23  Zion 100 - 27:59

drock69

Signed up for my first 100k this morning, Diez Vistas in April. 18 hour cutoff, sounds like a lot but it's not an easy course. Time to figure out my training plan. Also signed up for Puddle Jumper 50k in June, on the Sunshine Coast (a ferry ride away from Vancouver, BC), small local race, should be a lot of fun, and I know the race director.

Club Fat Ass New Years Day 50k - Jan 1 - 6h13m

First Half HM (road) - Feb. 9

Chuckanut 50k - Mar. 21

Sun Run 10k - Apr. 19

BMO Vancouver Marathon - May 3

Vancouver 100k (Club Fat Ass) - 32h07m 2 runs, pacing 100 miler friends

Whistler Alpine Meadows 100 miler - September 25

Bert-o

I lost my rama

wcrunner - Enjoyed reading your RR.  Glad to hear that you were able get up and go again after stopping and getting "those thoughts" in your head.

RWD - Hope you find a race soon.  Personally, I need a race on my calendar to keep myself motivated, especially through winter.

Trail Hound - Looks like Santa was good to you, and very early!

beryl - Good luck this weekend!

drock - I'll be keeping a close eye on you with your training and first 100K.  There must be a lot of beautiful races in your neck of the woods.

I've got my first 50K on Sunday (BUS Half Ass). The race was a question mark the last couple of weeks because the RD was dealing with health issues, but he managed to pull it together with a 5K mix-up loop (kudos to him!).  I have no clue what I'm doing... support strategy, clothing strategy, food/water, pacing - nada.  So I plan to go early pack the kitchen sink and see what everyone else is doing.  I do have a pacing plan (kind of) in mind, but I'll save that for the RR.

3/17 - NYC Half

4/28 - Big Sur Marathon  DNS

6/29 - Forbidden Forest 30 Hour

8/29 - A Race for the Ages - will be given 47 hours

RWD

I'll see you all in the December thread!

Bert-o

I lost my rama

I'll see you all in the December thread!

Crap, I should have posted there.  Newbie mistake.

3/17 - NYC Half

4/28 - Big Sur Marathon  DNS

6/29 - Forbidden Forest 30 Hour

8/29 - A Race for the Ages - will be given 47 hours