Ultra Runners

Vol State (Read 118 times)

Thanks guys. It was hard but not impossible. Everyone should try something like this. This bring the ultrarunners group, many of us have! Smile Like Laz wrote, Vol-State road race is about ordinary people doing extraordinary things. I didn't see the relay pass. I took an hour nap in a parking lot in Manchester, and spent another half an hour fueling up at a gas station. Otherwise I was shuffling the entire stretch of 41A on Sunday night.
    runnerclay

Consistently Slow

3rd fastest screwed time EVER! She only missed the old "unbeatable" screwed record of Alan Abbs by something like 77 minutes.

Fastest female EVER by 33 hours! crewed or screwed.

WOW!!!

Run until the trail runs out.

SCHEDULE 2016--

The pain that hurts the worse is the imagined pain. One of the most difficult arts of racing is learning to ignore the imagined pain and just live with the present pain (which is always bearable.) - Jeff

unsolicited chatter

http://bkclay.blogspot.com/

BenTN

Correction: The 33 hours was from Juli Aistars (crewed) King or the Road 2010 time of 5d 22:01:33. Turns out Tracy Thomas is also a woman. She ran a (crewed) 5d 04:10:02 in 2008 which was the old record. Juli Aistars did hold the screwed female record of 6d 04:18:34 from 2012.

Still a damn big bump to the record, just not 33 hours.

fimmx

Wow! Congrats Sue.

rlopez

Congrats Sue. You are the best.

MadisonMandy

Refurbished Hip

Okay, Sue!  We have given you ample time for recovery.  Now where's that race report?

Running is dumb.

Okay, Sue!  We have given you ample time for recovery.  Now where's that race report?

Funny you asked today, Mandy. I just finished them (yes, 4 parts)-they are in the comment section of my log: 7/10, 7/11, 7/13, 7/14. I rambled...
                Buzzie

Bacon Party!

Sue, I loved reading your report. Interesting that you didn't have any of those transformational moments ... I've heard about them, but have yet to see one up close.

I'm still laughing at the image of the white dog tippy-toeing up to you to say, "boo!"

Congratulations again on for outstanding performance. Inspiring ... 

Liz

pace sera, sera

Thanks, Buzzie. If you're on FB (LAVS page), you can see photos of Caleb Nolen's shoulder with the dog bites. I was pretty lucky.
                    wcrunner2

Are we there, yet?

Sue, you're crazy, but in a good way. I'll really miss you at NC 24 this year. Best of luck at Hinson Lake.

2024 Races:

03/09 - Livingston Oval Ultra 6-Hour, 22.88 miles

05/11 - D3 50K
                            05/25 - What the Duck 12-Hour

06/17 - 6 Days in the Dome 12-Hour.

MadisonMandy

Refurbished Hip

Funny you asked today, Mandy. I just finished them (yes, 4 parts)-they are in the comment section of my log: 7/10, 7/11, 7/13, 7/14. I rambled...

That was an excellent report, Sue!  So many things I wanted to comment on while I was reading, but of course now I have forgotten!  I am always amazed by your consistency, and also how fast you went even with all the issues that arose.  I think you can easily go sub-4 days next year.  Because of course you're running it again next year, right?

Can't wait until I am healed up enough to come down and enjoy a race with you someday!

Running is dumb.

jamezilla

flashlight and sidewalk

Congrats Sue!  I read the race report.  Wow...speechless.  Congrats again!

**Ask me about streaking**

MadisonMandy

Refurbished Hip

Oh, and Sue, a pack that I'm loving lately that has more space than your Nathan is the Osprey Rev 6.  It rides really well - very comfortable.  More so than my UD Wink.  I'm not in love with the pockets on the front (I wish they weren't so thin and long), but you get a ton of space for gear in the back and the bungee can hold a lot too.

Running is dumb.

Thanks, Mandy, George, and Jamezilla. Mandy-4 days seem like it would be doable BUT I suspect having the various issues forced me to slow down, which as counterintuitive as it sounds, may have led to a faster finish time. Hard to say. I do know that, assuming no blister issues next year in Hampshire, the race will be totally different: towns that I ran through this yeear at night will be run in the daytime, and vice versa. The traffic would be different too, which could affect the actual running. It was nice going up Monteagle mountain at 5am this year (only 3 cars passed me going up the mountain, and none coming down.) Last year Ben and I reached it in the afternoon, and traffic was horrible. And there's no shoulder, only a ditch. I need to check out packs-thanks for the suggestion. I want more accessible front and side pockets!
                              fimmx

I *loved* your Volstate report Sue, I was almost there with you. What an accomplishment! Congrats again.