Ultra Runners

26th annual Glacial 50k / 50 Mile October 14th (Read 547 times)

Oh roo roooo!

75 people in the 50 mile race - Wow that is a ton for this race.

I was looking at the list of who's registered and all 200 spots filled this year--I don't think that normally happens, does it?  I know Robert's winter race, the John Dick 50K, also had a CRAPLOAD of people last year, way way more than I have ever seen run it before (maybe due to the mild weather).

DoppleBock

Last year the Glacial did not fill - But it was getting cose at the end 190ish - He knew it might fill this year.  We had a conversation about how the trail could handle more poeple, but the parking and need for porta johns etc.

After this year if it goes well, I could see making it 210 or 220.

The John Dick Crusty 50k had amazing weather - I had winter running and I had a blast - high 20s at start and mid 40s at finish.  I think many of the people signed up in the last 10 days.

Of the 75 people in the 50 mile and the 130 in the 50k - The question is ... how many will show up and how many will finish.

When a race fills up (Not Glacial) 3-4 months in advance - You will get @ 10% no show as people never did the training they planned to do.  This is then figured into the spots available ~ You could let 220-225 sign up (If it closed 3-4 months pre-race) and expect @ 200 race day, 

I was looking at the list of who's registered and all 200 spots filled this year--I don't think that normally happens, does it?  I know Robert's winter race, the John Dick 50K, also had a CRAPLOAD of people last year, way way more than I have ever seen run it before (maybe due to the mild weather).

Long dead ... But my stench lingers !

cgruett

He is a new trail / ultra runner - WTF - I am not going to leave a struggling runner friend by himself ... 1st I can take great joy out of watching jim suffer, 2nd this is the time he will learn some valuable lessons (How to keep shuffling best he can) and 3rd - I was worried he might run out of daylight (No headlamps). 

I think because I stayed with him - He felt obligated to work as best he could and not totally dog it.  We made it back in 77 on the last leg (Actually not that bad - I have done slower) for a total 4:04 ~ About 5th best out of 30+ times I have run it.

Yep, I definitely struggled.  Probably didn't help that we ran on Wednesday after I paced a marathon on Sunday and ran another 14 on Monday.  Not to mention the 24-mile trail run we did the previous Tuesday.  Jerk.  Wink

Seriously, thought, thanks again for sticking with me.  It definitely helped.

I'm actually starting to think of Glacial as more of my goal race and JFK more "for fun."  We'll see.  Top-10 would be nice.

jjameson

Ran 14 the last 2 days.  Too much.  (Yeah, DB I know you run more than that in the week before a race!).  Now my hamstring is bothering me (again) and I don't have any pep.  Wah Wah Wah.

Starting my 3 day taper ....

jjameson

Weather looking crappier with higher chances of rain -- probably a very wet course.  Rain supposed to taper off Sunday.  Not sure of the timing of the weather.  Luckily not too cold.

I am not looking forward to the rain/wind combo.  Perhaps it will make me run faster so I can be done sooner Wink

cgruett

Weather looking crappier with higher chances of rain -- probably a very wet course.  Rain supposed to taper off Sunday.  Not sure of the timing of the weather.  Luckily not too cold.

I'm keeping my fingers crossed that the course won't be in TOO bad of shape.  Oh, well.  I guess we all have to run in the same conditions, right?!

DoppleBock

Wind will be a lot less impactful then you think - When all the leaves are up you hardly notice a 15-20 MPH wind.  You will notice it, but it will not be that bad ...

Time to get dirty!

I am not looking forward to the rain/wind combo.  Perhaps it will make me run faster so I can be done sooner Wink

DoppleBock

I do think the course will be better than you think for the amount of rain that will fall.  as long as you do not want to keep dry or clean feet. 

I'm keeping my fingers crossed that the course won't be in TOO bad of shape.  Oh, well.  I guess we all have to run in the same conditions, right?!

As long as my feet don't go from wet to dry I am good to go.  They like consistency 

I do think the course will be better than you think for the amount of rain that will fall.  as long as you do not want to keep dry or clean feet. 

Good luck to everyone running Glacial this weekend! Sounds like we may have quite the RA crew and a lot of trophies coming home!
                        cgruett

Looking like rain all morning on Sunday now, too.  Ugh.  Sad

DoppleBock

Wet and muddy - That will be fun

not fast - but fun!

Looking like rain all morning on Sunday now, too.  Ugh.  Sad

jjameson

Seriously, with the weather predicted, it will be hard to run down hills with abandon when the roots and rocks are covered with very slippery leaves.   Every footfall will be somewhat tentative "Is that a small pile of leaves or a root with slippery leaves on top?"

As someone once said:  It won't be fun, it will be FUN!

TeaOlive

old woman w/hobby

I hope that you all have a sloppy good time of it!

steph