Ultra Runners

This may be premature but...trail 50K? (Read 63 times)

wcrunner2

Are we there, yet?

I'm still so excited about NC24 that I'm actually considering running another ultra. For something a little different I was hoping people here could recommend a good trail 50K for a novice who hasn't run trails in years and would be looking for something non-technical and preferably with not a lot of elevation gain.

2024 Races:

03/09 - Livingston Oval Ultra 6-Hour, 22.88 miles

05/11 - D3 50K
          05/25 - What the Duck 12-Hour

06/17 - 6 Days in the Dome 12-Hour.

Uh oh... now what?

Try:  http://www.ultrarunning.com/calendar.html

Select Calendar.

Select Distance/Time:  50 km

Start discarding.

This one seems pretty good:  http://www.adventuretourtime.com/?page_id=1628

When and where do you want to run a trail 50K?  Why do you want to remove technical terrain and elevation?  That is what makes trails fun.  Otherwise you can run on roads and call them "trails".

Birdwell

There's this little one in your neck of the woods next week.

http://www.oilcreek100.org/

You've already got your long training run in too!Wink

Welcome to the dark side, George. Smile

"So many people get stuck in the routine of life that their dreams waste away. This is about living the dream." - Cave Dog
            wcrunner2

Are we there, yet?

When and where do you want to run a trail 50K?  Why do you want to remove technical terrain and elevation?  That is what makes trails fun.  Otherwise you can run on roads and call them "trails".

If I run one it would be some time next year Spring or Fall. Late Spring would be preferable since I'd like to go back to NC24 in September. I'm at least concerned, if not fearful, of hurting myself on a technical trail. One of the reasons I stopped running on trails was the uncommon frequency of falls, twisted ankles, and other mishaps. I'm also afraid of biting off too much. I've still got so much to learn after finishing just my first ultra, especially with eating and drinking during long races. Adding yet another factor like learning to run technical trails seemed too much for me to handle. Maybe I have a misconception of what constitutes a technical trail. I'd be willing to race on trails like some of the well traveled trails I've hiked on in state and national parks.

2024 Races:

05/11 - D3 50K

wcrunner2

Are we there, yet?

Welcome to the dark side, George. Smile

The xc team warned me about that. Big grin

2024 Races:

05/11 - D3 50K

muppy

I did the Dirty German in Philadelphia's Pennypacker Park last spring, I thought the trails were very nice and not much elevation gain (just my humble opinion). Not sure how far that is for you?

wcrunner2

Are we there, yet?

I did the Dirty German in Philadelphia's Pennypacker Park last spring, I thought the trails were very nice and not much elevation gain (just my humble opinion). Not sure how far that is for you?

I haven't been up that way in ages, but it couldn't be more than 60-90 minutes even with Philly traffic since I'm out on the Western Main Line.

2024 Races:

05/11 - D3 50K

. I'm also afraid of biting off too much. I've still got so much to learn after finishing just my first ultra, especially with eating and drinking during long races. Adding yet another factor like learning to run technical trails seemed too much for me to handle. Maybe I have a misconception of what constitutes a technical trail. I'd be willing to race on trails like some of the well traveled trails I've hiked on in state and national parks.

If you can run a marathon, you can run a 50K.  You don't need any complex fueling strategies for that kind of distance.  Heck, my last 50 miler took 10 hours and I took 20 gels (one every 30 minutes), a few salt tabs, and water/heed.  Nothing complicated or beyond what I would do for a marathon.  

Best Present Ever

The Holliday Lake 50K is a lot of fun and a common first trail ultra.  It's in Virginia, near Appomattox.

Uh oh... now what?

George,

Go back through this forum and look for reports--might be some from your area.

Go to the trailer trash forum and look for reports--they have quite a few Pennsylvania/Maryland runners.

This can be a hard time to pick a first trail ultra, weather being what it is, it can add a whole new dimension to that "only five more miles [which is totally a myth and hides a lot of effort needed on some 50k events] stuff.

Most important -- find a few trails of various levels (it might get muddy soon) and find out what it is that pulls folks to the trails.

Wandering Wally

First, congrats on being an ultra runner!

Lots of good ones in your vicinity George.  Just do what John suggested and look at the ultrarunning.com calendar and see what's close to you.  The New Jersey Ultra Festival at the end of March looks interesting.  The Mohican 50K in Ohio in April also looks interesting.  Keep checking back because I'm sure more will be added as we get closer to the new year.

Run!  Just Run!

Trail Runner Nation Podcast

TripleBock

By the name alone - Dirty German I would pick it if I lived close.  In many ways a 50k trail run is easier than a marathon.  It can have a much slower and more relaxed tempo, softer surface and more friendly community of runners / volunteers.  As long as you are wired the right way, if you are wired competetively and do not take time to enjoy a view or 2 or talk to some aide stations volunteers it can be harder.

I haven't been up that way in ages, but it couldn't be more than 60-90 minutes even with Philly traffic since I'm out on the Western Main Line.

I am fuller bodied than Dopplebock

wcrunner2

Are we there, yet?

Some great suggestions here. I've bookmarked the ultrarunning and ultrasignup websites for future reference. I have running friends in Virginia and made a new friend at NC24 who lives in MD. They might have some good suggestions or personal recommendations for those areas. One of my guardian angels needs IN, so I may see what she recommends in that area.

2024 Races:

05/11 - D3 50K