Ultra Runners

Newb (Read 52 times)

Rusk Runner

Awhile back I came up with what I am sure is an idea that has been used several times over; Run 50 miles the year I turn 50.  That happens next year for me.

So I have run 3 marathons in the past 2 years and was planning on running my 4th this Fall when I sustained an injury to my soleus.  I learned cycling while recovering and am now running and cycling.  I am going to train for a half in the Fall and will add some mileage to it to rebuild my base and was wondering a couple of things.

My planned 50 miler would be the Chain O Lakes run in late April.  I was planning on using a training program from the book "Relentless Forward Progress"  Which peaks or averages 55 mpw.  My goal is to finish, but to finish in a somewhat reasonable time frame.

Am I on track to finishing a 50 mile race even though I am coming back from an injury?

Will I need more time to train (which means a later race than late April)?

PRs...5K - 20:36, 4mile - 26:15, 13.1 - 1:32, 26.2 - 3:42

Just Run!!!

Uh oh... now what?

Awhile back I came up with what I am sure is an idea that has been used several times over; Run 50 miles the year I turn 50.  That happens next year for me.

So I have run 3 marathons in the past 2 years and was planning on running my 4th this Fall when I sustained an injury to my soleus.  I learned cycling while recovering and am now running and cycling.  I am going to train for a half in the Fall and will add some mileage to it to rebuild my base and was wondering a couple of things.

My planned 50 miler would be the Chain O Lakes run in late April.  I was planning on using a training program from the book "Relentless Forward Progress"  Which peaks or averages 55 mpw.  My goal is to finish, but to finish in a somewhat reasonable time frame.

Am I on track to finishing a 50 mile race even though I am coming back from an injury?

Will I need more time to train (which means a later race than late April)?

"...a somewhat reasonable time..." can be such a bedeviling phrase; could be a scowling taskmaster complete with cat o' nine tail, could be a magical companion that takes you to trails in the woods through fall, winter, and spring.

In the usual minority of one, yes, you have plenty of time to get ready to run and finish in a somewhat reasonable time--even at your advanced age.

Rusk Runner

LOL.  Actually I was thinking sub 10hours (as close to 9 as possible).

Just Run!!!

LOL.  Actually I was thinking sub 10hours (as close to 9 as possible).

That really depends on the course.  9 hours could be really aggressive on a tough course.

Rusk Runner

The course is mostly flat, grass, gravel, road, 16 mile loops.  Alot of my training runs will probably be done on more technical terrain.  Unfortunately, alot of my training runs will be on asphalt too.

Just Run!!!

Uh oh... now what?

There is nothing wrong with running a lot on trails--but, you might lose some road speed.

There is nothing wrong with running a lot on roads--but, you might lose some of the strength from trails.

You can do speed work on trails almost as easily as on roads.

Speed work, quickie bursts here and there, will help with agility and confidence of footing on trails.

Your listed marathon thingie could convert to a subten-hour fifty miler with a few longish runs

in the next few months.  How long ago was the 3:42?  Have you played with eating/drinking

while out on the trails for hours and hours and hours and... see the pattern?  Do any long tempo

runs--something like ten miles at about 30 seconds per mile faster than you want to run the fifty?

Rusk Runner

The 3:42 was April 23 and I had screwed some of my training up due to minor injury.  I was looking for a 3:35 that day.  I will be doing alot of running faster than what I plan to do the fifty.  My current and past recovery paces tend to be faster than my planned pace for the fifty, and thats where I have some learning to do.  The training plan I have decided to use will offer alot of practice in eating/drinking and has speedwork prescribed for one day per week.  There is a 50K long run thrown in and I suppose that is where I would really get more of a dress rehearsal. I have only recently experimented with running on trails.  I have run on a trail exactly twice.  I am hoping to use said trail alot more as it is really the only  one near me.   Two laps with some road work (the race has roads included) thrown in, and I can get up to marathon distance and beyond easy enough.

I will officially start training for the 50 miler after a quick rest/recovery from my upcoming half marathon.  Right now I am focusing on healing, and rebuilding a base.  I am looking out to next years goals with some amount of nervous anticipation as 50 miles seems a huge task.  I believe I have the strength and motivation to pull it off, but new goals like this can put a little weight on the shoulders sometimes.

In the end, all I can do is train and try.  Hopefully the long runs stay as fun as I think they are in marathon training.

Just Run!!!

Ojo

Good luck!

I also wanted to do 50 miles before I turn 50 so I ran Rock the Ridge this past May.  I had no real goal and was pleasantly surprised with a 10:09.  And I am a slow poke!  I followed my regular marathon training plan and added a 30 mile training run.  I think I was well prepared even though the course bigger elevation climbs than I normally run.  Smile

Sara

MM #2929

FTYC

Faster Than Your Couch!

I see nothing wrong with your timing. Just keep building your base, do it slowly, start now, so that there's some time built in for unforeseen injuries or illness.

Most important will be to have fun on the trails, and not let "the plan" take over. Forget about pace for now, just run so that it feels good, tough, fast, or easy, depending on your goal for the day. It is tough to do all those training miles and not get burned out at some point. I see your mixed surfaces, road and trail, as a benefit. You'll keep most of your speed with the road runs, and they'll prepare you well for the "flat and easy" course. Trust me, no 50 miles are truly "easy", and the flatness of a course has its own difficulty. I does not have to be hilly and technical to be difficult. The trails will strengthen your feet and legs, and they are a great change to the monotony that road running sometimes can bring on.

Have fun getting ready, you have enough time! Just do it gently, so that your injury can fully heal up, and you won't get injured again.

Run for fun.