Ultra Runners

Question for you guys (Read 95 times)

Purdey

Self anointed title

My first goal race of the year is May 25 - 36.

I have received an invite to race either a 6 or 12hr track event on 27 Apr. This gives me 4 weeks to recover and get ready for my goal race.

I feel guilty about this 6/12hr event.  I ran it a few years ago and won the 12hr with 76 mi and promised to come back.  The RD has been bugging me ever since, but I haven't returned.  This year she knows that I'm training for the 145 mi on May 25th and keeps telling me that her event will be an ideal final long run.

My question is, should I:

a) run the 6hr as a decent long steady training run (maybe 40 mi)

b) run the 12hr as a very long training run (maybe 75 - 80 mi)

c) politely decline the invite?

Kalsarikännit

I'd race the six hour.  I don't think you gain anything by going longer just four weeks out.  I don't see a reason to skip it. It may fit pretty darn nice into a training plan.

I want to do it because I want to do it.  -Amelia Earhart

Kalsarikännit

I'd race the six hour.  I don't think you gain anything by going longer just four weeks out.  I don't see a reason to skip it. It may fit pretty darn nice into a training plan.

MTA:  I would also add a med-long run the next day, depending how you feel.

I want to do it because I want to do it.  -Amelia Earhart

Purdey

Self anointed title

Thanks Jen.

The 6 hours sounds like it will fit nicely in your training.

It is very good to see you running again.  Stay healthy.

Purdey

Self anointed title

I will probably do the 6hr....  goal might just be a sensible 40ish.

DoppleBock

I agree - Run a nice controlled pace ... in the last hour do not destroy yourself for an extra kilometer.  At the end you should feel like you could have went 3-5K further with max effort.  But giving 95-97% effort ...

Long dead ... But my stench lingers !

Purdey

Self anointed title

I agree - Run a nice controlled pace ... in the last hour do not destroy yourself for an extra kilometer.  At the end you should feel like you could have went 3-5K further with max effort.  But giving 95-97% effort ...

This sounds good.  I'll try to control it.  The problem I have is that I always end up being too competitive.