Ultra Runners

North Coast 24 (Read 1194 times)

DoppleBock

Its when I try and pee without untying the shorts - Its happen to me 3 times with race ready - Once in Glacial 50 mile race - Hard to hold gels in your shorts and keep them up

I've never had this happen!

Long dead ... But my stench lingers !

DoppleBock

We are blessed with great osteopath group at this race - If you are starting to tighten way up - Go get stretched - But control the situation - tell them how much time they have

The podiotry students are green - You must control them - You are better off getting blister care from an ultra runner - They will do it in 3 minutes the students will take 30 if you let them - again control the situation - Tell them they have 5 minutes to fix your feet as good as possible.

Good to know, DB..

question for Hasher Rick, at each lap, will the board show our total mileage, or # of laps? Preparing my cheat sheet to keep track of pace, and would like to know if I should go by lap count or mileage.

Thanks

Its when I try and pee without untying the shorts - Its happen to me 3 times with race ready - Once in Glacial 50 mile race - Hard to hold gels in your shorts and keep them up

So without being too graphic, why don't you just lift up your shorts and pee through one of the leg holes?  It puts no stress on the draw string whatsoever and it can be done easily with just one hand.

DoppleBock

I have fat thighs - That means I wear spandex under my shorts or my thighs rub raw - I am not blessed with a 20 incher, so its really hard to get the spandex high enough to snake it out.   Although I was able to do that at Leadville with the sandex that I wore that day.

So without being too graphic, why don't you just lift up your shorts and pee through one of the leg holes?  It puts no stress on the draw string whatsoever and it can be done easily with just one hand.

DoppleBock

Not sure - But I never get hung up on lap count - I usually check where I am @ 16 hours and then 20 hours.  My mileage had no bearing on what effort level I am giving and I go by effort level and not time.  Although I will check my lap times to make sure I am not going too fast.  I tend to set a max speed I am willing to do a lap in for the 1st 16 hours.

For NorthCoast - I do not want to go faster than 7:45 a lap maybe even no faster than 8:00 and I would rather be in the 8:15-8:30 range for the 1st 16 hours.

Good to know, DB..

question for Hasher Rick, at each lap, will the board show our total mileage, or # of laps? Preparing my cheat sheet to keep track of pace, and would like to know if I should go by lap count or mileage.

Thanks

I have fat thighs - That means I wear spandex under my shorts or my thighs rub raw - I am not blessed with a 20 incher, so its really hard to get the spandex high enough to snake it out.   Although I was able to do that at Leadville with the sandex that I wore that day.

Ok then.  I don't wear spandex.

Not sure - But I never get hung up on lap count - I usually check where I am @ 16 hours and then 20 hours.  My mileage had no bearing on what effort level I am giving and I go by effort level and not time.  Although I will check my lap times to make sure I am not going too fast.  I tend to set a max speed I am willing to do a lap in for the 1st 16 hours.

For NorthCoast - I do not want to go faster than 7:45 a lap maybe even no faster than 8:00 and I would rather be in the 8:15-8:30 range for the 1st 16 hours.

Db, I really just wanted to know so that I could align my key goals with the information we'll have crossing the line--and to make sure I'm not going too fast. Usually, I obsess over the details beforehand and end up just running at whatever feels right. But for me this is a way different animal and I need to keep myself controlled.

On On

Good to know, DB..

Thanks

BOTH

On On

Will you be able to do this your self or do you want me to help monitor this (if I have time to look each time you come through)?

DoppleBock

Actually - I will occassionally monitor lap times

If you want to do me a big favor it would be to let me know when I have finished the lap that puts me > 50 miles and I think the 100 mile mark is about 15 feet from the lap counting spot - So also when I hit 100 miles.  That's about all I need and it would be awesome if you should shout those out.

Thanks

BOTH

PERFECT. Thanks Rick. Look forward to meeting you on Saturday. I will either be wearing my Cincinnati Bearcat hat, or LV Marathon hat.

DoppleBock

As long as 50 miles is < 8 hours and 100 miles is < 17 hours I am in the game

On On

Actually - I will occassionally monitor lap times

If you want to do me a big favor it would be to let me know when I have finished the lap that puts me > 50 miles and I think the 100 mile mark is about 15 feet from the lap counting spot - So also when I hit 100 miles.  That's about all I need and it would be awesome if you should shout those out.

Thanks

My quick math put it about 88 feet past Lap 111.

100 / .90075= 111.0185956147655 laps to equal 100 Miles

.0185956147655 of 1 lap (.90075*5280) = 88 feet 5.25 inches

If someone brought a steel tape measure (even a 20ft) you could measure it out pretty easily so you know exactly the point for 100 miles.  It would probably not stand for certification of a record but I would count it as a PR.