Ultra Runners

What's your goal race for 2014? (Read 135 times)

NNutr

It's time to plan out the race schedule for 2014.  I still have two more hundreds lined up for 2013 I have a new budget and need to only spend big on the dream race.  I think this year it's going to be either Bryce Canyon or Tahoe Rim Trail.  That all changes if I make the WS100 lotter.

What's your goal race for 2014?

TripleBock

Currently I am injured and fat and I am not sure if I will be running in 2014 ... But if things take a turn for the better

* Enter WS100 lottery

* Mad City 100k National Championship Race

* FANS24 hour race

If things stay the same or take a turn for the worse, the only foot race I will do in 2014 is Dances With Dirt - Devils Lake 10k with my DD#1.

Things are leaning toward no ultra races in 2014.

I am fuller bodied than Dopplebock

So far only one goal for ultras, <7:00 at Ice Age Trail 50M.  So far I have run 8:10, 7:27, and 7:19 last year on the course.  If I get my training right and execute perfectly I think I have a shot.

Imminent Catastrophe

TRT100, or WS if I get lucky, or Hardrock if I get unlucky.

"Able to function despite imminent catastrophe"

"To obtain the air that angels breathe you must come to Tahoe"--Mark Twain

"The most common question from potential entrants is 'I do not know if I can do this' to which I usually answer, 'that's the whole point'.--Paul Charteris, Tarawera Ultramarathon RD.

√ Javelina Jundred Jalloween 2015

Cruel Jewel 50 mile May 2016

Western States 100 June 2016

HoosierDaddy

GreyBeard

Just want to get faster.  And HR100 if unlucky, too.

• Black Canyon 100k
            • RRR
            • Zane Grey 100k
            • High Lonesome 100
            • Wyoming Range 100 (?)
            • The Bear 100
            • Javelina Jundred (?)
            jjameson

At 55yo I'm just happy to keep running and try to stay competitive with you young folks.  Goal race?  Not sure.  I'll be Trail Chief for the Marquette Trail 50 so my (non-running) goal is to make that as good as possible.

TripleBock

Honestly since ski crash early March this year ~ I just want to stop being a bonehead and actually work at rehabbing and being able to run another ultra.

What is working against me is that I have really, really enjoyed my non-running life more when not running ... So I am setting a goal to get back to running consistently (much less) and learn to be happy running races much slower than before.

I want it all - The joy of non-running life (with little running) and the joy of running life.  I did not figure it out in 10 years, so ??  who the hell knows?

FTYC

Faster Than Your Couch!

Eastern States 100. If I make it through the OC100 this coming October, that is.

Triple Bock, I have had the same predicament over the years, finding a balance between running and not running. I have been running since I was 10 years old, so it has always been part of my life, with some longer breaks (a few years) in between over the decades (for work, having kids, or just transition times).

In the big picture, I found that some running made me happy and gave me enough time for other things as well (including family). I run ultras now, and I love it, but I'm not sure if I can keep this up over a longer period of time. It's fun, but it also takes up a lot of time, and limits my flexibility in terms of traveling, spontaneous family activities, and getting chores done.

When I'll stop ultra running (maybe due to injury, or just incompatibility with my non-running responsibilities), I might just run around 20 miles per week, and stick to HM distances or less. I think I might not run races at all then - I didn't run races for 25 years after High School, and I enjoyed the trails just the same as now. Smile

Run for fun.

The training this year has been a disaster so I'm just not enthused about next year. Currently on the calendar is the Greenway Marathon in Nashville in March (BQ so my RP and I can run Boston 2015), and Vol State in July (solo, which will be interesting). Vol State would be the goal race.

Probably another ultra in the fall/winter, but I haven't decided if I want to start running 100s. Maybe Hinson Lake if I opt for another 24Hour race. Any ideas?
                    Sandy-2

HR100 (if I get in.)

2/17/24 - Forgotten Florida 100 Mile, Christmas, FL

TripleBock

Thanks for the note - It is a hard transition ... for 9.5 years I have been giving all I had to running ... 46,000 miles in 9.5 years ~ over 6,000 in 2012.  Now I am trying to figure out how to run 40% what my natural inclination is to run.  It will take some time to figure out.

Eastern States 100. If I make it through the OC100 this coming October, that is.

Triple Bock, I have had the same predicament over the years, finding a balance between running and not running. I have been running since I was 10 years old, so it has always been part of my life, with some longer breaks (a few years) in between over the decades (for work, having kids, or just transition times).

In the big picture, I found that some running made me happy and gave me enough time for other things as well (including family). I run ultras now, and I love it, but I'm not sure if I can keep this up over a longer period of time. It's fun, but it also takes up a lot of time, and limits my flexibility in terms of traveling, spontaneous family activities, and getting chores done.

When I'll stop ultra running (maybe due to injury, or just incompatibility with my non-running responsibilities), I might just run around 20 miles per week, and stick to HM distances or less. I think I might not run races at all then - I didn't run races for 25 years after High School, and I enjoyed the trails just the same as now. Smile

Chantilly75

My goal is to increase distance covered in 24 hrs. next year.

Looking at options, maybe FANS24.

Still can't be sure of meeting a 12 hr. cut-off in a 50 mile race, so timed events are just right for me.

"dancing on the path and singing, now you got away,

you can reach the goals you set from now on, every day"

Sonata Arctica

valerienv

Thread killer ..

I'll enter the TRT because I always do . I have entered the Salt Flats 50 and I will enter the Pony Express 100 again . Otherwise no real goal other than to hopefully be able to keep running

wcrunner2

Are we there, yet?

I'm delaying any choices until after my first, but I if do try another, I'm thinking about returning to the trails possibly for a 50K.

2024 Races:

03/09 - Livingston Oval Ultra 6-Hour, 22.88 miles

05/11 - D3 50K
                                    05/25 - What the Duck 12-Hour

06/17 - 6 Days in the Dome 12-Hour.

NYCNorma

I'm just not sure what 2014 will hold for me. At this exact moment in time I don't feel ready mentally or physically to move up to 100 mile distance. I think I'll evaluate after my 50-miler in October and see how I feel about doing more of those and/or 60k distances next year. I'm also about to do a 6-hour race for the first time ever, so timed races might be something to throw into the mix if it turns out I like it.

I have grown rather fond of the 50k distance, so I expect I'll do at least a couple of those. There are a lot to choose from around here.