Ultra Runners

JFK50 (Read 366 times)

jjameson

Too early to start a JFK50 thread?  Who's in?  Cgruett, Perfesser, anyone else?

Anyone who has done it have any suggestions or tips?

My (very ambitious) goal is 7 hours, more realistic 7:30.

In the SCHEDULE PerfesserR is down for JFK50 and the next day Monkey!  Impressive and logistically challenging!

DoppleBock

Well sir ... You have the speed to be @ 7 ~ I have never ran the race, but it seems weird to fight 2,000 people for 17 or so of single track and then try to fly on the Tow Path.  Leaves one in a bit of a choice - Get caught behind 200-400 people of trails and relax, saving your energy for the tow path ... or waste energy trying to get ahead of some of the people to go faster on the single track and hope you do not screw up your tow path run.

I would be inclined to the 1st choice. 

In the SCHEDULE PerfesserR is down for JFK50 and the next day Monkey!  Impressive and logistically challenging!

Long dead ... But my stench lingers !

chuckstone

I have run in this once and since I live nearby I have run the trail section several times.  There are a couple miles of paved road before the trail.  It is fairly challenging uphill in this section, so if you start nearer the front I think you won't have to race too hard to get ahead of those who will be slower on the trail.  And in my opinion there is room to pass on maybe half of the trail.  Unless the weather makes things messy, trail shoes would not be important except maybe if your feet hurt badly from running on rocky sections.

Some people describe the course in segments: an uphill 5k, a trail half marathon, flat unpaved railtrail marathon, 8+ miles paved rolling hills to the finish.  The first part of pavement coming off the tow path is fairly steep uphill but not as steep as the start of the race.

Aid stations are often enough to run unsupported unless you have specific needs.

Imminent Catastrophe

Unfortunately that's not going to happen. I'll have to miss the Monkey this year. JFK's iffy too, I damaged my achilles at RDL and it's slow to heal. 

"Able to function despite imminent catastrophe"

"To obtain the air that angels breathe you must come to Tahoe"--Mark Twain

"The most common question from potential entrants is 'I do not know if I can do this' to which I usually answer, 'that's the whole point'.--Paul Charteris, Tarawera Ultramarathon RD.

√ Javelina Jundred Jalloween 2015

Cruel Jewel 50 mile May 2016

Western States 100 June 2016

jjameson

Well sir ... You have the speed to be @ 7 ~ I have never ran the race, but it seems weird to fight 2,000 people for 17 or so of single track and then try to fly on the Tow Path.  Leaves one in a bit of a choice - Get caught behind 200-400 people of trails and relax, saving your energy for the tow path ... or waste energy trying to get ahead of some of the people to go faster on the single track and hope you do not screw up your tow path run.

I would be inclined to the 1st choice. 

Yeah, it's fun to think about.  Try to do the trail part smooth with no wasted energy.  Hit the towpath with my fluids/nutrition dialed so I can concentrate on the flatness.   If I come off the trail (at 16 miles) in 2:25, I'll have to run the rest of the race at 8:00-8:10 MPM pace to be sub 7 hours.   Not sure I can do that and 8:20-8:30 MPM is more likely. 

Only 4 more weeks of training.  Next Saturday I'm planning about 25 miles on road then no more runs >20 miles before the race.  It's clear I need to concentrate on some faster workouts.  Say 16 miles with 12 at 7:00 mpm pace?  Or 10 with 6 at 6:30 pace?

Last 2 weeks will need to concentrate on resting with just a few fast runs. 

Yeah, it's fun to think about.  Try to do the trail part smooth with no wasted energy.  Hit the towpath with my fluids/nutrition dialed so I can concentrate on the flatness.   If I come off the trail (at 16 miles) in 2:25, I'll have to run the rest of the race at 8:00-8:10 MPM pace to be sub 7 hours.   Not sure I can do that and 8:20-8:30 MPM is more likely. 

Only 4 more weeks of training.  Next Saturday I'm planning about 25 miles on road then no more runs >20 miles before the race.  It's clear I need to concentrate on some faster workouts.  Say 16 miles with 12 at 7:00 mpm pace?  Or 10 with 6 at 6:30 pace?

Last 2 weeks will need to concentrate on resting with just a few fast runs. 

Yeah, I would say you have your hill training/long runs in so now it is just sharpening the speed.   FWIW, here is what Zach B. was doing for JFK training.  Looks like his Tempo runs are about marathon pace to 30 seconds slower.  

jjameson

Well I really screwed myself.  Tried to do too much without enough recovery after the last race and really strained my hamstring/ass.  It is a little better and I'm able to run at a 9 minute pace but no way I can do any speed.  Think I'll be able to do the race in 20 days but have to decrease my expectations and probably just be happy to be able to do it with a credible effort.

Only hope to do a couple of 20 mile (plodding) runs in the next 7-10 days and at the same time be able to run pain-free.

I've pondered whether I would ever give up racing to be able to continue to run for two hours at a time in the woods; or if racing is the end-all of my running.  I would always choose the former.

You've got the fitness and you can recover from that if you take it easy.  Just pay attention to the hamstring when it starts talking...