Ultra Runners

streching / rolling frequency (Read 49 times)

UltraBoy

Just wondering what you typical week looks like?  I'm been avg about 50/WK for the past 6 wks prepping for a May 50.  This week I feeling pretty beat down and sore.  Works busy, home is busy and I'm tired.  I taken yesterday off, planning today as well, but the tightness this week is surprising me over and above the tiredness.

Trail Monster

Have you been taking cutback weeks? Was this a gradual build?

I have been doing yoga 2-3 times per week plus getting Graston every other week along with a spinal adjustment. I also have added more strength training to stabilize joints and correct imbalances.

2013 races:

3/17 Shamrock Marathon

4/20 North Coast 24 Hour

7/27 Burning RIver 100M

8/24 Baker 50M

10/5 Oil Creek (distance to be determined)

My Blog

Brands I Heart:

FitFluential

INKnBURN

Altra Zero Drop

UltraBoy

Thanks Banshee, yes I have been doing cut back weeks usually 3 long 1 short.  It's been a pretty gradual build up.  I had this target race in mind since Sept so I spent Oct/Nov/Dec increasing distances.  Last time I tried to ramp up too quickly I ended up injured so a quick lesson learned.

I'll need to pick up my yoga volume to more than 1X avg per week.  I scheduled 2 but scheduling and doing are often very different.  Per the spinal adjustment I'll steer clear of that for now.  I thankfully have no back problems, and don't want to introduce any either.

Strength training starts Monday, although it's a core class I signed up for that's offered at work.  I love having a full free gym at work with personal trainers as well.

Perhaps its just the winter blues setting in...it's been a long cold winter in Ottawa this year, and frankly I'm very sick of it.  Only so often you can run outside in -20c without starting to think this is freakin nuts I'm freezing my cahonies off.

Trail Monster

I do yoga as part of my bedtime routine now. Just a gentle flowing yoga with simple poses. It allows me to calm down, sleep well and fit in a little stretching without squeezing it into a busy day. Last night I did 30 minutes of core before yoga. Making it a pre-sleep routine has helped me not to skip the strength and stretching this cycle.

And the temps don't help. It was -1*F here this morning which is -18 or -19*C. Pretty miserable and slow running thanks to having to wear a week's worth of laundry just to stay somewhat warm.

2013 races:

3/17 Shamrock Marathon

4/20 North Coast 24 Hour

7/27 Burning RIver 100M

8/24 Baker 50M

10/5 Oil Creek (distance to be determined)

My Blog

Brands I Heart:

FitFluential

INKnBURN

Altra Zero Drop