Ultra Runners

100k to 100 mile shoe options (Read 53 times)

runlikeagirI

Glad to hear it! I hope they work out for you.  I’ve heard many people talk over the past few years about how Hokas save their legs from feeling trashed after a longer run; however, I never found a Hoka model that I liked. I wasn’t expecting it, but that’s what the Calderas do for me.

Got the Brooks Caldera 2.  Not enough miles to give feedback, but I like them.

strambo

Love that running warehouse link, picked up some Hokas for a great price!  I may try the Caldera 2s as well when it's time to switch out my current trail shoes.

berylrunner

Rick

Some feedback on the Brooks Caldera 2.  I have now run about 250-300 miles in them and very happy.  A little tricky on the side slopes and technical terrain (maybe half a size smaller would have been better), but otherwise a great shoe.  Impressed with the durability no tears or sole wear.

However, I still am going to mix it up for the 100 miler.  Maybe plan on them for the last 40.

12-22   Last One Standing  - dnf 37 miles

1-23  Sun Marathon - 3:53

3-4-23  Red Mountain 55k - 7:02

4-15-23  Zion 100 - 27:59

runlikeagirI

So glad they have worked out for you! I really love the shoe.  Little to no wear on mine as well, and I've worn them for several 3-5 hour training runs, a few 50Ks, and my first 50 miler last September.  I have my first 100 miler this coming September on the same trail that the 50 mile was on, debating whether I want to wear them or road shoes.  It's a crushed gravel trail and my informal poll has shown that the road/trail shoe split with previous finishers is pretty much 50-50.

a smith

king of the non-sequitur

you guys have me wanting to try the calderas. i like the weight and drop. i just run in hokas mixing up clifton 1's, clifton 3's, clayton 1's and 2's and speed instincts (which i liked a lot at first but find they aggravate my pf)...most of these are now defunct. but i have a pair of the new hoka napalis (only available at RW) http://www.runningwarehouse.com/catpage-MRFNAPALI.html  which i love but have some doubt about it's durability. race-wise i have been sticking with hoka clifton 1's (i accumulated many pairs when they d/c'ed them)...but i have an upcoming 54 miler and thinking about either opening a new pair of priceless clifton 1's or going with the napalis or clifton 3's. the best thing i like about the napalis and clifton 3's are the inserts which i put in other shoes. also like topos a lot for wearing at work but dont like to run in them. ya i have a lot of shoes Smile

Bridle Trails 50k 1-13-24 5:39

Cottontail 6 Hour 4-13-24

Cougar Long Series (May,June,July,Aug 2024)

Carkeek 6 Hour 10-19-24 

a smith

king of the non-sequitur

so i tried on some calderas today and right away i noticed the lugs were poking up into my foot like it was too soft or not enough stack. maybe im too heavy!

Carkeek 6 Hour 10-19-24 

berylrunner

Rick

Fnkyhd - that is really odd.  Did you try more than one pair?  Version 1 or 2.  I don't feel anything in the V2.

I am about ready to try the Altra Duo.  Would never have considered, but I tried a pair on and couldn't believe how light they were.  I got a pair but returned after reading that they loosen a little.  Waiting for a size down to come in.  Lot of comparisons to the old Hokas, which I have never tried because I was a barefoot purist back when they were popular.  I don't need another max cushion shoe but I am worried about the Calderas being too hot for the day portion of the race.

12-22   Last One Standing  - dnf 37 miles

1-23  Sun Marathon - 3:53

3-4-23  Red Mountain 55k - 7:02

4-15-23  Zion 100 - 27:59

GC100k

so i tried on some calderas today and right away i noticed the lugs were poking up into my foot like it was too soft or not enough stack. maybe im too heavy!

Uh-oh. I'm about to order some in the next few days, but I bet I'm a lot heavier than you are. I'm not a fan of big lugs anyway, I kinda scuff my feet and big lugs make me trip.

Hmmm....

a smith

king of the non-sequitur

could also be my footstrike or it may be that I tried them on the store treadmill. I really dislike running on treadmills

Carkeek 6 Hour 10-19-24