Ultra Runners

OFFICIAL FANS 2012 SITE (Read 401 times)

The main forum. The Great Scary Place with all sorts of road runners, beginning runners, runners with questionable political affiliations, bad musical tastes, and people that put plastic bags on their feet when they run in the rain.

Hmm.  That is not what I though GSP stood for.  

DoppleBock

I am getting pissed of at my body ~ Although I had a revelation last night.  I am not fighting the same cold since 12 days ago.  I picked up a new cold camping this weekend.  Cold #1 was only a chest cold, Cold #2 is much deeper in chest and impacted in my sinus cavities.

We camp with 8 other families and we do community meals ~ lots of exposure.

The only good thing ~ Thinking about FANS does not keep me up at night.  I am just thinking about how to get a few breaths in before I have to cough again.

I am hitting it with everything I legally can under USATF guidelines ...

I am 95% packed.

WG ~ You are driving

Buzzie ~ You are flying

Either way ~ specially Buzzie ~ Can I bring something for you?  Folding chair (Camp chairs to hard to get ass stuck in and not want to come out), folding table?  Cooler?  Basically anything that you cannot travel with and is a pain in the ass to buy for 1 use.

Long dead ... But my stench lingers !

Kalsarikännit

The cooler may not be a bad idea.  I had a larger one that I was going to bring to share with Buzzie, but it is now gone from the car I'm borrowing to get up there.  I only have a small one.

I want to do it because I want to do it.  -Amelia Earhart

Buzzie

Bacon Party!

DB - thanks for the offer! Smile

I'll be packing even lighter than planned ... seems my big suitcase has disappeared (and, not being inclined to replace it at this moment), I'll be travelling with a carry-on sized bag.

I *think* WG will be bringing an extra cooler for me to use. (If not, it's no big deal.)

I don't usually sit; but, if an extra chair made its way into your vehicle, there might be use for it at some point - esp. post-race, I'm guessing (unless breakfast is indoors and they have chairs?)

Other than that, I think I'm covered - I just checked and my 6 water bottles fit nicely into my backpack.

Liz

pace sera, sera

DoppleBock

I am cooler rich - I can pack a very large one for you and Buzzie.

The cooler may not be a bad idea.  I had a larger one that I was going to bring to share with Buzzie, but it is now gone from the car I'm borrowing to get up there.  I only have a small one.

DoppleBock

Cooler and extra folding chair - Check.    

DB - thanks for the offer! Smile

I'll be packing even lighter than planned ... seems my big suitcase has disappeared (and, not being inclined to replace it at this moment), I'll be travelling with a carry-on sized bag.

I *think* WG will be bringing an extra cooler for me to use. (If not, it's no big deal.)

I don't usually sit; but, if an extra chair made its way into your vehicle, there might be use for it at some point - esp. post-race, I'm guessing (unless breakfast is indoors and they have chairs?)

Other than that, I think I'm covered - I just checked and my 6 water bottles fit nicely into my backpack.

jjameson

Good luck DB !!!!!!

good luck everyone. Will be looking forward to the updates.
                  Buzzie

Bacon Party!

Looks like a beautiful day in this neighborhood! 55-75*, sunny and dry

Liz

pace sera, sera

Was a late entry for the 12 hour event. Just came out and ran. The afternoon got a bit warm, but had a good day. Wish it would have went better for DB - but he continued to fight for EVERY mile.
                      jjameson

Sounds like tough conditions.  Not good for a big horse.

I want to do this sometime.  I guess that means next year because I'm 53 and won't have much years left before some "career ending" injury occurs.

Buzzie

Bacon Party!

Big big thank-you to my impromptu crew ... DB's lovely wife, Scovill, his girlfriend, his mother, and his friend all took me under their wings and made me feel like a rock star ultra runner offering me cold bottles, helping me unwind my cramping legs, hooking me up to an ice pack, and just welcoming me into the group.

And, DB, thank you for bringing the extra chair and cooler and sharing your tent and team! 

I had a great time at the race despite being "off" all day.

FWIW, I thought it was a very well-run event - with lots of little touches that made it a bit more special than your typical race. One of my favorite things was that the RD distributed runner rosters to the crews in tent city - every runner's bib, name, age, home, and race goal. All day long, strangers were cheering me by name as I ran through the tents.

The lap counters were attentive and positively confirmed every lap - calling bib number, "I got you, Liz - that's X laps and Y miles."

They rang bells and cheered for runners' milestone laps - 50 mi, 100 k, 100 mi.

Yeah - I guess I'm a fan of FANS!

Liz

pace sera, sera

Best Present Ever

Big big thank-you to my impromptu crew ... DB's lovely wife, Scovill, his girlfriend, his mother, and his friend all took me under their wings and made me feel like a rock star ultra runner offering me cold bottles, helping me unwind my cramping legs, hooking me up to an ice pack, and just welcoming me into the group.

And, DB, thank you for bringing the extra chair and cooler and sharing your tent and team! 

I had a great time at the race despite being "off" all day.

FWIW, I thought it was a very well-run event - with lots of little touches that made it a bit more special than your typical race. One of my favorite things was that the RD distributed runner rosters to the crews in tent city - every runner's bib, name, age, home, and race goal. All day long, strangers were cheering me by name as I ran through the tents.

The lap counters were attentive and positively confirmed every lap - calling bib number, "I got you, Liz - that's X laps and Y miles."

They rang bells and cheered for runners' milestone laps - 50 mi, 100 k, 100 mi.

Yeah - I guess I'm a fan of FANS!

Sounds like a great race.  Congrats on a good effort.  

DoppleBock

I made many mistakes at FANS

1)  Ran with an eye on lap times with a sortof goal instead of just running by feel

2)  Ended up outrunning my hydration possibility ~ Was not really hot, but I had a full stomache of liquid (40+ ounces and hour) and lost 13-14 pounds.

3)  Did not take enough early walk breaks (see #1)

This put me in a poor position after running @ 7:24 the 1st 50 miles.  Lost 2-3 hours trying to get un-screwed up.

Due to WG's advanced psyco-manipulation powers ~ Stuck with it and had multiple other issues that I had to problem solve.  I learned more form this race than I have from any other one race by fighting to the end ... Well at least until with around 1 minute left when I gave WG the bird when she tried to push me for 1 more quick 1/8 mile.  Funny that decision put me into 4th pace (3rd male) getting chicked by the talented Lana Haugberg.  1st time ever we had this many people > 120 and most > 100

Chris Nutting alays eeks out his 100 - But won the award for the closest to 100 without hitting .02 of a mile.

Great times with WG, Buzzie, Don S, Paully Grahm, Scovil, Allie and their friends, Richard and Renee - Mind is cloudy, so I am sure I am missing people - But specailly to me wonderful wife who is my partner and crime and best crew ever! 

<colgroup> <col width="28" /> <col width="43" /> <col width="57" /> <col width="51" /> <col width="33" /> <col width="73" /> <col span="2" width="105" /> <col width="43" /> <col width="33" /></colgroup>
                              24 Hour                    
                              Bib Place Division Miles W/R First Name Last Name City State Age
                              29 1 1 142.86 R Harvey Sweetland Lewis Cincinnati OH 36
                              89 2 2 135.05 R Joe Fejes Hoschton GA 46
                              25 3 1 128.71 R Lana Haugberg Brooklyn Park MN 25
                              1 4 3 128.66 R Michael Henze Neenah WI 43
                              26 5 4 125.19 R John Finn Maple Grove MN 41
                              39 6 5 121.94 R Sean Faulk Bloomington MN 39
                              28 7 6 117.48 R Jordan Hanlon Minneapolis MN 28
                              7 8 7 115.30 R Jerry Heaps Apple Valley MN 56
                              46 9 8 114.55 R Doug Kleemeier Oakdale MN 46
                              75 10 9 110.88 R Benjamin Clark Minot ND 21
                              85 11 10 108.29 R Ken Rubeli Las Vegas NV 42
                              19 12 2 106.29 R Kim Martin Lakeville MN 47
                              76 13 11 105.99 R Steven Clinton Bloomington MN 23
                              34 14 12 105.87 R Kyle Snyder Stillwater MN 34
                              49 15 13 105.12 R Dave Trefethen Monticello MN 64
                              12 16 14 104.24 R Steve Otolski La Porte IN 45
                              79 17 15 103.45 R Bayard Gennert Eden Prairie MN 31
                              108 18 16 102.82 R Chris Tatarka Woodbury MN 44
                              37 19 17 102.57 R Corey Stender Minnetrista MN 37
                              96 20 1 102.20 W Joe Roche Liberty Township OH 56
                              33 21 18 102.07 R Joshua Watson Topeka KS 33
                              41 22 19 101.07 R Chris Hanson Nisswa MN 41
                              83 23 20 100.95 R Chris Scotch Minneapolis MN 35
                              2 24 3 100.65 R Susan Olsen Burnsville MN 55
                              51 25 21 99.98 R Chris Nutting Fridley MN 51

jjameson

Was a late entry for the 12 hour event. Just came out and ran. The afternoon got a bit warm, but had a good day. Wish it would have went better for DB - but he continued to fight for EVERY mile.

Pretty damn good result for an old geezer who just shows up at the last minute!