Ultra Runners

Congrats Phil McCarthy on a super 48 hour race - 3 days at the fair (Read 665 times)

DoppleBock

As far as I can tell he just set a new National 48 hour record

I would also guess he has a 24 hour split in the 140+ range getting a Q distance for 2012 24 hour Worlds (I can not wait to see)

Phil - You are tough as nails man!

https://spreadsheets.google.com/ccc?key=0AicDo8QO8h6gdFg1WWxzVHdDVUlYdDI3YXZRNmxUTlE&hl=en#gid=0

Long dead ... But my stench lingers !

The King of Beasts

Holy Shit, thats a lot of running.

"As a dreamer of dreams and a travelin' man I have chalked up many a mile. Read dozens of books about heroes and crooks, And I've learned much from both of their styles." ~ Jimmy Buffett

"I don't see much sense in that," said Rabbit. "No," said Pooh humbly, "there isn't. But there was going to be when I began it. It's just that something happened to it along the way."”

Ostrich runner

That makes me want to eat and smoke.

http://www.runningahead.com/groups/Indy/forum

Purdey

Self anointed title

KvnJns

Thats crazy insane. One hell of an acomplishment.

Kevin

On On

He was a machine.  He averaged about an 11 minute mile for 2 days straight.

He was completely focused for the entire event.  I would say he may the first 24 hours look easy (doing about 135 miles) and you could see the strain the second night.  Around 2am the skies opened up and we got soaked on and off for 4 hours.  He continued on relentlessly and just ticked off the miles lap after lap.  He said after he was finished he laid down 3-4 times and never slept but rested for 5-10 minutes.  His splits show this with only 4 laps over 15 minutes and 3 of those over 20 minutes.  His longest was only 26:24 the entire 48 hours.

It is a sweet set up with the runners able to set up their tents and personal space right next to the course, you can park right next to your tent, the bathrooms are huge and have showers.  They are right next to the race course so you do not lose anytime running in and out.  The aid station is a full kitchen that offers hot and cold food 24 hours a day.

For any ultra runner that wants to try a timed event this is a good one to try.  Besides this American Record there have been other age group and Canadian National Records set at this event.

Kalsarikännit

I've been wanting to do a Hasher Rick race (Hi FlourCity!) for a long time now, but the timing has never been right. I have decided it will definitely not be the 48 hour. That involves a lot of pavement that I am just not ready for. I think the unforgiving surface makes Phil's race even more spectacular. I keep thinking about the differences between ATY and 3 Days at the Fair.

Rick, what was the mileage for Sabrina and Deb at 24 hrs?

I want to do it because I want to do it.  -Amelia Earhart

DoppleBock

The splits are downloadable at the bottom of the page

http://www.njtrailseries.com/fair

I have Deb @ 103.79

I have Sabrina @ 130.39 at 24 hours

I am not sure what has to be done to get USATF to recognize the 24 hour split for Phil and Sabrina - But Sabrina's has a good chance to get her on the 2012 US National 24 hour team

Kalsarikännit

I don't think I could run a good 48 hr because I'd be worrying about my 24 hour mileage.

I want to do it because I want to do it.  -Amelia Earhart

DoppleBock

Unless you were already -in-like-Flynn!

After you take 1 or 2 at NorthCoast you can relax and run a 48 hour without this worry 

I don't think I could run a good 48 hr because I'd be worrying about my 24 hour mileage.

Holy Shit, thats a lot of running.

+1  Wow.

I've been wanting to do a Hasher Rick race (Hi FlourCity!) for a long time now

[smiles large]

"If you have the fire, run..." -John Climacus

On On

The splits are downloadable at the bottom of the page

http://www.njtrailseries.com/fair

I have Deb @ 103.79

I have Sabrina @ 130.39 at 24 hours

I am not sure what has to be done to get USATF to recognize the 24 hour split for Phil and Sabrina - But Sabrina's has a good chance to get her on the 2012 US National 24 hour team

DB,

I am not sure I have to do anything special.  It was a 24 hour result on a certified sanctioned course.  It should be a non issue.

I will be sending Andy Carr (records) and Roy my spread sheet for Phil.  They will have all the info they need.

On On

I've been wanting to do a Hasher Rick race (Hi FlourCity!) for a long time now,

Hi Wrigley.  It will be a ton of fun when you get here.  Miles and Miles followed by beers and beers.  Sounds like a great time to me.