Ultra Runners

Hitchcock Experience - Iowa (Read 34 times)

Is anyone doing the Hitchcock Experience 50 or 100 miler in December?

http://www.irunwithgoats.org/hitchcock-experience-guide.html

Michelle

Kalsarikännit

I've biked through the Loess Hills a few times.  Iowa is not flat!  It is really beautiful out there, I hope you enjoy it.

I want to do it because I want to do it.  -Amelia Earhart

I've biked through the Loess Hills a few times.  Iowa is not flat!  It is really beautiful out there, I hope you enjoy it.

Thank you!  I'm sure I will love the beauty!    I have a love/hate relationship with hills, so running them at night ought to do wonders for making the hate stronger.  Big grin

Michelle

DoppleBock

Did I read this correctly - 19,000 feet of elevation change for 50 mile.  Is that 19,000 up and 19,000 down or 9,500 up and 9,500 down for a total of 19,000?

The first is insane

* If you assume 1/2 the time (25 miles) you are going up 19,000 feet and 1/2 the time (25 Miles) you are going down 19,000 feet that is an average of a 14.3% grade

the later is still a hilly race

* If you assume 1/2 the time (25 miles) you are going up 9500 feet and 1/2 the time (25 Miles) you are going down 9500 feet that is an average of a 7.2% grade

Long dead ... But my stench lingers !

No way in hell Iowa can produce 19k gain in 50 miles.  That's more gain per mile than Hardrock.

From the website...

"All runners run the same course which consists of either One, 12.5 mile loop,  four, 12.5 mile loops for 50 milers and eight, 12.5 mile loops for our 100 milers. Elevation change is approximately 4750 feet per loop for a grand total of 19,000 feet for your 50 miles and 38,000 feet for the 100. To put it mildly, you WILL get a workout. There are no exceptionally long climbs, however, there are many, and most offer short, steep climbs and descents. Don’t fret though, it’s not all climbing and descending, there are several optimally placed, relatively flat stretches."

Michelle

npaden

There's a pdf course map with elevation shown.  It has to be 4,750 elevation CHANGE (2,375' up + 2,375' down = 4,750' change).

That even seems like a little bit of a stretch looking at the chart, but sometimes small ups and downs don't show up well on the charts.

Current PR's:  Mara 3:14:36* (2017); HM 1:36:13 (2017); 10K 43:59 (2014); 5K 21:12 (2016)

Elevation change = both ascent and descent.

Elevation gain = ascent only

9500 feet of elevation gain is still pretty tough for 50 miles.  Get your hill training in.

I meant to post here after the race.  It was quite an experience!  Running three out of four loops in the dark before seeing the light of day was a new one. It made sunrise even better.  The hills weren't long, but they were steep and plenty. At the start I wondered why so many people had trekking poles, I figured it out quickly.   The temps weren't too bad, down to about 20 with the wind chill.   It was a well organized event, awesome course especially once I could see it all when the sun popped up.  Overall I struggled due to a slight fever and some fatigue, which little did I know was the start of the flu for me.  Crossed the finish line in 14 hours, considering the steep climbs and lingering at the aid stations, I wasn't shocked.  My best flat 100k time is just under 12 hours but apparently flat and not being sick makes a big difference!  

Great food at the aid stations (fresh potato soup hit the spot), super nice volunteers, and the RD's were funny as heck!  If I repeated states (other than TN) I would do this one again!

Michelle