Ultra Runners

November 2018 Ultra training thread (Read 35 times)

a smith

king of the non-sequitur

Good luck to you both.  I will check it out.

GL Seamax, is that you in the green jacket on ultrasignuip?

Bridle Trails 50k 1-13-24 5:39

Cottontail 6 Hour 4-13-24

Cougar Long Series (May,June,July,Aug 2024)

Carkeek 6 Hour 10-19-24 

drock69

Thanks for the sock recommendations! Will try some new ones, some races here give free drymax socks if you pick up garbage on the trail during a race. I always seem to miss out on that, since I finish at the back of the pack, they have everything put away by the time I get there.

Ann Trason did a trail run meet up in Vancouver during the summer, I wasn't around for it. She's good friends with a local trail runner

Fnky - I usually only get 5 or 6 days running (less than that lately unfortunately). I'll do biking on the trainer another day on a good week

Club Fat Ass New Years Day 50k - Jan 1 - 6h13m

First Half HM (road) - Feb. 9

Chuckanut 50k - Mar. 21

Sun Run 10k - Apr. 19

BMO Vancouver Marathon - May 3

Vancouver 100k (Club Fat Ass) - 32h07m 2 runs, pacing 100 miler friends

Whistler Alpine Meadows 100 miler - September 25

nOOky

Drock, my wife carried a blue bag of dog poop 6 miles to get her socks lol I was like wtf over?

Istria 110k 4-6-2024

WS100 6-29-2024

UTMB 171k 8-30-2024

MCM 10-27-2024

T Hound

Slower but happier

SeaMax is 1st at 45 miles, 8:06, a ways to go

WC - ?not sure your bib number, but hopefully all is well

Krash is Anteloping

Nooky:  carrying a bag of dog poop should get you 2 pairs of socks minimal.

1st run in the snow here (just enough to coat the trail) nothing building up.  Also, first run in

awhile on a trail, being outside is much more enjoyable than the TM.

I was looking for a watch with music, but decided it is just not worth the money because my

Fenix 3 works fine so basically I would be paying $300 at least for what I have+MP3 player and a little

convenience.  Also, the map function of the newer Fenix5, but again, not really something I really need.

Though for you guys with elevation, the Climb function looks cool.  Though the music really cuts down

the battery life.

SO, now I am looking at MP3 players.  They are all weird brands, so I am not

familiar with any of them.  Does anyone have a one they have used?  The look about $25-50,

so that is much better.  But, I imagine these are not going to hook up to wifi and download stuff

from the cloud or run spotify without physically connecting them to download? Not sure.

I did find a pair of waterproof JBL headphones on the internet that can hold MP3, that is intriguing.  I often wash

my headphones in the washer, lol.  But the whole physically connect to computer thing...

I had a spurt of ultra running book reading.  Have not done that in awhile because they all started to sound the

same.  I read Finding Gobi by Dion Leonard about him adopting a dog who follows him across a Gobi dessert race.

You can likely tell by my picture I like dogs.

Also, a book by Charlie Engle called Ultrarunning Man (familiar enough title) which was more in line with the usual ultra books about addiction, recovery, excessive amounts of running (this is not a dig against the book, just is no doubt a genre),but also the part in prison I thought was really interesting and engaging.

Last, a film of Karl "Speed Goat" Metzler dropped on Net Flix and at (41min) is a good watch.

2020 goal:  couch to 5K, currently working on the couch block

nOOky

I carry an old cell phone for an mp3 player, an LG G4. I can snap a decent picture with it if I have to, or call 911 if needed. I usually don't carry my regular phone. I pair the LG with Jaybird X3 earbuds.

1.4 mile trail run today before I had to shut it down. I suspect sesamoiditis in my left foot, I rested two days, but I think it's going to take longer than that. Kind of bummed, I'm only at 15 miles for the week because of it.

Istria 110k 4-6-2024

WS100 6-29-2024

UTMB 171k 8-30-2024

MCM 10-27-2024

T Hound

Slower but happier

Looks like Seamax ftw at Crooked 24h!

nOOky

Looks like wcrunner got 50 miles in...

Istria 110k 4-6-2024

WS100 6-29-2024

UTMB 171k 8-30-2024

MCM 10-27-2024

a smith

king of the non-sequitur

wow congrats & effusive praise WC & Seamax!!! pretty incredible and inspiring or us viejitos. WC is 70+ and Seamax is 55+! both get my vote for ultrarunners of the year *bow*

Carkeek 6 Hour 10-19-24 

WC, wow, WTG on 50 miles!

SeattleMax, woooo on the win!  Hoping you got a giant WWF style belt and buckle for this accomplishment.

nOOky, I'd totally carry a bag of dog poop to get good socks.  Sorry about the foot.  Is that something you've had before?

TM Hound, I still listen to CDs.  Bet I could find my old Walkman too.  So I've got no technology advice about anything.

AQI is better today, only "unhealthy for sensitive groups".   So I did five joggity jog miles this morning.  Drove an hour south yesterday to find better air and went for a hike at Big Basin State Park.  Total for the week including the hike is 28.6  Glad to get that much.

5/11/24 Grizzly Peak Marathon, Berkeley, CA

7/20/24 Tahoe Rim Trail 56 miler, NV

9/21/24 Mountain Lakes 100, OR

wcrunner2

Are we there, yet?

WC, wow, WTG on 50 miles!

Thanks! I'll get around to writing a RR.  There's a bit of a backstory here beginning with me losing my dinner Friday night, and I don't mean I misplaced it.

2024 Races:

03/09 - Livingston Oval Ultra 6-Hour, 22.88 miles

05/11 - D3 50K
                            05/25 - What the Duck 12-Hour

06/17 - 6 Days in the Dome 12-Hour.

a smith

king of the non-sequitur

forgot to write my weekly report fwiw. 40.3M and not feeling any better. made my goal of not driving to work for the third week in a row but my knees are still bad. left one is worse actually. i guess its good to find the cause but i think its mainly riding the ebike. its a bad riding position but i feel embarrassed to get a fit check for an ebike and there isnt one with a bigger frame than this one. but i am spending 6 hours a week on it and its killing my patellar tendons. fauck! every time i find something good...really good...like good enough to not need a car good...its f'ed up in some way. my toe feels a little better but it's more swollen now and darker color and i still cant do hills or run in most of my shoes. sorry for the negativity but this is my report. wallow 

Carkeek 6 Hour 10-19-24 

T Hound

Slower but happier

25 mi for me.  5/7 days. Only 1 outside though.  Mixing in a Fair amount of walking.  Actually enjoying it.  Some incline running, some strength.  I think if I get an hour a day of something everyone is happier.

Fnkyhd.  Sorry to hear the bikes not working.  When I was in St Louis everyone was on electric Scooters...

Gatsby.  Things look brutal there.  Good to hear you are safe.

Nooky.  Bummer about the sesamoid.

WC great job on the 50 miles. Look forward to your race regurgitation

To to save time, I was going to buy a fan online rather than go to the store, but was discourage by all the reviews.  Not by what they said just by the shear number.  I spent more time reading reviews than it would take to go get one IRL.  I ended up not getting one.  One fan had over 1000 reviews.  Whose the guy when there is like 999 reviews for a $25 fan says I’m gonna need to write another just to touch on some things that were missed?  Some people had videos of their fan which I watched.  This is what I’ve become...

wcrunner2

Are we there, yet?

For those interested my RR, it's posted in the Trailer Trash group, link here.

2024 Races:

03/09 - Livingston Oval Ultra 6-Hour, 22.88 miles

05/11 - D3 50K
                                  05/25 - What the Duck 12-Hour

06/17 - 6 Days in the Dome 12-Hour.

berylrunner

Rick

Set out to do challenge last week, a half marathon minimum distance per day.  Ended up going beyond and had a PR week of 117 miles.

Monday, 14

Tuesday, 14

Wednesday am, 4

Wednesday afternoon, 13 on a nice trail (should be snow covered this time of year) 2600 gain

Thursday am, 14, hill repeats 3400 gain

Thursday pm, 4.5

Friday am, 13

Friday pm, 3

Saturday, 23 long run

Sunday, 14.5, peak bagging, snow, altitude.  2600 gain

A little tired but everything is good.  It was more of a mental challenge than physical.  Ate everything in the house.  Now back to marathon training.

12-22   Last One Standing  - dnf 37 miles

1-23  Sun Marathon - 3:53

3-4-23  Red Mountain 55k - 7:02

4-15-23  Zion 100 - 27:59

drock69

35 miles run, 3950' elevation gain. 5 miles walk and 1h45m biking on Zwift. Went for a good trail run with a group on Saturday, beautiful weather for this time of year. A little frosty and some ice, nicer than usual though. Someone managed to lose the trail, so spent about 20 minutes looking for her. Old FSR was actually paved at one point, still had metal grip too, really strange never seen pavement on a trail that's seems so far away from everything. Some really nice views.

https://photos.app.goo.gl/cFLHB7irf2KzVEGd9

Club Fat Ass New Years Day 50k - Jan 1 - 6h13m

First Half HM (road) - Feb. 9

Chuckanut 50k - Mar. 21

Sun Run 10k - Apr. 19

BMO Vancouver Marathon - May 3

Vancouver 100k (Club Fat Ass) - 32h07m 2 runs, pacing 100 miler friends

Whistler Alpine Meadows 100 miler - September 25