Ultra Runners

100km Trail Race (Read 637 times)

Str1der

Hey all, I have been taking a cautious approach to my ultra expansion. I ran my first 50km last year and will be running two this year, with some marathons thrown in for fun. Next year will be Jay, another 50km and then likely the JFK50 for my first 50 miler. As a guy who likes to plan, especially when the family is involved, I am looking toward 2010 and would like to run a 100km race. I don't have a desire (at this point) to run a 100 miler, but I'd like to push the 50 miler to the 100km distance. So help - I am looking for a good 100km trail race. I am having trouble finding one. I don't want to run a multi-loop course, would like a Point-Point, Out-and-Back, or a big loop style. Mostly trail,l and with some nice scenery and climbs would be a bonus. I live in Ont, Canada, so east coast is better, but I'd travel to any place in North America is required. Ideas? Thanks in advance. d.

You'll ruin your knees!

Great Eastern Endurance Run, aka GEER does a pretty nice job with the 100K (my first), although it can be hot and humid, beautiful course. Not in the East, but Miwok gets some incredibly positive reviews from runners. Down in Texas is a mighty fine 100k called Bandera, but it is two loops... Also not exactly in the East, H.U.R.T. has a 100k option (loops, but mighty cool loops!) I guess there aren't that many 100k options out there... Good luck!

""...the truth that someday, you will go for your last run. But not today—today you got to run." - Matt Crownover (after Western States)

Str1der

Thanks. Yup they are hard to find. GEER looks like the best option so far. I had seen Miwok before, but it looks like it might be hard to get into, but worth submitting the application for 2010, the timing would be perfect. HURT is a little far Smile and Bandera might be a little too close to JFK. more?
          There's Where's Waldo in Oregon. http://www.wpsp.org/ww100k/
          Carl A

This is just an idea, and I hope you don't mind me mentioning it, but you could organize your own local 100K. Although putting on a major race can be a ton of work, a low-key, free-entry run can be relatively simple to get together. Organizing such a race is probably about as difficult as arranging a long trip, and by doing so you could also serve other runners. Either way, you seem level-headed and organized, so you might be a natural as an RD.

Speed my steps along your path, according to your will.

I've run portions of what would be Miwok for other races. It's a stunningly beautiful - and very challenging - course. I crewed for a friend who completed the Headlands 100 a couple of weeks ago. It covers some of the same area as Miwok. Word of Warning: Be prepared to climb.

Leslie
              Living and Running Behind the Redwood Curtain
              -------------

Trail Runner Nation

Sally McCrae-Choose Strong

Bare Performance

Str1der

This is just an idea, and I hope you don't mind me mentioning it, but you could organize your own local 100K..
                Not a bad idea - but I think I should run one first Wink Waldo sounds cool, but we have plans already for that time in 2010 (told ya I liked to plan, actually it will be my 50th around then (yak), and my wife and I have a sailing trip planned). Climbs don't scare me, Miwok is definitely at the top of the list right now. Perfect time of year and what a fabulous location....now how to get in Hmmmmm

On On

This is just an idea, and I hope you don't mind me mentioning it, but you could organize your own local 100K. Although putting on a major race can be a ton of work, a low-key, free-entry run can be relatively simple to get together. Organizing such a race is probably about as difficult as arranging a long trip, and by doing so you could also serve other runners. Either way, you seem level-headed and organized, so you might be a natural as an RD.
                  I've given this some idea to get one this distance around me. I am also thinking of doing the no frills version first to see how hard that is to plan. I'll see how it goes in DE this weekend and then judge if I could carry it off as well. Carl, Maybe I have to ask you for your expertise and assistance to accomplish it. Wink
                  Carl A

Rick, I'd be happy to help! The main thing was setting up the website, which was free on Yahoo. (The version that's up right now for us is pretty sparse; I'm slowly redoing the site for next year.) Also, getting the word out through Ultrarunning magazine's web calendar, Run100s, the Ultra listserv, here on RunningAhead, and on local running boards was pretty simple to do. Finally, giving the course a trial run the first year, with just a few people, helped us iron out problems before the crowd arrived. For example, we realized that making the course a series of shorter out-and-back legs, rather than a giant loop on the whole trail system, would be much more manageable with limited volunteers. It also gave us some much-needed ultra experience and allowed us to set distance PRs. Good luck!

On On

I was doing some research online and with maps last night and figure you could do a 100k and a 100M event here in NJ. There are several trails in Northern NJ that extend for quite a few miles including the AT, Highlands Trail and several old railroad beds that are now trails. I agree though that with very limited volunteer support it would be quite daunting to try to man aid stations, make sure all participants moved around the course properly and no one outside the event screwed around with markers. I think a small loop would be so much easier to work with (either 10M or even 10K loop) but worry that some runners may find that boring and not be interested. I may do a small 10K loop this winter and see if anyone else wants to join me. It may be a nice training run for others to be able to do up to 10 laps and do a 100k.
                      Carl A

Cool - If you decided to do it, keep us posted. It could be a good run!

Imminent Catastrophe

I've run portions of what would be Miwok for other races. It's a stunningly beautiful - and very challenging - course. I crewed for a friend who completed the Headlands 100 a couple of weeks ago. It covers some of the same area as Miwok. Word of Warning: Be prepared to climb.

(Zombie thread)...

You're not kidding. I did part of it last week and starting to wonder if I didn't bite off more than I can chew. I'm hoping to do the Bolinas Ridge section soon, we'll see how that goes.

"Able to function despite imminent catastrophe"

"To obtain the air that angels breathe you must come to Tahoe"--Mark Twain

"The most common question from potential entrants is 'I do not know if I can do this' to which I usually answer, 'that's the whole point'.--Paul Charteris, Tarawera Ultramarathon RD.

√ Javelina Jundred Jalloween 2015

Cruel Jewel 50 mile May 2016

Western States 100 June 2016

xor

You have no choice.

We're all counting on you.

You can do it.

giddy-yup

(Zombie thread)...

... I'm hoping to do the Bolinas Ridge section soon, we'll see how that goes.

I have the privilege of course-marking that section this year. Woo-hoo!

Miwok is spectacular, start to finish. A modified out and back, with sunrise views of the GG Bridge. As long as there isn't a downpour, a la 2009.

My best advise as a one time finisher, walk all hills in the early am. There will be plenty left to run up come late afternoon/early evening.