Ultra Runners

Do You Think . . . . . (Read 556 times)

Someone who has run 50ks for the past 4 years (only been running 5 years), one 50-miler last year, and has been/will be sidelined this year for about 6 months (March 27 'til probably at least September) can work back up to two 50 milers next year, then increase things the following year with a possible goal of a 100-miler in 2013????

I was planning on two 50-milers this year (April and Sept or Oct) until I tore a tendon in my foot in March.  I've been pool running and stationary biking to try and keep the cardio up and have been doing as much strength training as a person can when she can't put weight on the foot.  (Upper body, no problem.  Lower body, problem.)

I can't get the idea of a 100-miler out of my head.  I must be a glutton for punishment.

Leslie
    Living and Running Behind the Redwood Curtain
    -------------

Trail Runner Nation

Sally McCrae-Choose Strong

Bare Performance

Imminent Catastrophe

Yes. Next question?

"Able to function despite imminent catastrophe"

"To obtain the air that angels breathe you must come to Tahoe"--Mark Twain

"The most common question from potential entrants is 'I do not know if I can do this' to which I usually answer, 'that's the whole point'.--Paul Charteris, Tarawera Ultramarathon RD.

√ Javelina Jundred Jalloween 2015

Cruel Jewel 50 mile May 2016

Western States 100 June 2016

Big grin  A good first 100 miler that's not clear across the country?!?  And PerfesserR, if you say Headlands I might have to hunt you down and maim you.

Leslie
        -------------

Trail Runner Nation

Bare Performance

Magic 8 Ball says; YES

"Famous last words"  ~Bhearn

Imminent Catastrophe

Big grin  A good first 100 miler that's not clear across the country?!?  And PerfesserR, if you say Headlands I might have to hunt you down and maim you.

What's wrong with Headlands? Fast and flat, I hear. But seriously, I hear Javelina Jundred near Phoenix is a good one. I'm considering that one myself. 

Please don't maim me, I'm already maimed enough. 

"The most common question from potential entrants is 'I do not know if I can do this' to which I usually answer, 'that's the whole point'.--Paul Charteris, Tarawera Ultramarathon RD.

Javelina Jundred is one that came to mind.  My in-laws winter in Yuma, AZ, so I could get them to crew for me!  (Use the people you know, I say.)  Plus, Dove from the Masters Forum ran this year and loved the course. Thinking, thinking, thinking . . .

Leslie
              -------------

Trail Runner Nation

Bare Performance

Yes, of course. Smile

DoppleBock

You can do a 50 - It will be a little slower if you had not been injured (Or not) - The strategy is the same:  Run or run/walk a pace that you can maintain for 50 miles, take care of your body, eat, drink and electrolytes.  When you start to hurt - be tough.

The last 3 - 50s I ran in less than the shape I wanted to be - But I learned more than when I am in shape.

Long dead ... But my stench lingers !

You'll ruin your knees!

I believe you can. 

Good hunnerds in your neck o'the woods...

Tahoe Rim

Cascade Crest

Angeles Crest

Bear

Wasatch

Ooo, just found... http://www.runwildidaho.com/default.aspx

Sure there's more, too depressing to look...

""...the truth that someday, you will go for your last run. But not today—today you got to run." - Matt Crownover (after Western States)

Imminent Catastrophe

I believe you can. 

Good hunnerds in your neck o'the woods...

Tahoe Rim

Cascade Crest

Angeles Crest

Bear

Wasatch

Ooo, just found... http://www.runwildidaho.com/default.aspx

Sure there's more, too depressing to look...

Watch it, you're gonna get maimed.

You'll ruin your knees!

Watch it, you're gonna get maimed.

I made no mention of Headlands...

""...the truth that someday, you will go for your last run. But not today—today you got to run." - Matt Crownover (after Western States)

Yeah, but most of those still give me the "holy freaking crap!" feeling. 

You can do a 50

Are you talking about this year still?  If so, the thought hadn't even crossed my mind.

And today is my first full day off crutches after 11 weeks.  The foot isn't ready for anything more than EZ slow walking, but maybe I'll be running before September!

Leslie
                          -------------

Trail Runner Nation

Bare Performance

You'll ruin your knees!

... you crossed that line at 100...

Are you talking about this year still?  If so, the thought hadn't even crossed my mind.

And today is my first full day off crutches after 11 weeks.  The foot isn't ready for anything more than EZ slow walking, but maybe I'll be running before September!

Don't think about calendar year so much... within a year...

DoppleBock

Personally I would just take each day, week as it comes - Generally building on successes.

One thing I do know - Once you can train consistently - The fitness comes back much quicker the 2nd time

But the 1st thing is to get your body healed and ready that it can train. 

Long dead ... But my stench lingers !

My ortho won't let me run until I can power walk a solid hour with no pain.  My opinion is I need to be able to do this on the trails, so that's a ways away.  When I am able to start running, I'll be following this program fairly closely.

And DB - I'm keeping my fingers crossed the fitness comes back faster.  I've been busting my butt with stationary cycling and pool running, as well as strength training, so we'll see.

Leslie
                                -------------

Trail Runner Nation

Bare Performance