Ultra Runners

First training run over 50k - nutrition (Read 50 times)

I'm planning on running TARC 50 on 6/14. I'm doing a 36 mile out & bk night training run on Martha's Vineyard this weekend.  The guys I'm running with are experienced ultra runners and their instruction to me were, " dress warm & bring food."  I've only used gu at the marathon distance & an addtl 1/4 pbj at the 50k distance. They've estimated that this training run including breaks & walking will take 9 hours.  My 50k trail was 5:15.  I'm perplexed and concerned now.

HoosierDaddy

GreyBeard

I'm planning on running TARC 50 on 6/14. I'm doing a 36 mile out & bk night training run on Martha's Vineyard this weekend.  The guys I'm running with are experienced ultra runners and their instruction to me were, " dress warm & bring food."  I've only used gu at the marathon distance & an addtl 1/4 pbj at the 50k distance. They've estimated that this training run including breaks & walking will take 9 hours.  My 50k trail was 5:15.  I'm perplexed and concerned now.

I would take 9 x 250-300 calories with you.  Not sure water - depends on if you have access.

Read a few responses I've just gotten for my question and think about playing with the same things.

• Black Canyon 100k
      • RRR
      • Zane Grey 100k
      • High Lonesome 100
      • Wyoming Range 100 (?)
      • The Bear 100
      • Javelina Jundred (?)

Definitely dress warmly.  The body has a natural temperature pattern where early AM is at its coldest.  It is a mistake to think that you will stay warm just because you are moving.

Food, hydration, and electrolyte need is pretty individualized.  One of the reasons for doing a long run like this is to figure that out.  9 hours is still in the easily-digested carb-laden zone.  Take a gel an hour, generally, but also consider noshing on non- or not-so-sweet classic ultra fare: pretzels, potato chips, salted boiled potato chunks, cookies.  It is also better to eat while walking, and drink while eating to speed stomach emptying.  Even if you haven't yet taken any salt (Endurolytes, Thermotabs, S! caps) during a long run or race, it is prudent to carry a few of these pills, just in case.

I failed to add I'm known for needing massive salt & fluids as I'm prone to dehydrate. I will definitely bring pretzels, but wouldn't have thought if it so thanks for reminder.

Thank you for the tip & explanation about dressing warmly in the middle of the night. I never would have known this...  I will definitely pack for cold even though I don't typically get cold.

I've only done one all night training run with a few guys.  It was on a loop so it was easier to manage gear.  Will you have drops set up on this?  Bail out points in case of emergency? 36 miles is a long way to go having to pack everything you may need.

That's all info I'm waiting on...