Ultra Runners

Ice Age 50M (Read 719 times)

xor

Hasn't KM100 got that hot before?  Just because the weather doesn't get above 70 out there in WA doesn't mean you need to be hating on us midwesterners  Smile

That was part of my joke.  I'm not aware of ultras that have been canceled because it got warm.  And I'm not hating on midwesterners, not intentionally at least.

There's just something weird in the water when it comes to Wisconsin/Indiana/Illinois road marathons.

And for the record, the Seattle Rock N Roll Marathon replaced a POS marathon called Seafair.  Every year that race was above 80.  The race I ran Saturday was in the 80s the last time I went 12 hours there.  It gets 80-95 less here than Wisconsin and yet we've never canceled a race because of it.

That was part of my joke.  I'm not aware of ultras that have been canceled because it got warm.  And I'm not hating on midwesterners, not intentionally at least.

There's just something weird in the water when it comes to Wisconsin/Indiana/Illinois road marathons.

SRL, I hear you. The marathon gods must be angry at the midwest. Supposed to get up to 90 again this weekend and Madison marathon is this weekend.

xor

But it isn't the 'marathon gods'.  There are hot races all over the place.  But in that area of the country, they get canceled midrace.  I keep hearing it's because folks there trained all winter in -50 degrees and so 80-90 is harder.  I guess.  I dunno.  It's cold other places too.  And my meteorologist friends tell me that the midwest has had a pretty mild spring compared to most years.  I dunno.  All I know is that if the race is "road" and "Wisconsin", it's off my list now.

Still puzzled at how they decided to have top 5 men/women with times and money after the course officially closed.

Still puzzled why they felt the need to public announce "no discounts for next year to people that got yanked" within 12 hours of closing the event. If they don't want to offer a nominal discount, ok, but do they really need to say that so quickly? And this implies that it was on the list of important things to discuss and work out in the first few hours of what was supposedly a big nightmare.  I guess all those people packed into local hospitals had all been dealt with.  (yes, that's over the top and I'm not that ticked at them... but the need to have their PR person go on record publicly to say 'no discounts!' just seemed extra dickly at that moment. Just say nothing.)

Kalsarikännit

But it isn't the 'marathon gods'.  There are hot races all over the place.  But in that area of the country, they get canceled midrace.  I keep hearing its because folks there trained all winter in -50 degrees and so 80-90 is harder.  I guess.  I dunno.  It's cold other places too.  And my meteorologist friends tell me that the midwest has had a pretty mild spring compared to most years.  I dunno.  All I know is that if the race is "road" and "Wisconsin", it's off my list now.

I think it is fallout from the Chicago disaster.  And I don't think there are that many really hot races.  Stuff in the mid 80's+ still makes the news.  Milwaukee was the same day as Chicago in '07 and they stayed open and did a great job from what I hear.  

It is the same old shit.  If a race doesn't do a good job, people need to not register in future years.  Chicago screwed up royally in '07, thousands of people were really, really upset, and then it is a quick sell out the next year.  In the gsp there are always threads where people who are registered for Rock N Roll races bitch about how much they hate Rock N Roll races.  Myrtle Beach cancelled the night before the race last year due to a less than 2 inch snow fall.  Record numbers this year.  I don't see the incentive for a race director to do a good job considering their races will fill up anyways.

I want to do it because I want to do it.  -Amelia Earhart

Kalsarikännit

I guess all those people packed into local hospitals had all been dealt with.

One person was hospitalized from what I read.  One.  They would be lucky to only have one on a 45 degree day.

So what if A1 wanted to join the 50 States Club* or MM?  He had an official time at the finish but they wiped it out.

*  Super hypothetical.  Besides, the majority of the 50 staters (including yours truly) don't need to join no stinkin' club.

I want to do it because I want to do it.  -Amelia Earhart

xor

Wouldn't count for MM.  Dunno about 50 states, but I don't think so.

As for hot races not being super common, no... but they are not unheard of.  They just weren't super big gigantic news pre-Chicago.  And, in fairness, lots of my hot races are small podunk things and ultras and stuff in Hawai'i (where races wouldn't exist ever if people spontaneously combusted at 75 degrees)... but not all of them.  For example, every year of its existence, the Seafair Marathon ("the thing that became Seattle Rock N Roll") ended in the 80s.  1) city race, 2) in an area known for not being hot... so theoretically 'we didn't get to heat train!' and 3) a race that marketed itself across the country as 'come run the flat and fast summer race'.  It was 80+ and hilly as hell.  Heh.

Side note: when I wrote "all over the place", I was really trying to mean geographically more than saying they are super common.