Ultra Runners

Zach Miller -- very fast JFK50 (Read 72 times)

Uh oh... now what?

Third fastest in history

http://goo.gl/jVJCSd

Amazing run!

Now there are two fantastic 50 mile performances this November.  (and both named Zach..????)

http://www.chicagoultra.org/results/data/Chicago%20Lakefront%2050-50%2050m%20Results%202013.htm

Uh oh... now what?

bhearn

Wow, very impressive. And we can add to that Pam Smith's amazing 50 last month.

Imminent Catastrophe

But. sadly, he didn't qualify for WS100.

"Able to function despite imminent catastrophe"

"To obtain the air that angels breathe you must come to Tahoe"--Mark Twain

"The most common question from potential entrants is 'I do not know if I can do this' to which I usually answer, 'that's the whole point'.--Paul Charteris, Tarawera Ultramarathon RD.

√ Javelina Jundred Jalloween 2015

Cruel Jewel 50 mile May 2016

Western States 100 June 2016

My first time at the race... Zach was long gone by the time I hit the finish. :-)

A question:  What is "Ideal" running weather?  -- Temps on this day were about 48, then dropping, and headwinds picking up as the race progressed, but not as strong as I feared they would be.   For me, had the headwind been 0, or been a tailwind, that would have been more optimal of course, but the temp just about perfect in my opinion.   But what do most runners consider "ideal" on temps?

The Plan '15 →   ///    "Run Hard, Live Easy."   ∞

TripleBock

Temps - Depends on the runner

One of my best races ever - 24 hours .... rained moderately 12 hours.  Temps mid 40s to low 50s.  1/3 the filed dropped our from hypothermia ... ideal conditions for me.

I do feel the for shorter races - 50 mile, that mid 40s - low 50s is ideal as long as you are moving pretty quickly = under 8 hours for 50.

My first time at the race... Zach was long gone by the time I hit the finish. :-)

A question:  What is "Ideal" running weather?  -- Temps on this day were about 48, then dropping, and headwinds picking up as the race progressed, but not as strong as I feared they would be.   For me, had the headwind been 0, or been a tailwind, that would have been more optimal of course, but the temp just about perfect in my opinion.   But what do most runners consider "ideal" on temps?

I am fuller bodied than Dopplebock

I think it depends on the length of the race.  I ran two 50ks with temps from 11 degrees to 23 degrees last winter.  Neither race seemed too cold and I didn't have to wear more than two thin layers for either race.  I would take 10 degrees over 60 degrees as long as it is not really windy.  But if I could pick a perfect temperature range, I would say between 40-50 degrees.

Anonymous Guest

That 48 degrees on Saturday was at one o'clock in the morning. It was 33 at the start and only got to 41 or 42 before dropping again. And of course the wind kinda sucked.

In a shorter race I think these temps would be pretty ideal, but for 50 miles, I'd have rather had a little bit warmer temps - maybe upper 40s to low 50s. Since I'm running at a slower pace for 50 miles than I'd be running for something shorter, I don't get and stay as warm, plus I'm out there a lot longer.

Of course, I'm saying this as a mere mortal that took almost 10 hours to finish, I can't really say what ideal running weather would be for someone that can run this in 5 and change.

Coaching testimonial: "Not saying my workout was hard but KAREN IS EVIL."

Upcoming races: Hennepin Hundred - October 2024

Check out my website and youtube channel

That 48 degrees on Saturday was at one o'clock in the morning. It was 33 at the start and only got to 41 or 42 before dropping again. And of course the wind kinda sucked.

In a shorter race I think these temps would be pretty ideal, but for 50 miles, I'd have rather had a little bit warmer temps - maybe upper 40s to low 50s. Since I'm running at a slower pace for 50 miles than I'd be running for something shorter, I don't get and stay as warm, plus I'm out there a lot longer.

Of course, I'm saying this as a mere mortal that took almost 10 hours to finish, I can't really say what ideal running weather would be for someone that can run this in 5 and change.

You are correct,  I way overstated the temp at 48.  --- Like you, I am a mere mortal, actually I took over 11 hours to finish.  (Tendons on the top of my foot began to swell and hurt by mile 7 after some missteps and abuse on the Appalachian portion, so with each step hurting I just took it easy to the finish.)  Brisk winds, dropping temps, flurries in the air 30 minutes post race, not ideal, but I'm glad at my slow pace I did not get cold or hypothermic.

---For the folks like Zach and others who can finish the 50 in 5 and change, I'd love to see how they conquer that Appalachian trial portion and see just how fast they are going across those rocks and down the switchbacks.

The Plan '15 →   ///    "Run Hard, Live Easy."   ∞

Gator eye

I wonder how much speed I would pick up by changing my first name to Zach? hum

Kalsarikännit

I wonder how much speed I would pick up by changing my first name to Zach? hum

Yeah. Don't leave Gingerich out of that mix. That name=ultra speed.

I want to do it because I want to do it.  -Amelia Earhart

Feeling the growl again

that puts him in good company,  considering that the two times faster than him are two of the better examples of legitimately speedy road marathoners making successful transitions to ultras.

"If you want to be a bad a$s, then do what a bad a$s does.  There's your pep talk for today.  Go Run." -- Slo_Hand

I am spaniel - Crusher of Treadmills