Ultra Runners

Self supported 100k (Read 256 times)

Marquess of Utopia

http://wilderfootraces.wordpress.com/the-races/ I'm looking for some advice. After doing some research I think I'm going to invest in a Nathan HPL 020, unless someone has a better idea. There should be a town halfway to refill water. For a marathon I can carb load enough to only need one GU just to be safe. Any recommendations for nutrition? Yes this will be my first 100k, sounds like a good challenge. I'm probably over thinking this whole thing.

You'll ruin your knees!

Nathan makes great products.  I have the HPL 020 and it is the most comfortable and functional hydration vest that I have ever worn (I've been through 5 or 6 different models).  The pockets on the straps in front are SUPER easy to access and can hold quite a bit.  I occasionally put extra stuff inside the compartment where the bladder goes, it is easy to throw a bottle or two of Boost (250ish calories with protien).  The space is limited with a full bladder in the vest, but still useful.  Additionally, I believe that model has a shock chord on the back that allows you to strap on a jacket or long sleeved shirt...

I have also had good experiences with Honey Stinger products.  The gels are great, all of the flavors have a hint of honey taste... my favorite is the Gold, but I have also used Strawberry and Chocolate successfully. 

They also offer Honey Stinger Waffles that are AWESOME, particularly when you are tired of gels...

Best of luck!

""...the truth that someday, you will go for your last run. But not today—today you got to run." - Matt Crownover (after Western States)

I tend to go through about 1.5L every 3 hours in cool temps (under 60 degrees).  This held true up to 50 miles.  I've heard good things about Nathan packs so it's probably a good choice.  Depending on the weather, etc. you may be taking a small risk with just 2L until the halfway point, I would take a handheld or stash some water sooner.

Everyone has their favorite fuel, and the most important part is going to be consuming enough calories and getting enough electrolytes.  I think the biggest mistake I made training for my first 50M was not practicing eating enough.  I would go run 30 miles and consume 400 calories.  When I ran the 50, I tried to take in 200-300 calories per hour and wound up nauseated within 2 hours.  So practice, practice, practice.

There is some good general stuff in this thread:

http://www.runningahead.com/groups/ultra/forum/ad775aadeb18411b86ca2379857f4cfc

Marquess of Utopia

I tend to go through about 1.5L every 3 hours in cool temps (under 60 degrees).  This held true up to 50 miles.  I've heard good things about Nathan packs so it's probably a good choice.  Depending on the weather, etc. you may be taking a small risk with just 2L until the halfway point, I would take a handheld or stash some water sooner.

I hope to hit 50K in about 3:40 so 2L sounds like no problem for cool temps: (Avg high 67; low 44). I may stash some emergency water 15 miles from the start/finish.

It would be wierd if they avoid off of the local towns there are several towns about 10 miles apart (But I think that want to keep the race all on gravel roads).

When I usually plan a 20 - 30 mile long run in the hot humid summers I can start off with a full 10oz handheld and a few NUUN tablets and then stop 2-3 times to refill at in another town or park.

What is this waffle thing? I love powerbars. It looks like the waffle has less calories than a powerbar. What about an eggo waffle with PB and honey?

*drool*

Nathan makes great products.  I have the HPL 020 and it is the most comfortable and functional hydration vest that I have ever worn (I've been through 5 or 6 different models).  The pockets on the straps in front are SUPER easy to access and can hold quite a bit.  I occasionally put extra stuff inside the compartment where the bladder goes, it is easy to throw a bottle or two of Boost (250ish calories with protien).  The space is limited with a full bladder in the vest, but still useful.  Additionally, I believe that model has a shock chord on the back that allows you to strap on a jacket or long sleeved shirt...

Best of luck!

I have this one also and really like it.  It's great for hydration and packing a bunch of gels.  Not much storage for any gear but it doesn't sound like you are looking for that anyway.  A lightweight jacket fits in the bungy's nicely but that's about it.