Ultra Runners

North Coast 24 (Read 1194 times)

DoppleBock

Not trained enough

Too fat

Ran too fast 1st 5-6 hours

With the exception of a couple 2-3 minute breaks for bathroom or stretching - I was doing 7:55-8:15 laps the 1st 8 hours.  I would be suprised if I had any laps > 12 minutes for the 2 bathroom breaks and 2-3 stretch breaks (self stretching) in those 1st 8 hours.

I hit 50 miles in 7:45-7:50 - Exceptible - But I was putting out way too much effort.  For 40% of the course we were pusing 12-15 MPH winds.  Nice to cool you down, but tough on a wide body.  For the 30% of course with wind at your back - I was sweating like a pig.  My red shirt was pretty white with salt.  I took 18-20 S-caps in the 1st 8 hours.  My hydration was good, fuel was good, salt was good.  But I just could not get anything going into the wind part of the course - By 12-13 hours I was pushing 10-10:30 laps - 11:00-11:30 minutes per mile. 

I am amazed at Connie, Deb, Phil, Johnathan, Harvey and Lisa's performances - I am so happy for Deb Horn - A PR by 2 ish miles for the 50+ year old.

Team

Men

Serge (Auto)

Phil (Auto)

Johnathan (Auto)

Harvey 140 - Open

Women

Connie (Auto)

Deb (Auto)

Abrina Moran (137)

Lisa Bliss (126)

Qualification period goes until June 12

I need to get into shape and try in May or June - I do not know the date for 3 days at fair yet?

Long dead ... But my stench lingers !

DoppleBock

Congrats on 100K!

Early the course was crowded.  You notice this more if you are doing the zigging and zagging to go around runners - But I think the number was about right - Its part of racing.  I do hope they keep it capped at 200.

I don't think it was too crowded..but the competitive runners may have a different take. Also a lot of runners had specific mileage goals and just ran to that point- or took breaks overnight. I know that was the case because I was probably the slowest runner on the track for a few hours overnight and i was still moving up the rankings.

Thanks DB!

Hasher Rick sent me my splits. I was at 40 miles half way through.

It took me the remaining 12 hours to get 24 miles. But, I got 10 miles in the last 3-1/2 hours. So I had a stretch of 8-1/2 hours where I only managed 14 total miles from about 9 PM until 5:30 AM.

I definitely want to try another 24 hour race in the next year. With training, and what I learned being through one, I should be able to improve substantially. I really want to see if I'm capable of 100 miles. I think I am. I should have been able to keep my initial 5:1 run/walk ratio going way beyond 20 miles.

I fell into taking multiple short breaks--and I paid for that in that I would tighten, and it would take me 1/2 mile to get back to normal speed. If I would have taken my 1-1/2 hour break earlier in the night--instead of a # of shorter breaks, I would have saved time, and probably had a better overal result. Sitting for 5 minutes at a time did nothing for me.

On On

3 Days at the Fair

Augusta NJ

May 17 - May 20

www.njtrailseries.com/fair

The course is set up for a PR.  Hope to see both of you again in May.

Rick

Imminent Catastrophe

3 Days at the Fair

Augusta NJ

May 17 - May 20

Rick

NJ Trail Series rocks!

"Able to function despite imminent catastrophe"

"To obtain the air that angels breathe you must come to Tahoe"--Mark Twain

"The most common question from potential entrants is 'I do not know if I can do this' to which I usually answer, 'that's the whole point'.--Paul Charteris, Tarawera Ultramarathon RD.

√ Javelina Jundred Jalloween 2015

Cruel Jewel 50 mile May 2016

Western States 100 June 2016

DoppleBock

Good chance it will be my 2012 attempt - I like the course and RD - I do not like flying etc.  I like that it is not Mother's day weekend. 

3 Days at the Fair

Augusta NJ

May 17 - May 20

Rick

Ive heard good things about 3 Days at The Fair. But I'm running my home marathon (Flying Pig) a couple weeks earlier. For once I want to be fully trained for a marathon.

North Coast 24 is officially on for 2012. Sept-22-23rd. The RD announced it in the Facebook group. I will be doing that again for sure--and again plan to have a big base of miles and blowing away my initial effort. This was the most fun I've ever had race-wise.

DoppleBock

I find this interesting - I wonder if it will still be the National Championship Race?  Since Sept 8-9 is the World Championship.  The 100k National Championship always has not been held when Worlds is that close to it.  I can say I will not be doing NorthCoast in 2012.  Either I will make the National Team or do Superior 100M

It says on the site that they were selected as the national championship race for 2011 and 2012. That has always been there. It wouldn't seem to make sense anymore for 2012 if they want it to be a true national championship race.
                      RD confirmed that it will not serve as the National Championship in 2012.

On On

Good chance it will be my 2012 attempt - I like the course and RD - I do not like flying etc.  I like that it is not Mother's day weekend. 

3 Days at the Fair has been moved a week earlier.  It is still technically the same weekend it has always been (the second weekend) it just happens to conflict with Mother's Day this year.

3 Days at the Fair will start on May 10th for the 72 hour event and conclude on Sunday morning May 13th.

DoppleBock

Booo - Hiss

I will have to re-think  -  I ask too much from my DW already to go out of town on Mother's Day weekend.

Solution #1 (not good) - I go without her

Solution #2 (better) - I find a different race

Thinking ... Thinking ... Thinking ...

3 Days at the Fair has been moved a week earlier.  It is still technically the same weekend it has always been (the second weekend) it just happens to conflict with Mother's Day this year.

3 Days at the Fair will start on May 10th for the 72 hour event and conclude on Sunday morning May 13th.

On On

I don't like it either but it became the best solution for the venue and the event.

DoppleBock

I am not out for sure - I just need to re-think it.  I really do not want to wait until FANS to go for it.  There is also Cornbelt ... that's about all

cpev

>>>>>> David

3 Days at the Fair

Augusta NJ

May 17 - May 20

Rick

Does anyone know what it's like getting to the site of the race (where to fly into, getting from the airport to the course)? I'm trying to decide between training for a 24 hour race or a marathon this spring. I can probably do the marathon for close to nothing, but if the grand total isn't too much a 24 would be cool to do again. I am a grad student after all.