Ultra Runners

How long (Read 549 times)

is a typical recovery after a 100 miler? Yesterday I was doing what I THOUGHT was the 100 mile shuffle though dh stated "us mere mortals do a marathon for what you had to do 100 miles for" I just shook my head at him and laughed however I don't have much of a shuffle today and I've had thoughts of running tonight though I am MAKING myself do nothing more than a walk.

I guess my question is would it hurt my recovery if I did a short and very easy recovery run tomorrow???

Your toughness is made up of equal parts persistence and experience. You don't so much outrun your opponents as outlast and outsmart them, and the toughest opponent of all is the one inside your head." - Joe Henderson

You'll ruin your knees!

I've done it both ways and I prefer to get my legs going ASAP after a hunnerd.  "Get my legs going" sometimes means a brisk walk, maybe only 2 miles... but get out and get them moving.  My feet have been the slowest part of me to come back from the effort... they typically stay a bit swollen for a few days, but I think the activity helps with this. 

I have also always found my appetite is incredible for a couple of weeks after a hunnerd... get ready for that!!! 

Good luck and go run/shuffle/walk... share it with Ken and the kids.. get them out with you!

Lynn B

""...the truth that someday, you will go for your last run. But not today—today you got to run." - Matt Crownover (after Western States)

Thanks Lynn!

I did get out for a little over 3 mile walk yesterday. I'd love a family walk unfortunately Ken gets home late and the twins bedtime is 8:30. Who knows maybe we can squeeze a mile or so in. If not I'll be trying to get out after dinner.

So the feet swelling is normal. What really freaked my out was my right hand was sooooooo swollen I had no knuckes. Thankfully that went away quickly.

As for the appetite, I didn't have much of one yesterday however today OMG. I'm feeding it, but trying to do it as healthy as possible. I've upped my protein intake alot

I was hoping to get  back to marathon training by next week and so far it looks like that may happen *knock on wood*.  

Your toughness is made up of equal parts persistence and experience. You don't so much outrun your opponents as outlast and outsmart them, and the toughest opponent of all is the one inside your head." - Joe Henderson

You'll ruin your knees!

My post-race "healthy" eating...

...but I may be switching to THIS!!!!!!!

""...the truth that someday, you will go for your last run. But not today—today you got to run." - Matt Crownover (after Western States)

I finished the LT100 at 6am on a Sunday... that afternoon I walked 2-3 miles.  Monday I walked for about an hour.  Tuesday was a fast walk/shuffle run.  Wed was back to a normal (though pretty short run).  I was mostly back to normal volume by the 2nd weekend. 

...---...

I love What-a-Burger...hate there aren't any around here. That goes for In-N-Out burger too. I just love burgers. With Cheese. And Bacon.

Pam - I can't even imagine walking much less running (or shuffle) after a 100 miler. But if anybody is up for run after that, it would be you. Maybe one day I'll be worthy to write words in your presence . Seriously though, nice job on the race and congrats. Hope your recovery goes well. 

San Francisco - 7/29/12

Warrior Dash Ohio II - 8/26/12

Chicago - 10/7/12

Purdey

Self anointed title

Hey Pam - once again Congratulations on an amazing race.

I have never done a hundred, but after a recent 76 I was running (v slowly!) again in a few days.  I guess the answer is "as much or as little as you like".  Certainly agree that some sort of activity will massively speed up the recovery - whether it's walking, swimming, biking or a gentle jog - get out there and enjoy some very gentle exercise.

I'm doing a 24hr race in October and plan to take 2 whole weeks off afterwards.  Partially because I plan to push myself to the absolute limit and partially because I'm planning to have a minor surgical procedure just after the race (hey - I'll be in pain and not running anyway, seems like the ideal time to do it - my surgeon wasn't quite so sure!).

I'm in awe of what you achieved.

You'll ruin your knees!

I'm planning to have a minor surgical procedure just after the race

Tom, you want to make sure your doctor and his/her staff understand what you did the day before your surgery, as they will likely get some abnormal readings in your blood pressure, any results from blood testing, etc.  The extreme stress of running like you plan to do will do some goofy things to your body... many of which will look like a problem to your doc...  Good luck!

I finished the LT100 at 6am on a Sunday... that afternoon I walked 2-3 miles.  Monday I walked for about an hour.  Tuesday was a fast walk/shuffle run.  Wed was back to a normal (though pretty short run).  I was mostly back to normal volume by the 2nd weekend. 

sounds like i'm on this road. Ran 3 last night. Got 2 in this morning however I stopped due to blood sugar problems not because I was tired. My biggest challenge is getting enough calories in again

I love What-a-Burger...hate there aren't any around here. That goes for In-N-Out burger too. I just love burgers. With Cheese. And Bacon.

Pam - I can't even imagine walking much less running (or shuffle) after a 100 miler. But if anybody is up for run after that, it would be you. Maybe one day I'll be worthy to write words in your presence . Seriously though, nice job on the race and congrats. Hope your recovery goes well. 

Trey  you are plenty worthy enough! Thanks!

Hey Pam - once again Congratulations on an amazing race.

I have never done a hundred, but after a recent 76 I was running (v slowly!) again in a few days.  I guess the answer is "as much or as little as you like".  Certainly agree that some sort of activity will massively speed up the recovery - whether it's walking, swimming, biking or a gentle jog - get out there and enjoy some very gentle exercise.

I'm doing a 24hr race in October and plan to take 2 whole weeks off afterwards.  Partially because I plan to push myself to the absolute limit and partially because I'm planning to have a minor surgical procedure just after the race (hey - I'll be in pain and not running anyway, seems like the ideal time to do it - my surgeon wasn't quite so sure!).

I'm in awe of what you achieved.

Thanks Tom!! WOW surgery afterwards! I have to say though I was itchen to run so bad last night that I ran in what I went for my walk in (jean shorts, cotton tshirt and old shoes). You sure that's when you want to do it? BTW I thought it might take me 2 weeks before I felt like running, boy was I surprised

Purdey

Self anointed title

Tom, you want to make sure your doctor and his/her staff understand what you did the day before your surgery, as they will likely get some abnormal readings in your blood pressure, any results from blood testing, etc.  The extreme stress of running like you plan to do will do some goofy things to your body... many of which will look like a problem to your doc...  Good luck!

Good point.  Thanks.

I've already had to "educate" them a little bit after they expressed concern at my low HR.  Yep - the blood tests will probably bring back some pretty wired results if taken the day after a 24hr race!  I'm hoping to get is scheduled for about 4-5 days after.

You'll ruin your knees!

Good point.  Thanks.

I've already had to "educate" them a little bit after they expressed concern at my low HR.  Yep - the blood tests will probably bring back some pretty wired results if taken the day after a 24hr race!  I'm hoping to get is scheduled for about 4-5 days after.

I had a full physical with blood work done on a Friday after a hard 100 the previous weekend and the doc was not happy with me... after a lot of explanation, I had to promise to promise not to run a 100 the week before my physical...  the blood work will still show some significant deviations from what is normal for you... 

My biggest challenge is getting enough calories in again

{sigh} To one day be able to say that - every woman's dream!

Leslie
                              Living and Running Behind the Redwood Curtain
                              -------------

Trail Runner Nation

Sally McCrae-Choose Strong

Bare Performance

{sigh} To one day be able to say that - every woman's dream!

It's also this guy's dream!