Ultra Runners

Grand Union Canal Race (Read 371 times)

Purdey

Self anointed title

Stop pretending like you aren't going to kick ass.  Your sandbagging training doesn't fool me.

It's bloody fooling me.

I've trained homeopathically.

Sandy-2

How did it go "ladies" ?

2/17/24 - Forgotten Florida 100 Mile, Christmas, FL

HoosierDaddy

GreyBeard

How did it go "ladies" ?

Um - yeah - any details?

• Black Canyon 100k
        • RRR
        • Zane Grey 100k
        • High Lonesome 100
        • Wyoming Range 100 (?)
        • The Bear 100
        • Javelina Jundred (?)

Okay, I feel bad posting this but I guess the "ladies" haven't visited since the weekend.

WG  finished in 36h56.   147.8 miles.  Crazy stuff.

Purdey badly twisted his knee early on so made the very hard decision to stop at 73 miles or so in.

Jerry made it to 112 miles.

The race was won in 29h10.  It was a good weather weekend as it was dry...but we had more heat than we've had all year and I think that got to quite a few people.  It's a notoriously shitty race though, harder than it should be when you read about it on paper.  Hopefully the ladies themselves will be along at some point....

"Don't walk in front of me; I may not follow.  Don't walk behind me; I may not lead.  Just walk beside me and be my friend."

Kalsarikännit

Harder than it appears on paper. Yes. I am halfway through a long race report, but in Paris, halfway snockered from bordeaux at a brasserie with wifi (win!) on a rainy day, at the moment. I don't know when it will get done. I will post it here when I am finished.

I want to do it because I want to do it.  -Amelia Earhart

bhearn

Harder than it appears on paper. Yes. I am halfway through a long race report, but in Paris, halfway snockered from bordeaux at a brasserie with wifi (win!) on a rainy day, at the moment. I don't know when it will get done. I will post it here when I am finished.

One doesn't get "snockered" from Bordeaux. I believe the phrase you are looking for is rond comme une queue de pelle.

Yep, sorry guys I haven't visited as I have been somewhat distracted by stuff at home.

Brilliant event, I love the GUCR and it was awesome to meet WrigleyGirl at last even briefly in the pub the night before the race. I was totally up for a finish and was fine at 111.5 miles until I started to dry puke at 112....I called it a day then, the heat for this UK boy was just too much and pulled out with heat exhaustion.

WG, enjoy Paris and enjoy the rest

Jerry
                A runners blog-updated daily

WG-Congrats on finishing the race. Can't wait to read the report. Jerry-That is still an impressive run. Way to go!

Kalsarikännit

I just returned from overseas last night. While on trains I managed to throw together a long, rambling report about the race. It was posted to another group and RA's Jeff asked if he could put it on his blog. He did a great job of editing it, and he even threw in the pics. I really appreciate his work on my silly story.

I didn't do a good job with the race. I have been injured and the training wasn't there, therefore this report isn't exactly perky. It just is what it is.

One thing that I never added was my biggest screw up of the race. In the two nights before the race I got a total of seven hours of sleep. I overestimated the amount of time that I would be able to sleep on the plane, and made goofy travel plans. I do this a lot, and it bite me in the ass quite often. I am beginning to realize that proper rest is something that needs to be fit into my schedule, and I have to be disciplined about it. Proof that you continue to learn from your mistake as you progress as a runner.

http://www.logicoflongdistance.com/2013/06/time-moves-differently-report-from-145.html?m=1

DoppleBock

I have never thought of you as perky ... more sassy

, therefore this report isn't exactly perky. It just is what it is.

Long dead ... But my stench lingers !

PaulyGram

Fast is better than long

If Jeff can edit, so can I.

While ... trains... bite me in the ass quite often.  

2017 Goals: Give up goals; they're stoopid

Give a man a fire and he'll be warm the rest of the night;
                        Set a man afire and he'll be warm the rest of his life.

What in the Jehu?

Well written report, WG. Sorry you had the pee issues-I hope everything is alright now. Would you try this race again?
                          TeaOlive

old woman w/hobby

Nice report both pre and post editing.  I know that you aren't happy with how you got there but

congratulations on finishing.

steph  

AT-runner

Tim

Nice RR, WG.  Sorry it didn't work out the way you planned.

Any idea what the urine retention was from?

“Paralysis-to-50k” training plan is underway! 

Kalsarikännit

AT, I don't have any idea what was going on with my bladder. It was weird, obviously very uncomfortable to the point of being painful, and a totally new thing. I kind of expect the unexpected late into races or when I am pushing the pace. There was no reason I can think of for this to happen.

Sue, would I do the race again? Probably not. I do have this though that I would like to go redeem myself, because I know I could do considerably better. Plus it was a great race. It is just that there are only so many chances that people get to race overseas. There are a ton of other races that I would like to do that are far away.

Pauly, Train isn't allowed to bite my ass. His wife won't allow it. They all end up being weird about that.