Ultra Runners

Badwater 2012 (Read 511 times)

bhearn

I heard it was "cool" there this year.

Kalsarikännit

Zach and pacer.

I want to do it because I want to do it.  -Amelia Earhart

bhearn

Last year? Or do they start pacing this early?

Zach and pacer.

Hey, he changed shoes.Big grin

bhearn

Heh

Kalsarikännit

Trona Pass, Panamint Valley

They can get pacers after mile 17, I think.

xor

6 folks haven't checked in at Stovepipe yet.  One of them is Claude. Dammit.

The last person through was Chris Mak at 12:06.  Chris took 5:28 to chew through the first 17 to Furnace.

bhearn

Yeah... he's the only guy I've seen to have sped up to Stovepipe Wells.

Kalsarikännit

Updates of the Self-Transcendence 3100 miler via the ultralist, same with Vol State, Hardrock, BW, and Tahoe Rim next weekend to check up on smalcolm.  It is an ultrastalking dream week. 

xor

Morton through Panamint M72 at 11:02.  Oswaldo now in second at 11:15.  Zach, 11:51.

I'm guessing my buddy Claude is out.

bhearn

Looks that way. I haven't been able to find a list of the cutoffs.

xor

There are only two cutoffs, and the first one isn't mandatory.  But I'm pretty sure those three people are done.

(this is from the rules page)

All runners must have passed, and be proceeding forward, beyond the following locations within the specified time cut-offs:
                          • Stovepipe Wells: within 12 hours of their respective start time (STRONGLY ENCOURAGED).
                          • Panamint Springs Resort: within 28 hours of their respective start time (MANDATORY).

Morton 14:37 at Darwin.  Wow!

Ozwaldo - 15:22 at 90 miles, Zach 15:58 at 90 miles.  Looks like Zach may be catching up.

Kalsarikännit

Historical perspective from Darwin (mile 90):

Zach '09  14:31  

Marco '09 (won) 14:35

Zach '10 (won)  16:00

Oswaldo '11 (won)  15:43

From there the times go all over.  A lot can happen after this.  The race hasn't even begun.

MTA:  Twitter is useful for following along.  Use #bw135 for updates.

Kalsarikännit

Morton through Lone Pine (mile 122) in 20:05.  He has a half marathon to go, but it is up, up, up to Whitney Portal.