Ultra Runners

How to pretend to be a very fast ultra runner (Read 836 times)

xor

Answer: have a name like "John Smith".

I entered Brew to Brew, an interesting 43m road race from a brewery in KC to a brewery in Lawrence KS.  Weee.  Mostly a relay, but they have a solo category.

Randomly this morning, I receive a piece of email from them.  It is entitled "Got your brew to brew entry".

It says:

>> Robert: Would you be the runner who beat Ann Trason at the Jackson 50 back in 1991?

Look at me! Look at me!

(no.  I am slow.  Very slow.)

Imminent Catastrophe

You should reply "yes", you'd probably get comped travel and hotel.

"Able to function despite imminent catastrophe"

"To obtain the air that angels breathe you must come to Tahoe"--Mark Twain

"The most common question from potential entrants is 'I do not know if I can do this' to which I usually answer, 'that's the whole point'.--Paul Charteris, Tarawera Ultramarathon RD.

√ Javelina Jundred Jalloween 2015

Cruel Jewel 50 mile May 2016

Western States 100 June 2016

HoosierDaddy

GreyBeard

You should reply "yes", you'd probably get comped travel and hotel.

Nice.

• Black Canyon 100k
        • RRR
        • Zane Grey 100k
        • High Lonesome 100
        • Wyoming Range 100 (?)
        • The Bear 100
        • Javelina Jundred (?)

Nice.

I thought the same until they say they have a subpoena for you Surprised

Jerry
          A runners blog-updated daily

Trent

Good Bad & The Monkey

Respond: "Who is Anne Trason?"

AmoresPerros

Options,Account, Forums

Respond: "Who is Anne Trason?"

How about: "Maybe. Who is Anne Trason?"

It's a 5k. It hurt like hell...then I tried to pick it up. The end.

xor

Real question: Who IS this "Anne Trason"?

I actually got to meet Ann Trason last year.  Randomly ran a 50 miler (my first in almost 2 years) because she was the race director and I wanted to meet her.  Good that I did too, because she gave the race to someone else for 2011.

As for comped entry and hotel, well, they got my check (hence the title of the email) and my hotel is already covered... but I should have asked for free beer.

Oh wait.

I'll get that too.

WOOHOO!

Trent

Good Bad & The Monkey

Dick Collins Firetrails 50?

Kalsarikännit

I enjoyed Brew to Brew.  (Warning...there is only one spot I didn't enjoy.  There was a long-ish section with nasty large gravel.  It was not nice to the ol feet).  The relay people are very nice and supportive.  Plus when they get done running they are at a few points along the course pounding adult beverages.  Very entertaining.

The beer from Free State Brewery did not disappoint, either.

I would love to meet Ann Trason.  Except I think I would be scared.  She didn't eff around.

I want to do it because I want to do it.  -Amelia Earhart

xor

She is nice and has a very sweet pooch.  I spent about 2 minutes talking to Ann/Mr Ann and 30 minutes playing with the dog.

And, yes, Dick Collins Firetrails.  Now directed by someone else.

I enjoyed Brew to Brew.  (Warning...there is only one spot I didn't enjoy.  There was a long-ish section with nasty large gravel.  It was not nice to the ol feet).  The relay people are very nice and supportive.  Plus when they get done running they are at a few points along the course pounding adult beverages.  Very entertaining.

The beer from Free State Brewery did not disappoint, either.

I would love to meet Ann Trason.  Except I think I would be scared.  She didn't eff around.

I echo what Jenn says here. The gravel section suuuuuuucked.

I didn't drink any of the beer... I was in the car on the way home about 15 minutes after finishing. But it was a cool race. Just be prepared to be running by yourself a lot up until the relay teams start catching you.

And, yes, Dick Collins Firetrails.

I would love any info re this race that you'd be willing to give.  It's on my "perhaps" list . . . . if I survive Leona Divide.  Undecided

My email: fatozzig at yahoo dot com.

Leslie
                          Living and Running Behind the Redwood Curtain
                          -------------

Trail Runner Nation

Sally McCrae-Choose Strong

Bare Performance

Talking about confusing names. I've had that issue my whole adult life.  My name, Brian Purcell, is the same as a stud ultra runner who won Western States back in the 80's and still competes.  He lives about an hour from me, so I always get confused with him.  Whenever I introduce myself to other ultra runners, I always say I'm the "other" Brian Purcell.  And whenever races allow me, I include my middle initial to my entry.

I've met the other BP a few times and have even been in a couple of races with him.  He seems like a nice enough guy.

xor

I ran the 50k associated with the Cowtown Marathon (Texas) last weekend.

There were THREE guys named Robert Lopez.  Luckily, I was the only one in the ultra. The others ran the marathon.

My results at ultrasignup and athlinks get all whomperjobbed.

And as I've mentioned in other threads, I am listed in marathonguide (and I assume athlinks by this point) at having run two marathons in the same day... one on the east coast (Bay State) and one on the west coast (Long Beach).  Not just two people with my name... I mean ME.  Robert Lopez, Seattle WA, 41. (that was 2007)

This happened because I had registered for Long Beach, but then decided to go to Bay State instead.  Meanwhile, at the Long Beach packet pickup, they gave my stuff to the wrong Robert Lopez.

AmoresPerros

Options,Account, Forums

My results at ultrasignup and athlinks get all whomperjobbed.

I admire your vocabulary.

It's a 5k. It hurt like hell...then I tried to pick it up. The end.