Ultra Runners

Introductions for New and Old Members (Read 96 times)

seattlemax

Duke Of Bad Judgment

I'm a recent immigrant from RWOL, although I think I created my account here a few years ago when RWOL culled its users for the first or second time.

I'm 55 with mid-pack-ish talent but the willingness to work hard and a body that seems to tolerate a surprising amount.  (Plus, there's a good PT not far from here and I am perhaps the most compliant PT patient the world has ever seen.)  My running journey started in my early 40's when I noticed everyone around me gaining a lot of weight.  Fitness running in the beginning -> road marathons 10 years ago -> trail races five years ago.  I can have fun at any event and I still try to run 1 or 2 fast marathons each year (Boston plus maybe something else).  But I prefer trail stuff.  This past year has included a wide range of experiences - setting the FKT for the unsupported solo Issy Alps 100 mile, finishing DFL at Plain 100, doing my first Ultrapedestrian Wilderness Challenge, moving forward for 90+ hours to finish the Moab 240, and winning my first-ever 24 hour race (Crooked Road) this past weekend.  I'm not someone who normally wins races or sets FKTs and I can explain why those occurrences are anomalies, but I'll take it when it happens.  In the coming year(s) I'll still do some events but I can see shifting slightly towards more non-event adventure stuff (like UPWC).  There is so much great outdoors stuff close by that costs almost nothing, and can be done when my schedule and the weather lines up.

breadnatty08

Nice meeting some new faces here.  Hoping I stick around more consistently with ultra training heating up.  Smile

Been running for 3 years now so I'm new to the game.  This year I met my two goals of running a 100 miler and BQ'ing so two very different things!  I live and run in Washington, DC and head to the Shenandoah mountains as much as possible to get my vert in.  I tend to stick to the front of the pack though I haven't won a bib'd race outright, still hoping to do it some day.  Next year's goals are to get in a Hardrock qualifier, run another 100 miler (well, it may be 2 of em...) and use the speed I gained from all this marathon training to better my times.  I'll be 33 in a couple weeks so I'm young yet, but it's nice to hang out with the VHTRC folks who are years (and decades) my senior.

Find me on Strava

Hi-Dee Ho - NorCal person here.  Waaay north, in Humboldt County, about 1.5 hrs south of the CA/OR state line.

I migrated over to RA from CR when that whole thing went down a number of years ago.  I used to post in the ultra and trail running forums a lot, but have gotten away from it the last few years and have mostly been posting in the Masters Forum, which mostly has road runners (shocking, I know)

I haven't run an ultra since July 2016.  2017 was a hard year as I was down for the count for 8 months with a bad case of ischial bursitis and now, 2 months back into running, I played the Ultra Stupidity Card and think I have a minor stress fracture in my foot.  I was hoping to attempt my first 100 this year, but we'll see.  I'm a solid back of the pack runner and age isn't helping, so I feel like if I don't give it a shot soon, I'll lose the opportunity to try.

Anyway, some how or another, I ended up administrator of this here forum a long time ago.  So if things need to happen in here and I'm not addressing them, shoot me a message and I'll pull my head.

PS - For those of you who live in the Bay Area - think about running Grasshopper Peak 30k sometime.  It's a fun, small, tough local trail race that can definitely kick your butt.  First 9 miles are all uphill, the next 3 are pretty much a screaming downhill, and then last 6 are a beautiful cruise through the redwoods.

Leslie
        Living and Running Behind the Redwood Curtain
        -------------

Trail Runner Nation

Sally McCrae-Choose Strong

Bare Performance

Pain is my friend

I'm a new guy to the form.  I live in Salt Lake City Utah.  I'm 38 and started running 100 milers 4 years ago.  I have run 5 100 milers.  I am training for my 6th in March on Antelope island.  I hope to go sub 18 hours. I Hope to run Wasatch 100 this year also.

ATY 24   141.445 2019 1st

Bear 100 22:08 2021 

Jackpot 100 Feb 14:59 - 5th

Pulse endurance 48 hr 175.3 miles

Bonnevile Backyard ultra 

Ute 100 Aug

24 hour loop race?

TrailProf

Le professeur de trail

Hmmm...I thought the Ultra Runners forum was dead.  Guess not.  I post mostly over to the Trailer Trash Group which is dwindling ...

I also post to the Running Competition that RA puts on every year.  It's fun and we keep things light.

I run now and then.  It's fun.  I ran my first ultra in 2011 and haven't missed the shorter stuff.  I have run between 12 and 15 ultras but honestly cannot remember all at the moment.  A bunch of 50k races, three 50 milers, a 100k and a 12 hour.  I am signed up for a 24 hour in May and I am leaning towards my first hundred in the fall (OC100) but I won't make that decision until March...which is coming soon.

I migrated from RWOL back 2012 I guess when one of the migrations occurred.  Like a lemming, I just followed the others.  But many are no long posting.  Still some but not nearly as many as used to.  Sad sometimes to think about.

Anywho, I like to learn from others and their running stories.  Maybe I will post here more...maybe I won't.

My favorite day of the week is RUNday

Julia1971

I posted my race report for the San Diego 50 this afternoon if anyone is interested.  Fnkyhd, thanks again for sharing yours from a couple years ago.  I went back and read it the day before the race and it really helped envision the course.

a smith

king of the non-sequitur

I posted my race report for the San Diego 50 this afternoon if anyone is interested.  Fnkyhd, thanks again for sharing yours from a couple years ago.  I went back and read it the day before the race and it really helped envision the course.

Congrats on the good finish and persevering! thanks for reading my report. i enjoyed reading yours and it brought back memories from what was my first 50. if you ever change your mind and want to get back to ultras i recommend Relentless Forward Progress by Powell. if you could boil it all down for a 50M, estimate your marathon time for the same terrain, double it and add 2 hours. Smile

Bridle Trails 50k 1-13-24 5:39

Cottontail 6 Hour 4-13-24

Cougar Long Series (May,June,July,Aug 2024)

Carkeek 6 Hour 10-19-24 

nOOky

Just getting to this now... I am 50 years old, I live in SW Wisconsin with my wife (who also has done some ultras) and 4 dogs, a horse, and a cat.

Goal this year is only the Bear 100, last year I ran 8 ultras in 8 months and got burned out on running. I have been running off and on since I was a child, doing some XC in middle school, some road and mountain bike racing, and recently started running ultras.

I also was a RW forum member, it took me a while to move over here. On RW I used my real name Jay Wnuk mainly so I wouldn't lie or brag, and start arguments over the internet in case I met people in real life 

I still post in the RW Dailies facebook page almost daily.

Istria 110k 4-6-2024

WS100 6-29-2024

UTMB 171k 8-30-2024

MCM 10-27-2024