Ultra Runners

Camille Herron has never done back-to-back long runs and her longest training run was 20 miles (Read 41 times)

GC100k

Camille Herron on Twitter a couple days ago:

"I’ve never done back-to-back long runs. Ever. My longest run before @ComradesRace and my 100 mi World Record was 20.5 miles. Legs felt strong, fresh, and springy."

Discus.

dhuffman63

Trails

LOL...I certainly aren't her.  I'm not an elite, never was an elite, never will be an elite.  They aren't like the vast majority of runners out there.  Personally my favorite is Ulli Kamm.  And I really like Cory Reese and his Nowhere Near First.

drock69

I'm sure there was a lot of intensity in here workouts though. Hard to imagine you'd have the endurance, if you're doing 100 mile weeks, then I guess doing 100 miles in one go would be doable. The 100 mile record wasn't her first 100 miler was it?

Club Fat Ass New Years Day 50k - Jan 1 - 6h13m

First Half HM (road) - Feb. 9

Chuckanut 50k - Mar. 21

Sun Run 10k - Apr. 19

BMO Vancouver Marathon - May 3

Vancouver 100k (Club Fat Ass) - 32h07m 2 runs, pacing 100 miler friends

Whistler Alpine Meadows 100 miler - September 25

T Hound

Slower but happier

Re back to back.  I dont do those either.  I always have a little insecurity about that, so good to know.

Another pro tip is she is sponsored by and  had Rogue dead guy ale during the race  (I am by chance drinking it right now sitting on my a$$ of course), but unlike her, i havent implemented it in a 100 mile WR attempt...yet!  (Maybe if I drink more Rogue, right?)

Also,  given her odd form and amazing athleticism, don't fret your running form is a takeaway.

Last, she seems to run with Joy.  That, at least at the back end of ultras, I haven’t mastered.

2020 goal:  couch to 5K, currently working on the couch block

Another pro tip is she is sponsored by and  had Rogue dead guy ale during the race  (I am by chance drinking it right now sitting on my a$$ of course), but unlike her, i havent implemented it in a 100 mile WR attempt...yet!  (Maybe if I drink more Rogue, right?)

Also,  given her odd form and amazing athleticism, don't fret your running form is a takeaway.

Last, she seems to run with Joy.  That, at least at the back end of ultras, I haven’t mastered.

Reasons to like her even more.

Sounds like Rogue Dead Guy Ale is the secret, not back-to-back long runs.  Finally a training strategy I can work with.

5/11/24 Grizzly Peak Marathon, Berkeley, CA

7/20/24 Tahoe Rim Trail 56 miler, NV

9/21/24 Mountain Lakes 100, OR

bhearn

I'm sure there was a lot of intensity in here workouts though. Hard to imagine you'd have the endurance, if you're doing 100 mile weeks, then I guess doing 100 miles in one go would be doable. The 100 mile record wasn't her first 100 miler was it?

She does more like 140-mile weeks. She's averaged over 100 mpw for the past I forget how long, I think around 15 years.

Her WR run was her third 100-mile attempt, first finish. Almost everyone (myself included) thought it was not going to be pretty when she paced to break it by more than an HOUR. Well, what do we know.

RWD

Does she work full time?

Bert-o

I lost my rama

How does one do 140 miles per week with a LR of only 20.5 without b2b's?  I suppose day after day of doubles or triples, but that's still a lot of cumulative time on one's feet without a lot of rest in between.

And I'm with Gatsby on the beer.  My best ultra was when I had 6 IPA's.

3/17 - NYC Half

4/28 - Big Sur Marathon  DNS

6/29 - Forbidden Forest 30 Hour

8/29 - A Race for the Ages - will be given 47 hours