Ultra Runners

Stepping up to a 100 miler? (Read 58 times)

bhearn

There’s a big difference between a 15-20 mile loop and a 2-mile loop. Yes the latter is easy to crew, but you may find it a lot more boring.

wcrunner2

Are we there, yet?

There’s a big difference between a 15-20 mile loop and a 2-mile loop. Yes the latter is easy to crew, but you may find it a lot more boring.

Says the man who runs 24 hours on a 400m track.

2024 Races:

03/09 - Livingston Oval Ultra 6-Hour, 22.88 miles

05/11 - D3 50K
            05/25 - What the Duck 12-Hour

06/17 - 6 Days in the Dome 12-Hour.

bhearn

Says the man who runs 24 hours on a 400m track.

Exactly. 100 miles on a two-mile loop is a lot closer to that than to a typical 100.

runlikeagirI

Have you ever run at Huntsville? All the YOU WILL DIE OF ROOTY ROOTNESS in the rocky raccoon literature made me nervous, but that was the most runnable trail I've ever seen in my life.  Way overblown IMO.

I'm scared of the Rocky Raccoon because tree roots are my nemesis.  My only race to ever DNF was the Whispering Pines trail race and I was running with a barely healed collar bone and the Dr. told me not to run the race but if I did, just don't fall and I lost count of how many times I fell but it was well over 10 times in 20 miles when I threw in the towel because my fall frequency was increasing as I got tired and I didn't want to finish at the expense of a broken collar bone.  I'm still tempted but it is the weekend between my 2 biggest work jobs of the year.  Still tempted.

berylrunner

Rick

Welcome to the group.  Some good responses.  I also agree to pick the race you want to do, even if you have to extend your time frame.  You have already put in some marathon work so you have a base.  As I am starting a marathon cycle I am trying to turn big miles into speed.  You will have to turn speed into big miles.  I think you have a good trick with the hunting.  Patience.

Your biggest challenge will be getting the rugged hill training in.  Anything where you live? Even a 100 footer that you can do repeats on? Plenty of friends and I have completed a rugged 100 on the first try but we all lived close to mountains.

12-22   Last One Standing  - dnf 37 miles

1-23  Sun Marathon - 3:53

3-4-23  Red Mountain 55k - 7:02

4-15-23  Zion 100 - 27:59

berylrunner

Rick

Oh. I don't think there is an "easier" 100 miler.  It's individual and for me those loop courses would be way harder.  Kudos for those doing those.  The terrain never changes.  I need variety. I was thinking about doing Javelina again but after being there this weekend and pacing, no way.

berylrunner

Rick

I guess I need to think about just picking a race that I have a decent chance of finishing instead of picking a hard one that would make my chances of finishing much less.

You have put in some work if you are running a 3:14 marathon at 215 lbs no less.  You have a good base to finish any 100 you just need a 100 percent positive attitude.  "Chances of finishing" nonsense.

That being said, you sig says you want a goal weight of 195.  Losing weight and training for long distance is very difficult.  I am going through that right now.  I just want to eat all the time with the big miles.  So in that regard, extend your time frame out, do normal training, get some weight off and then ramp up for the 100.  In between you will have some time to do some races as training.  Try to select hard ones that will mimic the course of the 100 you have in mind.

Don't settle for a race you don't want to do, make that first one special.

TrailProf

Le professeur de trail

Following the conversation.

I had to jump in when I read C & O Canal 100.  You are considering it because it's on your wife's b-day but you know it's pancake flat, right?  And out-n-back.  The views are nice but ...pancake flat.

I too am thinking about my first 100 in 2019.  But I have to say my criteria are different than yours.  I need somewhat close proximity and no pancake flat for me.  Oh and no hot/humid for me (as much as can be planned for).

If you can't decide, take a half dozen100's and roll dice to see which one will be the lucky race.  

My favorite day of the week is RUNday

npaden

Thanks again everyone for the input.  I'm still kicking this around and trying to make a decision.  I've kind of given up the pancake flat, 2 mile loop type "easy" 100 mile races as I really don't think I would get the same satisfaction out of them that I would a harder race.

I'm kind of narrowing in on 2 races, Zion 100 on April 12th (need to really get busy training for it) or Salt Flats 100 on May 4th.

Salt Flats is easier (5,500' elevation vs. 10,400').  Seems like overall less technical trails (reading race reports it seems like a lot of folks don't really enjoy running the slick rock at Zion)  Higher % of folks finishing within 24 hours (32% for Salt Flats, 17% for Zion), better time frame for me from a work perspective, more time to train, etc.

Zion sounds like a much prettier and neat race though.

Anyone done either of these races?

Current PR's:  Mara 3:14:36* (2017); HM 1:36:13 (2017); 10K 43:59 (2014); 5K 21:12 (2016)

Pain is my friend

Haven't done Salt Flats 100 but want to do it. Its the wrong time of year for me most of the time.

Thanks again everyone for the input.  I'm still kicking this around and trying to make a decision.  I've kind of given up the pancake flat, 2 mile loop type "easy" 100 mile races as I really don't think I would get the same satisfaction out of them that I would a harder race.

I'm kind of narrowing in on 2 races, Zion 100 on April 12th (need to really get busy training for it) or Salt Flats 100 on May 4th.

Salt Flats is easier (5,500' elevation vs. 10,400').  Seems like overall less technical trails (reading race reports it seems like a lot of folks don't really enjoy running the slick rock at Zion)  Higher % of folks finishing within 24 hours (32% for Salt Flats, 17% for Zion), better time frame for me from a work perspective, more time to train, etc.

ATY 24   141.445 2019 1st

Bear 100 22:08 2021 

Jackpot 100 Feb 14:59 - 5th

Pulse endurance 48 hr 175.3 miles

Bonnevile Backyard ultra 

Ute 100 Aug

24 hour loop race?

berylrunner

Rick

I ran Zion last year and used to set up the course, planning on the 100 again.  Yes, the slick rock does chew up runners but it is a small percentage of the course.  Plenty of fast single and double track.  No words for the scenery.  Almost makes for slower times, especially if you run with a camera

runlikeagirI

Not mentioned in this thread yet (at least I don't think so) - Yeti 100 lottery is open now . Not technical, no huge steep inclines or declines, very pretty trail.  It was my first 100 last year.  It's an out-back-out on the Virginia Creeper trail, an old railbed.  I challenge anyone to find a better atmosphere/vibe at any race of any distance.

a smith

king of the non-sequitur

just saw this thread

npaden, did you make a decision?

I dnf'ed at Mt lakes last sept. for me the 100M is a totally different animal than even 100k. nothing in shorter races and nothing anyone said prepared me for the low I had there. I probably could have finished if I had crew or pacer. I'd like to try again at coldwater rumble 2020. does anyone know when that signup is?

Bridle Trails 50k 1-13-24 5:39

Cottontail 6 Hour 4-13-24

Cougar Long Series (May,June,July,Aug 2024)

Carkeek 6 Hour 10-19-24 

npaden

Thanks again for all the comments and suggestions.

My heart says to still give it a go.

My brain says that I should probably knock out a few more 50Ks, a 50 miler and maybe a 100K before trying to step it up.

Age: 50 Weight: 224 Height: 6'3" (Goal weight 195)

Current PR's:  Mara 3:14:36* (2017); HM 1:36:13 (2017); 10K 43:59 (2014); 5K 21:12 (2016)

strambo

I think you're over-thinking it.

I was never a "runner" so my running experience beyond a 5k or 10k every few decades and a 2 mile Army PT test run every year was basically zero.   I just got it in my head to find out if I could run 100 miles through the mountains?  I stepped up to a 100 miler from running roughly 6 miles per month.

So; Jan 1st 2018 I started running seriously and more importantly learning about endurance training with this site being a huge resource!  I also got a whole bunch out of the book Relentless-Forward Progress as well as inspiration/motivation from "Born To Run" and watching The Barklay Marathons etc.  On Sunday I completed the Mountain Lakes 100 in Oregon.

I won't offer any specific running-related advice since I am a total rookie.  It did strike me that perhaps mentally the toughest thing may be to run all night.  Voluntarily doing something miserable from dusk-dawn (and perhaps beyond) alone, in the dark, when you can quit any time.

I reflected that due to my Army infantry background...I can't count how many times I have done grueling physical activities all night.

My non-running advice would be to either find a race...or plan a long training run with support that has you going from dusk 'till dawn.  Are there 50 milers that start in the afternoon?  Or, hike all night with a decently heavy pack.