Ultra Runners

First ultra this weekend - 50k (Read 439 times)

Should be interesting. I feel like I could have prepared better, but not much I can do about that now. It's a 50k with 8k ft of elevation gain. I'm just looking to have a good time.

Since this is my first time running more than 4.5hrs I haven't really dealt with eating solids during a race. I know I should have practiced this. Sad I'll be out there a while so I imagine I'll need more than gus/blocks/etc. Any recommendations for foods that are least likely to come back up? Smile

I just volunteered at a 100 mile race and compared to that this seems so insignificant...I am having a hard time taking it seriously. Even though it is guaranteed to be a big challenge for me.

~Sara
    It's supposed to be hard. If it wasn't hard, everyone would do it. The hard is what makes it great. ~ Jimmy Dugan

Good Luck Sara

The last 5 miles/8 kilometres will be a little tough but it looks like you have put the miles in and had a recent marathon to put you at the finish line.

Keep moving forward, keep drinking and eating, remember your body can't digest more than ~300 calories per hour so keep the intake simple.

Jerry
      A runners blog-updated daily

You'll ruin your knees!

First off, 50K is NOT insignificant!  We can always prepare better, but we go with what we have...

Just remember... right foot, left foot, repeat until someone tells you it's OK to stop!  As for the eating, if yo uare used to gus/blocks, etc, go with that.  Once you are more interested in jumping off a cliff than taking another gu, then try something  solid from the aid station.  If you worked a 100 mile race, you saw that those folks ate a variety of things and it didn't kill them.  The main thing is to fuel, fuel and fuel! 

Best of luck!

Lynn B

""...the truth that someday, you will go for your last run. But not today—today you got to run." - Matt Crownover (after Western States)

Can't add much beyond what has been said.  Fueling is going to be key.  Personally, I'd rather jump off a cliff that EVER eat a GU . . . but that's just me.

Re eating solids - if and when you decide to do that, I guess my recommendation would be to carry a small ziplock-type baggie, put food from the station in it, and eat small amounts at a time over the next mile or two after leaving the station.  This might help to give you an idea of what's going to upset your stomach and what won't.  Me - I can't do anything greasy like chips.  Makes me nauseous within 5-10 minutes.  Tough lesson learned.

The boiled potatoes might be the most gentle thing on your system, and usually when they're available, there's salt to dip them in, as well.

Good luck, and remember to report back to us!

Leslie
          Living and Running Behind the Redwood Curtain
          -------------

Trail Runner Nation

Sally McCrae-Choose Strong

Bare Performance

Very helpful!! THANK YOU!

One other question... on the hiking vs. running, do you have any personal rules you follow or tips? I hear a lot of "walk the climbs" and "run the flats and downs". Any other strategies? Like run a mile, walk a quarter, etc.

Lynn - the 100 miler I was at was the CCC100. I see you were there a few years ago. I was at mile 80. Seems like a great race.

~Sara
            It's supposed to be hard. If it wasn't hard, everyone would do it. The hard is what makes it great. ~ Jimmy Dugan

Sara

There are lots of mantras around about "Walk the slopes, Run the flats" but the most important thing is to remember your pace.

I am running a 56 mile trail run on Sunday as you may have read, the check points are every 9-10 miles and we have agreed between ourselves that we will aim for 90-120 minutes per checkpoint which is approximately 10 minute miles. Using a Garmin or using mile markers you can pace yourself and therefore you can take a view and afford to walk sometimes

I heard a great one the other day, if you want to be running at 100 miles, you have to be walking at 3 miles. This is just a little phrase to remember that tells you not to go sprinting off at the start, Save a little at the start and it will allow you to spend at the end.

I honestly think that if you can run a marathon you will be able to dig deep and get the 32 mile but treat it with respect, those last 6 have sting in their tail so fluids and food.

Jerry

Purdey

Self anointed title

I heard a great one the other day, if you want to be running at 100 miles, you have to be walking at 3 miles. This is just a little phrase to remember that tells you not to go sprinting off at the start, Save a little at the start and it will allow you to spend at the end.

Nice find Jerry.  I am planning to run 25 mins / walk 5 mins in my 24hr race. 

Certainly a lot of trail races lead themselves to "walk the up, run the down and the flat".

Nice find Jerry.  I am planning to run 25 mins / walk 5 mins in my 24hr race. 

Certainly a lot of trail races lead themselves to "walk the up, run the down and the flat".

I like that run 25 mins / walk 5 mins idea and it certainly worked for me at Faversham during the latter part of the race when it came to the infamous "Faversham Hillock".

It also reminds me that we have to get talking about my support offer to you at your 24 hour run. I think it can be dealt with on PM, email or another thread.

Jerry

Purdey

Self anointed title

In truth it will probably start as 27/3 and then gradually morph into 25/5.

Jerry - will pm you ref very kind offer of support.

...---...

Good luck Sara - I'll be pulling for you.

San Francisco - 7/29/12

Warrior Dash Ohio II - 8/26/12

Chicago - 10/7/12

Whether or not I walk the hills depends on the grade and/or length.  If I can get up just as fast power walking, and thereby using less energy, I'll walk it.  Even if someone's passing me slowly - like Ultrachick has said, you can make up the real estate on the flats or downhills.

I also incorporated a run/walk.  Mostly 20/2.  Whatever combo you use, the walking breaks also give you a chance to get fuel, aka food, in you.  You can always set your Garmin or watch, if you use one and it has the ability, to go every X-minutes so that you remember to take the walking/eating breaks.

Leslie
                        Living and Running Behind the Redwood Curtain
                        -------------

Trail Runner Nation

Sally McCrae-Choose Strong

Bare Performance

Happy

I am going to do my first 50K on Oct 4 - I have been considering using a timed run/walk strategy rather than waiting until I feel like I need a walk break. I've read elsewhere (Tom Osler, Stu Mittleman) that walk breaks inserted from the beginnning of the race will give you the ability to keep on running for a longer time. For me as a beginner I have not been experimenting with a certain ratio in my training long-runs - should have!! However, I had been thinking of doing 20min/5min in addition to walking the hills. I am also going to go out conservatively in terms of running pace - just going to run by feel and try to stay feeling comfortable and relaxed and let those feelings guide me.

-----

You guys have confirmed the run/walk approach to be a good idea. What do you think of the 20/5 approach? What did you do when you were doing your first 50K?

_____

Which running shorts do yo use? I used my Race Ready with lots of pockets on the back at Lynch's Wood but my big zip-lock bag with dates made too much of a bounce in the pocket and I had to hold it in my hand for 6.5 miles while finishing that loop. The smaller pockets were good for the s-caps and my Clif Shotbloks. My Race Ready shorts are very short and I didn't have any problem with chafing on the run, however, yesterday, I ran 10.5 miles in a short Addidas track type split short and experienced chafed inner thighs for the first time ever. I had been running in a misty rain for a little while before I noticed that I was chafing - perhaps it was the moisture that made the skin more vulnerable, perhaps it is just my bulging adductor muscles In either event, I do not want to experience chafing while running an Ultra. Any advice as to which trail shorts to use? Compression shorts? Lots of pockets would be good.

5K, 4/28/07 24:16 PR 10K, 5/5/07 49:23 PR 1/2 M, 12/08/07 1:49:34 PR Marathon, 12/09/06 3:57:37 BQ 50K, 10/04/2009 7:27:00 PB 40M, 4/17/2010 11:20:00 PB

...---...

remember your body can't digest more than ~300 calories per hour so keep the intake simple.

Yeah. So where were you when I decided to fight the famine during my 50K? 

Seriously, Sara - take this advice to heart. I speak from experience. 

San Francisco - 7/29/12

Warrior Dash Ohio II - 8/26/12

Chicago - 10/7/12

Thanks again for all the great advice. The race went well. It is nothing compared to the 50-100 mile races some of you folks are running, but it was a challenge for me.

There is a brutally long race report in my log, but here are the highlights...

-    Finished better than expected in 7:39:10 on a 33.5 mile course. 1st in my division and 30th out of 61 overall.
                              -    I never once thought about quitting.
                              -    I love Pringles and will pack them in my drop bags going forward.
                              -    I need to train on hills/mountains more.
                              -    I never had to go to the bathroom…not once. And I was eating/drinking a lot.
                              -    I had to tell myself right-left-right-left at one point to keep going.
                              -    I didn’t fall.
                              -    I didn’t need my iPod (or a lot of other things I packed).
                              -    I got food down fine and never felt nauseous during the race.
                              -    I had fun. A lot of fun.

~Sara

You'll ruin your knees!

Wow!  Congratulations and very well done.  Fun, yep that's the key...

I have several pics of me with my hands on my knees at the finish line... popular pose!

Rest well!

Lynn B

""...the truth that someday, you will go for your last run. But not today—today you got to run." - Matt Crownover (after Western States)