Ultra Runners

Old Pueblo 50 - Finished mostly in one piece (Read 708 times)

Hi everyone, Well, I ran the OP50 and, thankfully, after all the worrying, fretting, threatening to back out and dread, I finished and had an amazing day! I wanted to thank you guys for the advice you've given along the way. I read all the old threads in this topic and in some of the others too when preparing (the trail runners one and such). Anyway, here's a summary of the day: I had absolutely NO stomach issues! Unbelievable! (So didn't need to use a rock Big grin ...see thread titled "Freaking Out"). YAHOOOOOO! Oh, and Lynn, Zantac is my new friend. Cool I hydrated and fueled extremely well despite the temps getting in the 70s...thanks to Succeed capsules every hour, a full water bottle between every aid station, some sunscreen, boiled potatoes and salt, gummy bears, a can of chicken broth at miles 29 and 40, 1/2 grilled cheese sandwich at mile 33 and some red bull at each aid station! I ran better, smarter and faster than I thought I would and passed at least 10 people between miles 33 and 44.5...that is...until I biffed it big time. I was looking down at my garmin because it said it reached the max number of laps (I set it to lap at every mile). I decided to stop the watch, reset it and restart it. Well, when I did that, I wasn't watching where I was going and tripped and tumbled. I split open my left knee and blood came gushing out. Fortunately, the woman I was getting ready to pass was so nice and so quick to give me tissues and her bandana. We made a makeshift tourniquet/bandage thing to apply pressure and stop the bleeding. I told her to go on ahead and asked her if she would let the 46 mile aid station know I was hurt in case they didn't see me within a reasonable amount of time. I walked there with my left leg straight, which was quite awkward, and they replaced the bandana with an ace bandage once I got there. With 4.5 miles left to go (the course is actually 50.5 or so miles), I told them there was no way I was going to drop out. So off I went walking with a limp but going as fast as I could. I would have finished WAY earlier than scheduled with an estimate time of 11.5 hrs up to the point that I fell. But despite having to limp to the finish, I still finished BARELY before dark. The final times aren't posted yet, but if I turned my garmin on quickly enough after falling, then my time should be around 12 hrs 47 minutes. I couldn't believe it! Here I was wanting to finish before Sunday and instead I finished before dark on Saturday! What an amazing day I had! I can completely see why people run ultras! I had so much fun and met so many nice people along the way. Everyone had stories to tell of ultras they have run and one gal was even trying to talk me into running Badwater. She has run it twice and said that at least you run on the road and don't have the falling hazards you have like in this race. Hahaha! I'm still pretty sure that wouldn't convince me to run 137 miles in the heat of the desert of Death Valley! What an amazing group of people I met! With runners wearing 50 and 100 mile race shirts all around me, I knew I was running with a whole different group of people than I've ever run with before. I was so inspired. The views were fantastic. The volunteers were so supportive. The race director's mom was even at the end waiting to check out my injured leg. (She was a nurse for many years.) I can't wait for my next ultra! Smile Smile Smile

Ultrachick

Congratulations rroush! Nice report! You better save your report somewhere so you can include it with your essay on why you want to run Badwater in a few years. I've tripped and fallen in races too. I fell in the same area of a race two years in a row. I was in the VT 50K in 2005 and fell about 8 miles from the finish. In 2006 I ran the 50M and I remembered the area when I got there and was noticing how it had changed in a year and the next thing you know I was face down in the dirt! I made it through last year without falling. Great job on your first ultra-what's next? Kelly
      If you never go fast, you'll never go fast.

Into the wild

Nice one Rebecca...and just in time as I'm getting nervy about my run in April. Shame about the tumble you took; I guess it robbed an otherwise perfect day. What was the course ascent/descent..? I was on holiday a couple of weeks back and did something similar; perhaps there's a lesson to be learned about staying focused toward the end of a run, just when you think you have it beaten. My excuse was trying to run while watching an airplane land a couple of kms ahead of me...that after I'd done all the technical stuff and was coasting the last 3km home...I took a tumble, grazed open my right knee and did the same as you: dusted myself down, checked for other damage and tied on tissues with a bandana Wink Again, well done. Very inspirational.

Shut up and run

You'll ruin your knees!

Sweeeeeet! Nice race, and bonus blood to boot! Awesome! I have several friends that were there, but have not been able to catch up with them on how the race went. Congrats on an awesome time in spite of the fall and slow last miles, your race plan was dead on! Lynn B

""...the truth that someday, you will go for your last run. But not today—today you got to run." - Matt Crownover (after Western States)

t_runner

Awesome job! You make me want to try a 50 miler!
              I've tripped and fallen in races too. I fell in the same area of a race two years in a row.
              Wow. I'll have to be extra careful if I run this race again! What a bummer that you fell in the same spot twice!
              I made it through last year without falling.
              This is what I'm looking forward to! I fell at the Pemberton 50K just 3 weeks ago. Each fall gets progressively worse. I was talking to some runners at this last race who said that they've broken their arms and wrists before from falls. I think maybe I should invest in some elbow and knee pads after all!
              Great job on your first ultra-what's next?
              I don't know yet. The PCT 50 looks fun! I have to find races that I can get to and from quickly since I'm a mom and a student. Not very much time for travel. As an aside, do you know how long it takes for a laceration on the knee to heal? This will be the first year that I'll miss a local 1/2 marathon. It's in 2 weeks and I have a feeling I won't be healed by then.
                Nice one Rebecca...and just in time as I'm getting nervy about my run in April.
                Yeah! You have a race coming up! Let us know how it goes. I was really nervous but that all went away once I started running. Smile
                What was the course ascent/descent..?
                Here's some info on the race: "A challenging 50 mile loop course on service roads and trails through the southeastern part of the Santa Rita Mountains." Low point in course: 4031 ft, High point in course: 5847 ft Ave grade is 6% with 7000 ft climb and 7000 ft descent over the 50 miles I don't know how this compares to other 50 milers. What's the course like for the 50 miler you're doing in April?
                perhaps there's a lesson to be learned about staying focused toward the end of a run, just when you think you have it beaten. My excuse was trying to run while watching an airplane land a couple of kms ahead of me...that after I'd done all the technical stuff and was coasting the last 3km home...I took a tumble, grazed open my right knee and did the same as you: dusted myself down, checked for other damage and tied on tissues with a bandana
                Yep, I already made a "note to self" to do nothing but watch where I'm going during these races. If I need to check my watch, I'm definitely gonna stop next time! How long did it take your knee to heal? It's killing me that my legs will be ready to run but my knee won't let me even bend it yet! MTA: fixed typo...can't spell. Smile
                  Awesome job! You make me want to try a 50 miler!
                  Hi Teresa, I looked at your profile and we are the same height, same weight and approx same age. (I'm 33.) I started running when I was 28 and ran my first marathon when I was 29. I have 2 kids. Do you have kids? Anyway, if I can do it, you can do it! Smile

You'll ruin your knees!

Oh my! Heard from my friends that did OP50 and one had a mountain lion cross the trail right behind him! Witnessed by another Tx runner... Shocked The blood/skin you left on the rock where you fell must have been like chum in the water!

""...the truth that someday, you will go for your last run. But not today—today you got to run." - Matt Crownover (after Western States)

t_runner

Hi Teresa, I looked at your profile and we are the same height, same weight and approx same age. (I'm 33.) I started running when I was 28 and ran my first marathon when I was 29. I have 2 kids. Do you have kids? Anyway, if I can do it, you can do it! Smile
                      Boy I have even less excuses, got no kids Smile Well, 5, but they're all of the feline/canine variety, and the two dogs are eager running partners (sometimes a bit too eager!). Let's see, I started running when I was 24, ran my first marathon at 26, and my first ultra (50K) just about a month ago at age 30... It took me a while to convince myself mentally that I was ready for even the 50K, and I flew through it. I mean, I went slow as anything, but I never bonked, luckily never fell, and felt strong at the end... Hearing all your worries and thoughts of dropping out, and then your success at the 50 mile distance, that is very inspiring though!! I am signed up for the Mt. Diablo 50K on June 8th, and then there's a 50/100 miler in my neck of the woods - it's the Mohican 100 two short weeks after that. Don't know what Mt. Diablo is going to do to my legs, since I don't normally train on mountains (living in Ohio limits my terrain). Otherwise there aren't a lot of 50 milers nearby to me, and I don't have a big travel budget this year...
                        Oh my! Heard from my friends that did OP50 and one had a mountain lion cross the trail right behind him! Witnessed by another Tx runner... Shocked The blood/skin you left on the rock where you fell must have been like chum in the water!
                        Wow. I wonder where he saw it. I'm so glad I didn't see any mountain lions. My dad volunteered to put out glow sticks over the last few miles for those finishing in the dark. So he was out there on his mountain bike. When he saw I was hurt, he decided to stay behind me the rest of my way back. (He was done with the glow sticks.) He didn't tell me until yesterday that he had seen a mountain lion out there in the past when he was mountain biking. Guess he was worried I'd be dinner for one of them.
                          Boy I have even less excuses, got no kids Smile I am signed up for the Mt. Diablo 50K on June 8th, and then there's a 50/100 miler in my neck of the woods - it's the Mohican 100 two short weeks after that. Don't know what Mt. Diablo is going to do to my legs, since I don't normally train on mountains (living in Ohio limits my terrain). Otherwise there aren't a lot of 50 milers nearby to me, and I don't have a big travel budget this year...
                          If you take it easy for the 50K then rest up real well for the Mohican, it might just work out perfectly! I bet the course at Mt. Diablo will be beautiful. My sis and I ran the Golden Hills Trail Marathon last Oct, which is in the hills near Oakland. I LOVED the views and the trees and scenery! The Mohican looks beautiful too! I looked through some of the photos and I just can't get over all the trees! If you feel up for it physically, then you should go for it. It was the staying in it mentally part that was hard for me in the last 2 months. Honestly, it was just good ole fear, but my friends never let me back out. Smile
                          t_runner

If you take it easy for the 50K then rest up real well for the Mohican, it might just work out perfectly! I bet the course at Mt. Diablo will be beautiful. My sis and I ran the Golden Hills Trail Marathon last Oct, which is in the hills near Oakland. I LOVED the views and the trees and scenery! The Mohican looks beautiful too! I looked through some of the photos and I just can't get over all the trees! If you feel up for it physically, then you should go for it. It was the staying in it mentally part that was hard for me in the last 2 months. Honestly, it was just good ole fear, but my friends never let me back out. Smile
                            That's what friends are for! So awesome that they pushed you into such a great accomplishment. None of my "real life" running friends have gone past marathon distance, and most don't even do that as often. So I'll have to count on these forums to keep me from backing out. You know, you really have me wanting to do the Mohican 50! I'll have to post back around May when the fear starts to hit me Smile I did Golden Hills in 2006 - small world! It was gorgeous!! I credit that with planting the trail ultra bug, since it took me over 6 hours to complete... Not to mention seeing the people doing the concurrent 50 miler (while my brain is saying "What! They are doing these hills twice?!?!") I am from OH, but I have a sister who lives in the Bay area of CA, so I plan my visits around races... Nice to get a change of scenery every now and then.

Wasatch Speedgoat

Wow, great run....congrats! I have heard from some that were there, this is was one tough run! Good job! Now on to the next one! Steve

Life is short, play hard!

I did Golden Hills in 2006 - small world! It was gorgeous!! I credit that with planting the trail ultra bug, since it took me over 6 hours to complete... Not to mention seeing the people doing the concurrent 50 miler (while my brain is saying "What! They are doing these hills twice?!?!")
                                I had been thinking of doing an ultra for about a year and a half. I, like you, saw the runners doing the 50 at that race and thought the same thing you thought. I don't know what it was like in 2006, but last year it was SOOOO muddy! It had rained the entire day on Friday (the day before) and we ran in tons of mud. So much so that I had to keep kicking it off every so often because it built up like a whole other layer of shoe. When I saw the 50 milers coming at me, I was in awe that they were actually going to go through that mud twice. What really got me was that the only people passing my sister and I at the end of it were the 50 milers. While we arrived at 5 hrs 46 mins, they were arriving in under 9 hrs for 50 incredible miles. I was awestruck. I think that's why my friends had an easy time talking me into signing up for a 50 because it was right after the Golden Hills race.
                                That's what friends are for! So awesome that they pushed you into such a great accomplishment. None of my "real life" running friends have gone past marathon distance, and most don't even do that as often. So I'll have to count on these forums to keep me from backing out.
                                Yep! That's what we're here for! You just sign up and I'll work on keeping you motivated. Smile